• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Or rebrand as $tockli.

I bought them because they are really not that much more than comparable skis.
Really, once you go over $1000 do you really whine about a few hundred more ?...I see Head E race pro's for more than I paid for my WRTP's
My '21 AR's bought in '22 were the same price as Rossi LTti's on sale at the end of '22

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
17BD1810-CB00-40DB-9B83-FEB9A35EFF7B.jpeg

Yes, that is a tire track. I ran over my skis … in my camper. They seem to be ok :huh:

Peter P

Booting up
Skier
Hi, If anyone has both the Stockli SL and the Stockli FIS SL, can you please elaborate on their nuances/feel. I am looking for a slalom ski for Nastar because at Deer Valley they have been setting the gates closer and closer lately ... about 13 meters on some days - even though this is not regulation! I currently have WRTs 172cm and absolutely love them. When the gates are set at 15meters plus, the WRTs crush the course but when they are set at 13meters I have to work so much harder and rather not. Before the WRTs I used to love my SXs which are definitely easier to bend but 72 underfoot is too wide for efficient transitioning while racing. I also feel the extra weight of the WRTs give me more momentum to bomb down the course. That being said, if I get a non-FIS Laser SL with WRT plate and binding set-up, would that be the perfect ski for a 13m course? Is the FIS version necessary? A friend says it is a bitch to bend. Also, I read that for 2023/2024 Stockli is going to update the Laser SL with some new carbon turning tech. Finally, will the laser SL with WRT plate/binding set-up weight almost as much as FIS set-up? Thanks

smv

Booting up
Skier
Hi, If anyone has both the Stockli SL and the Stockli FIS SL, can you please elaborate on their nuances/feel. I am looking for a slalom ski for Nastar because at Deer Valley they have been setting the gates closer and closer lately ... about 13 meters on some days - even though this is not regulation! I currently have WRTs 172cm and absolutely love them. When the gates are set at 15meters plus, the WRTs crush the course but when they are set at 13meters I have to work so much harder and rather not. Before the WRTs I used to love my SXs which are definitely easier to bend but 72 underfoot is too wide for efficient transitioning while racing. I also feel the extra weight of the WRTs give me more momentum to bomb down the course. That being said, if I get a non-FIS Laser SL with WRT plate and binding set-up, would that be the perfect ski for a 13m course? Is the FIS version necessary? A friend says it is a bitch to bend. Also, I read that for 2023/2024 Stockli is going to update the Laser SL with some new carbon turning tech. Finally, will the laser SL with WRT plate/binding set-up weight almost as much as FIS set-up? Thanks
I don’t own both, but tried them before I decided on the SL-FIS/160. One thing is for sure, these are totaly diferent skis. Your friend is right, the FIS version is a bitch to bend. I have it on WTR 12 binding and plate and had to buy a dedicated 140 boot to drive it…! But hell, its a beast.. The SL @165 with SRT12 I tried is a wonderfull ski to have but perhaps not for what you are looking to do with it. True, the 23-24 version will have carbon sidewalls ( instead of the current ABS) and a 0.5/3 factory tune from the 0.7/3 current one. Get the FIS one size smaller than the normal SL. It’s a Laser guided missile on tracks! An exhilarating experience once you step on them…

Peter P

Booting up
Skier
I don’t own both, but tried them before I decided on the SL-FIS/160. One thing is for sure, these are totaly diferent skis. Your friend is right, the FIS version is a bitch to bend. I have it on WTR 12 binding and plate and had to buy a dedicated 140 boot to drive it…! But hell, its a beast.. The SL @165 with SRT12 I tried is a wonderfull ski to have but perhaps not for what you are looking to do with it. True, the 23-24 version will have carbon sidewalls ( instead of the current ABS) and a 0.5/3 factory tune from the 0.7/3 current one. Get the FIS one size smaller than the normal SL. It’s a Laser guided missile on tracks! An exhilarating experience once you step on them…
Thanks for the feedback. Why don't you think the Non-FIS SL in 165 and with WRT plate wouldn't be sufficient? Wouldn't WRT plate and binding + all of the new stuff for 23/24 bring it somewhere in the middle?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Thanks for the feedback. Why don't you think the Non-FIS SL in 165 and with WRT plate wouldn't be sufficient? Wouldn't WRT plate and binding + all of the new stuff for 23/24 bring it somewhere in the middle?

I haven't been on these skis. However, in this specific circumstance it makes sense to me that you'd want to be on the FIS ski. The reason is that racing a "GS" course - even a very tight one - is already a bit of a risky proposition on an SL ski. It's just all too easy too hook those things up too abruptly at too high a speed, when your head is in full-on race mode. (That, essentially, is why the FIS increased the allowed radius for GS a while back, right?) The FIS will likely have a slightly higher radius to begin with, but, more importantly, the stiffness helps prevent "folding" the ski - and your shin - when pushed beyond its design intention.

Peter P

Booting up
Skier
I haven't been on these skis. However, in this specific circumstance it makes sense to me that you'd want to be on the FIS ski. The reason is that racing a "GS" course - even a very tight one - is already a bit of a risky proposition on an SL ski. It's just all too easy too hook those things up too abruptly at too high a speed, when your head is in full-on race mode. (That, essentially, is why the FIS increased the allowed radius for GS a while back, right?) The FIS will likely have a slightly higher radius to begin with, but, more importantly, the stiffness helps prevent "folding" the ski - and your shin - when pushed beyond its design intention.
Thanks … as far as sizing goes Stockli says your height minus 15cm no matter if pro or beginner … so I am 5’11” 182lbs … according to Stockli 165cm but should I get 160cm instead since I am not going to be doing World Cup races?

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
165 FIS SL definitely. My bf is 5'7" 175lbs, has both the 165 FIS and the recreational SL's and hasn't touched the recreational ones since he got the FIS. Much better ski. Piston plate and Comp 16 bindings. Not hard to bend, magical skis.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks … as far as sizing goes Stockli says your height minus 15cm no matter if pro or beginner.
Race skis are their own thing, first of all. AND there's more to it than just height. I'm thinking if you're using the Stockli online sizing algorithm to size slalom skis there is something slightly "off" about the whole situation, and maybe you should talk to a coach about the best choice.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 192350
Yup… joined the "Stoked Club!"

Never skied anything like them before… thank you Tony S for your help.

1) Initiation is a “snap” like an SL
2) Progression from “Soft to Stable” underfoot.
3) Lots of Rebound and Deflection
I need some shorter people to start buying in on the hype so I can clean up on the resale market later. I'll put in an order now for a 163cm AX or AS. Plate bindings preferred. Thanks.

Sponsor

Staff online