• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
"i love my sc with plate but don’t think of it as a bump ski."

My SC's are great in bumps, much better than the my WRT ST, AX, or AR.

And while my WRT ST's are fun, I don't find the as "ELECTRYFING" or "Smaketh Down" laying as a FIS SL or GS......

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
"i love my sc with plate but don’t think of it as a bump ski."

My SC's are great in bumps, much better than the my WRT ST, AX, or AR.

And while my WRT ST's are fun, I don't find the as "ELECTRYFING" or "Smaketh Down" laying as a FIS SL or GS......

This actually makes sense, given the hybrid nature of the ST i.e. it's a compromise. I'd be tempted to step up from the VRT SL to the WRT if they offered it in a 170 length - 165 just seems too short for my old, stiff body.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As Matthew McConaughey would put it: Alright, alright, alright....

Second testing day of the WRT ST:

IMG_8697.jpg

Proper refrozen cord, hoho.

But first: a disclaimer: In order to avoid any unnecessary discussions of the sort: My ski are more ski than your ski and the FIS ski are the skiest of them all, please note that all that I say about the WRT ST, all my opinions are based solely on the comparison between them, the AX, SR95, SL and partly the GS, which I admit I spent too little time on but at this point I have no desire to spend more.
If next season I sing praises of WRT GS FIS, I will make another disclaimer of the same sort.
Just so we are clear.

OK, today I decided I'd only ski the black beauties and unlike last time I did not even bother to bring safety net in the form of SR95 or AX.
Speaking of AX, between the two days on the WRT ST I took them out just to see more clearly what the difference between them and the STs are. Well, as usual they performed admirably up to the point when big patches of sheer ice formed on the slope at which moment there were a couple of "Oops, that was close" moments.
I blame that on the 1.3/2 tune, but at this point as Anakin Skywalker would say: It is too late for me my son.
Too late to get them back to 0,75-1 base. Or at least I think so. I might be wrong, I know little about tuning.

Back to the WRT ST-oh man, at this point in time I just do not want to be on anything else-fast, furious, grippy, GRIPPY. Turn after turn-sheer perfection.
Today was the same as the previous testing day in terms of cautious approach and holding them back a little. With the baby at home and my wife expecting me to help her raising our daughter (crazy I know) I am allowed only a limited amount of dumbassery on the slopes, so I did not push really hard.

And then later in the morning the cord was gone and the snow turned into this:

IMG_8709.jpg

Hard, icy, smooth, chalky......BEAUTY! I LOVE this type of snow. If you think I forgot everything I promised at home, you'd be quite right. What ensued was an hour and a half full speed bombing of the reds. It is difficult to put in words how much do the WRT ST boost your confidence on this type of terrain. You feel like you can do...everything. Amazing.

So, long story short, today I sold my Laser SL and the proceedings went to the "My wife is a skier too" fund, so her Nela 80s for the next season started to shape up real nice.

Contrary to what @KingGrump might think :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: I do not want to own many skis just for the sake of owning them.
I only want skis that make my soul fly and my heart sing.

I am keeping the WRT ST...in case you were wondering...:ogbiggrin:

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
A question about the SR95 bindings.
Stöckli web-site gives as an option the Shift and something called DXM 13. I guess Salomon.
I however do not seem to be able to find these on the interwebs. Any ideas?

I think you might know this, but in case, the DXM binding is simple the private label made for Stockli. The binding is the Warden 13 (marketed under: Salomon, Atomic, Armada, and DXM)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you might know this, but in case, the DXM binding is simple the private label made for Stöckli. The binding is the Warden 13 (marketed under: Salomon, Atomic, Armada, and DXM)

I was only suspecting this, thank you for confirming it.:beercheer:

Now I only need someone to confirm everything will be alright if replace the Shifts on my SR95s with Wardens and I am going ahead with this.

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
Stockli AR update.
For months I debated between the AX and newer AR, I ended up securing a deal on some new AR’s and couldn’t t be more happy! After 25 or so days of 58 total this season, I can report I continue to be in love with the performance and feel of the AR. It rips through the corduroy like a hot knife through butter. Added ego boost, each day I ski them someone asks me about them.

Attachments

• BAE8C3E8-AA37-4C25-BC80-0270DD510395.jpeg
    BAE8C3E8-AA37-4C25-BC80-0270DD510395.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How'd you break the cycle sensei?

When the next pretty face that you are smitten with comes along and she loves skiing as much as you do. Marry her.

Oh, I am sorry. You were referring to skis. There is no breaking that cycle. We just learned to be more discreet.

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
Stöckli AR update.
For months I debated between the AX and newer AR, I ended up securing a deal on some new AR’s and couldn’t t be more happy! After 25 or so days of 58 total this season, I can report I continue to be in love with the performance and feel of the AR. It rips through the corduroy like a hot knife through butter. Added ego boost, each day I ski them someone asks me about them.
haha! exactly. I was pulling my boots after at the end of the day when someone making their last run in the lift lift yells above the crowd, "Man, Those Stocklis are bad ass!" I just smiled..."yes they are"

Dan L.

Booting up
Skier
41040320.jpg
stckli-stormrider-85-motion.png

Does anyone know the difference between 2018 stormrider motion(with colorful pink letters) VS 2019-20 newer SR motion? The older model comes in 167 w. slightly shorter turning radius VS newer 168 with longer TR. Is there any other difference other than this in terms of construction? Considering these skis for my wife and 168 seems tad too long(she is 5'5'' but nela88 160 was too short for her) for her and wondering older one would be better.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stöckli AR update.
Did you go long or shorter for your size? I went 182 on mine and while they're unreal ripping down the slopes, I kind of wish I'd gone with the 175 AX for the more playful ski. Realistically, I'll probably pick the AX's up out of season. Cause I'm dumb and I hate my savings.

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
Did you go long or shorter for your size? I went 182 on mine and while they're unreal ripping down the slopes, I kind of wish I'd gone with the 175 AX for the more playful ski. Realistically, I'll probably pick the AX's up out of season. Cause I'm dumb and I hate my savings.

Yes, I errored on a shorter size. I demo'ed the 175's on both, but sized down to 168 for the AR and think it is perfect for me. I'm 5'7 and 140lbs. If I had bought the AX, I may have stayed at 175 (not sure) as I thought that it was more forgiving and less weight. Ideally, you can demo first to decide. I've heard from others that on the AX line, the 175 is the most balanced of all sizes. For me the AR I have in fantastic!

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
" I think you might know this, but in case, the DXM binding is simple the private label made for Stöckli."
Yep. Salo-Tomic binding in Stöckli color and Stöckli catalog number. A friend has them but wanted more delta--more heel height. We put 1/8" shims & longer screws under the heels, and she feels balanced. Total personal preference.

I'm 5-11, 170#, and the 175 AX is just right for me.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@James - I can tell you that I have it’s little brother (185) with a set of pivots on it patiently waiting for a trip with +4 inches snow in forecast. It’s been a while and I’m questioning now why I own them. :). Mine are the red plaid ones.

I do remember something about having a variable base angle or putting one on them. I tend to break out a flat file on the powder skis anyway.

Sponsor