• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
@James - I can tell you that I have it’s little brother (185) with a set of pivots on it patiently waiting for a trip with +4 inches snow in forecast. It’s been a while and I’m questioning now why I own them. :). Mine are the red plaid ones.

I do remember something about having a variable base angle or putting one on them. I tend to break out a flat file on the powder skis anyway.
Have you skied them? Wondering how the flex pattern is in use. I find my old 192 SR 95’s aren’t great where they should be - 3d snow.
I think it’s 14/15 model, this one v.
54D27899-2B5A-487B-8024-60270A712708.jpeg

Don’t remember who that was with the same ski at Abasin in May 2016.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Have you skied them? Wondering how the flex pattern is in use. I find my old 192 SR 95’s aren’t great where they should be - 3d snow.
View attachment 126351

Does a lap off Teewinot count? Really, I have not. Those are a year or so prior to mine. I’m sure different. I did see those on a rack at Alta and thought “holy crap those are big”. I bought the smaller 185’s and since then have not skied pow when they have been w/ me. Waxed and eagerly waiting an “awakening“.

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
I succumbed to temptation and picked up a pair of Laser AR's from @SkiEssentials this morning. Heading up to Stowe in a few days to acquire them and hopefully see what the fuss is all about.

More Stöckli's is always good. :ogbiggrin:
Mine are in Transit hoping to be here in time for the weekend! Good on ya! Will have some Quiver overlap with My Bolds but looking forward to the "Swiss Ride." Yes More Stocklis is not a bad thing except for the college funds:geek::ogbiggrin:

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
Mine are in Transit hoping to be here in time for the weekend! Good on ya! Will have some Quiver overlap with My Bolds but looking forward to the "Swiss Ride." Yes More Stöcklis is not a bad thing except for the college funds:geek::ogbiggrin:
That's why there's loans...:cool:

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
I've commented on my love of my AR's i own and the AX's I've demo'ed several times. Now a Q for the group:
I'd like to upgrade my wife to the Stockli family, but am struggling on size and model, help?

She is a solid intermediate, able to hit some groomed blacks, skis 90% on piste. She is 5'4 120lbs and is currently on a Salomon QST85. We ski at Squaw/Alpine 99% of the time. Options: AX, AR, Nella 80/88/96 . . . smaller lengths (150-160) that are likely a good fit (?) for her are not available to demo that I've seen.....

Feedback on any of these and sizing for her based on above?

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've commented on my love of my AR's and the AX's I've demo'ed several times. Now a Q for the group:
I'd like to upgrade my wife to the Stöckli family, but am struggling on size and model, help?

I am in the same boat, but my choices are pretty limited as I am buying skis for someone who is 150 cm, 42 kg, so I narrowed it down to Laser MX, Orea Noir and Nela 80 in the shortest versions.
I'll probably go with the Nela 80s based on weight and turn radius.

Would be very grateful for any opinions on the Nela 80s.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
View attachment 126351

Yeah, the "green letter monster" version of the SR95 would not be my pick for a big 3D snow day. I bet those 115s would be fun. We all just want you to pull the trigger and report back... ;)

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah, the "green letter monster" version of the SR95 would not be my pick for a big 3D snow day. I bet those 115s would be fun. We all just want you to pull the trigger and report back... ;)
It’s oddly a good groomer ski. Even with it’s 21.6m radius, (192cm), it’ll make a nice short turn because of the soft tip and strong middle. That may be why it’s really poor frankly in 3-d snow.
It is light which is nice, even with a Pivot 18 on it. (Compared to a slalom ski)
The middle section is unflappable, on groomers at least. In other stuff the ski is so confused I don’t know what it is. But there is the baby seal skin in it.

A 115mm ski. I have like zero need for it. The last thing I would want if I convinced myself I had to have it because they were nearly giving it away, is a wider repeat of that older SR95.

Fat skis are frankly god awful on lumpy groomers. So much tiresome work dealing with them. Could you just make the damn turn and stop hassling me? I was reminded of this last week when the 99mm ski ran out of powder. Prima donna started complaining...

AndréL

Booting up
Skier
It’s been a great read going from the start of this thread, multiple discussions on forward or stock mount line, tuning edges vs factory cut, resin vs powder. Guess it’s my now turn to get ready to jump into the Stockli family for 2021/2022 season. Can’t wait to read the suggestions! I’ll be getting the 2022 version of the skis.

Advanced male skier, 42, 5.11, 210, stocky build. Skied my whole youth, no racing. Got into skiing the past 2 years with my 7yo daughter getting into skiing too. Didn’t ski for the last 15 years after completely blowing out a knee in moguls at Jay Peak. Skiing the groomers of the Canadian East, no interest of doing moguls nor off trails.

Looking for something playful, that can rip when I have the opportunity, can handle the late afternoon crud, not too demanding so that I can follow my daughter around while she grows into the sport and still have plenty of ceiling to keep the skiing interesting.

Currently skiing some 2016 Elan Amphibio 78. My “short” list: Alpha group: Laser SC 170, Laser AX 175. Beta group: Laser AR 175, SR88 175 and SR95 175.

Will be using the stock bindings coming with the skis.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
It’s been a great read going from the start of this thread, multiple discussions on forward or stock mount line, tuning edges vs factory cut, resin vs powder. Guess it’s my now turn to get ready to jump into the Stöckli family for 2021/2022 season. Can’t wait to read the suggestions! I’ll be getting the 2022 version of the skis.

Advanced male skier, 42, 5.11, 210, stocky build. Skied my whole youth, no racing. Got into skiing the past 2 years with my 7yo daughter getting into skiing too. Didn’t ski for the last 15 years after completely blowing out a knee in moguls at Jay Peak. Skiing the groomers of the Canadian East, no interest of doing moguls nor off trails.

Looking for something playful, that can rip when I have the opportunity, can handle the late afternoon crud, not too demanding so that I can follow my daughter around while she grows into the sport and still have plenty of ceiling to keep the skiing interesting.

Currently skiing some 2016 Elan Amphibio 78. My “short” list: Alpha group: Laser SC 170, Laser AX 175. Beta group: Laser AR 175, SR88 175 and SR95 175.

Will be using the stock bindings coming with the skis.

Laser AX 175.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
AX or AR - but isn't a 175 a bit short for build? Might want to size up.....Demo if possible a two sizes....

For me, ski sizing is about turn size preference; nothing more, nothing less. There is no lack of horsepower in the Laser AX. If you're a high speed cruiser, go longer. If you like to "noodle" down the mountain, go shorter.

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
For me, ski sizing is about turn size preference; nothing more, nothing less. There is no lack of horsepower in the Laser AX. If you're a high speed cruiser, go longer. If you like to "noodle" down the mountain, go shorter.
Fair enough. I've always thought if pushing a ski, you can overpower. And, vice versa, a ski can overpower the skier. Maybe this is true for several sizes too small, too big . . .

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This stupid thread. Has no right to have legs like this. Keep getting sucked in.
I succumbed to temptation and picked up a pair of Laser AR's from @SkiEssentials this morning. Heading up to Stowe in a few days to acquire them and hopefully see what the fuss is all about.

More Stöckli's is always good. :ogbiggrin:
You're my hero (please read that comment with a hefty tone of significant jealousy). ;)
He's definitely not my hero. There are only two likely outcomes:
1) He loves them and won't stop giggling on the hill.
2) He sells them and they are too long for me.
Either way I'm not amused.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Meanwhile I think I need the offspring of Nela and Ax.

No. That's not right. What I need is The Construction with a more off piste shape, as Noodler has observed.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fair enough. I've always thought if pushing a ski, you can overpower. And, vice versa, a ski can overpower the skier. Maybe this is true for several sizes too small, too big . . .

You will have tough time trying to overpower the AX in 175. Their softish tips are deceptive, lots of firepower underfoot.

And the more you push, the stiffer they get and the more they push back.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online