• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony Storaro , you've been criticizing a number of the new Stocklis for poor graphics (in your opinion) and design changes to make them more accessible. I think @slidingmike has a point. You're a great resource for the forum but your about-face on Stockli seems a bit extreme and personal. That may not be how you're feeling but that's how it comes across.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
@Tony Storaro , you've been criticizing a number of the new Stocklis for poor graphics (in your opinion) and design changes to make them more accessible. I think @slidingmike has a point. You're a great resource for the forum but your about-face on Stockli seems a bit extreme and personal. That may not be how you're feeling but that's how it comes across.
They did have some really bad graphics a few years back but lately they've been okay...at least I think so.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
[a bit extreme and personal.

Personal? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Stockli is a company, not a person unless you think their CEO is reading here in which case: Marc, STOP IT or else forget about XMas cards from me!

Come to think of it, that’s not a bad idea at all, let me go on LinkedIn and flame the dude a little… :ogbiggrin: Tell him what I really think.

But it is not all bad, look here:

IMG_1111.jpeg

Nice, right?

Too bad these as any other FIS GS skis are only good for about 5 runs in the morning after which they get absolutely pointless.
Which leads us back to the criticism on WRTs which in their current version are waaaaaaay better daily driver than any 20+ skis. For me.

Last edited:

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
You're a great resource for the forum but your about-face on Stockli seems a bit extreme and personal.
The biggest supporters often become the loudest critics when they feel abandoned or that their interests are marginalized. Common theme across marketing, politics, religion, etc. It’s not all that surprising that some of the early hard core supporters are upset if they feel like Stöckli is no longer making skis for them and is ignoring their interests. Whether that perception is correct or not is another issue.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Personal? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Stockli is a company, not a person unless you think their CEO is reading here in which case: Marc, STOP IT or else forget about XMas cards from me!

Come to think of it, that’s not a bad idea at all, let me go on LinkedIn and flame the dude a little… :ogbiggrin: Tell him what I really think.

But it is not all bad, look here:

View attachment 231062

Nice, right?

Too bad these as any other FIS GS skis are only good for about 5 runs in the morning after which they get absolutely pointless.
Which leads us back to the criticism on WRTs which in their current version are waaaaaaay better daily driver than any 20+ skis. For me.

Personal for you, not the company. Like a personal affront to you because Stockli the company designed something you don't like.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah good luck with that.

View attachment 231034

People don’t need good ski man, what people need is accessibility and friendly and no efforts and…holes in the metal laminate…
Now, that last bit about the holes.... If it sets up the same keyhole dynamics,
but also has the incredible flex/precise edge carve of that OG WRT ST (entirely possible,
given what that keyhole tech actually does and doesn't do), then what we'd get is a winner,
hands down (based on my own experience with the keyhole skis).
At the same time, it would be literally a winner, probably - something that
might well improve times for someone like Marco Odermatt
(a scary possibility!) :)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now, that last bit about the holes.... If it sets up the same keyhole dynamics,
but also has the incredible flex/precise edge carve of that OG WRT ST (entirely possible,
given what that keyhole tech actually does and doesn't do), then what we'd get is a winner,
hands down (based on my own experience with the keyhole skis).
At the same time, it would be literally a winner, probably - something that
might well improve times for someone like Marco Odermatt
(a scary possibility!) :)

Holes in the titanal layer is something for AX and AR I understand. Probably they will test the waters with them first before going full drillium layers across the board. :roflmao:

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Stockli adding Keyhole technology?! Bode isn’t going to be happy ;)
Stockli will never add keyholes.

He is talking about a modified version of the same cuts Stockli has been doing with the turtle shell and torsion steering control for the past decade.

Last edited:

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Well, at least it means they know he's on to something.

Not at all. Stockli doesn't even know or care what Bode is doing.

This is why the internet is a mess of misinformation. Let's be careful not to confuse people.

Stockli has been cutting the metal in the skis for a long time. Stockli does not cut big holes in the middle of the skis made by the same factory that makes most kid's skis.

Stockli did cut holes in the metal at the tips and tails of the skis back in 16-17 on the SR 95 and SR 100 and SR 107. Not holes in front of the binding.

Last edited:

LindseyB

Stöckli
Industry Insider
Manufacturer
Since we are almost to April and to Prevent the spread of more misinformation:

The next AR and AX have a more robust core and dual cuts in the tip and tail going forward. These skis are not easier. I would say the nearly identical ski personality with higher speed limits and slightly more dampening.

The Lasers have some carry over. SC SL GS are same going forward.

The MX is redesigned, wider (71mm) and faster/more capable at higher speed, but still slalom play turn personality.

The CX and SX have turtleshell 2.0 going forward.

The Nela 88 and 96 are slightly lighter and have more pop/rebound. Every lady skiing both current version and the new version liked the new version more. The bigger change was in the Nela 96. Very noticeable in the response of the ski.

The WRT PRO and WRT are now both with FIS sidewalls. The WRT mold has a tail with more grip than previous version. The ski has more rebound. It is still a Formula 1 car, but I would say it is modernized for more response. Get it with the new WRT binding.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Just to let you know, we had someone who lent his 166 Montero AS’s for two runs at Mount Orford in Quebec. If you are ever in that area I recommend you pop out there with some carvers or race skis. Lots of technical skiers there it seems.

Anyway, after half a run of being too worried he would damage the top sheets, he finally started skiing. Noticeable improvement in his skiing from just watching down below. Smoother entry to the turn, smoother throughout, and more confidence. In the longer turns speed went up. He was also very happy about the skiing.

He’s now in a spiral dilemma of how to pay rent and get some Montero As skis.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You've been beating this drum until the skin has ripped... Maybe it's time to get on the new versions before you excoriate any further?
So, he has been on (and bought) new Stockli model versions.

And, to me, he was specifically referring to the difference between the initial WRT ST 172 with WRT binding setup,
and the later ones, at least from my perspective, since I posted about it, and he commented about it at the time.
(There may be other, more all mountain Stockli models he has posted about in a similar way.)

I do not regard this as "negative," or the other pop psychology stuff posted, but more likely just the response
of a progressing skier in Europe, who must of necessity ski lots of wetter snow, often crowded, groomer
and smooth terrain, for hours, and whose awareness of the whole realm of near race and race Stocklis (among a few others)
has been expanding over the years. Maybe he's become a better, more demanding front side skier in the process, who knows? :)

Also, it was not only his so-called "negative" idea/impression about the greater consumer accessibility going into the later
WRT ST 172 versions: this was something very specifically told to me, using the words "easier" and "more
accessible," by a local(?) Stockli rep who happened to be in the Stockli demo tent at the Loveland Basin demo
a couple of years ago. He (and I) liked the more recent versions. But we both liked more the OG version - dang,
I've remembered my runs on it ever since, from no more than the 6-8 runs I got on it total - and I've more than half wished
I'd bought it at the time.

Apologies, @LindseyB , but I posted that admittedly exaggerated post about keyholes just because I was half hopeful to see
what a Stockli response and point of view might be. Please forgive me wanting to find out so directly, from folks on this thread. :)

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. I don't care a fig about graphics; just how these wonderful suckers ski,
starting with the SR XXL back in the day. (I've owned four of those.
They seem to last longer than any ski I've ever owned.)
And their shape, at least, is the exact same shape as the Laser AX from a
few years back.

Last edited:

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
So, he has been on (and bought) new Stockli model versions.

And, to me, he was specifically referring to the difference between the initial WRT ST 172 with WRT binding setup,
and the later ones, at least from my perspective, since I posted about it, and he commented about it at the time.
(There may be other, more all mountain Stockli models he has posted about in a similar way.)

I do not regard this as "negative," or the other pop psychology stuff posted, but more likely just the response
of a progressing skier in Europe, who must of necessity ski lots of wetter snow, often crowded, groomer
and smooth terrain, for hours, and whose awareness of the whole realm of near race and race Stocklis (among a few others)
has been expanding over the years. Maybe he's become a better, more demanding front side skier in the process, who knows? :)

Also, it was not only his so-called "negative" idea/impression about the greater consumer accessibility going into the later
WRT ST 172 versions: this was something very specifically told to me, using the words "easier" and "more
accessible," by a local(?) Stockli rep who happened to be in the Stockli demo tent at the Loveland Basin demo
a couple of years ago. He (and I) liked the more recent versions. But we both liked more the OG version - dang,
I've remembered my runs on it ever since, from no more than the 6-8 runs I got on it total - and I've more than half wished
I'd bought it at the time.

Apologies, @LindseyB , but I posted that admittedly exaggerated post about keyholes just because I was half hopeful to see
what a Stockli response and point of view might be. Please forgive me wanting to find out so directly, from folks on this thread. :)
Are we talking about the 2025 versions? If so, I'll fully retract my admonition.

ctsnowplow

Getting on the lift
Skier

The next AR and AX have a more robust core and dual cuts in the tip and tail going forward. These skis are not easier. I would say the nearly identical ski personality with higher speed limits and slightly more dampening.

The Lasers have some carry over. SC SL GS are same going forward.

The MX is redesigned, wider (71mm) and faster/more capable at higher speed, but still slalom play turn personality.

The CX and SX have turtleshell 2.0 going forward.

The Nela 88 and 96 are slightly lighter and have more pop/rebound. Every lady skiing both current version and the new version liked the new version more. The bigger change was in the Nela 96. Very noticeable in the response of the ski.

The WRT PRO and WRT are now both with FIS sidewalls. The WRT mold has a tail with more grip than previous version. The ski has more rebound. It is still a Formula 1 car, but I would say it is modernized for more response. Get it with the new WRT binding.
Is the NEW WRT Binding the Icon RS 16?

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stockli will never add keyholes.

He is talking about a modified version of the same cuts Stockli has been doing with the turtle shell and torsion steering control for the past decade.

Just in case it wasn't clear, I was joking about the keyhole being copied. No one in their right mind would actually think that Stockli would be copying Peak.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is a forum for us to discuss OUR thoughts on equipment and brands, and not a brand owned site that we have to tip-toe around criticizing the brands products, correct? Lindsey strikes me as a tough cookie, he can handle some colorful tantrums (and probably read between the emotions/sarcasm).

P.S. the new graphics on the WRT's suck

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online