• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pinraiser, Quoting an old article about the status of Timberline only serves to confuse new PugSki members looking to learn about the current status of the Perfect Timberline Mountain. This is a site about a rejuvenated Timberline ski area. Your opinion about Ski Southeast and/or it’s personnel is somewhat inappropriate.

To be fair to @Pinraiser, he was responding to an ill-advised post that has since been moved from this thread.

The Colonel

Putting on skis
Skier
I can't think of a safer, socially distant way to take a family ski trip then renting one of those slopeside or walk to houses at TL or Blue Knob. It won't be a super cheap multi family packed house, but it's still not stupid expensive for most families here to pull that off for a long weekend.
Really well said!!!!!!!!

PT22

Booting up
Skier
Here's one family who booked a slope side home on Twister over New Years... with fingers crossed :) Took another look at the extended forecast for the valley on AccuWeather for the month of December... good stuff! Every night shows 20's/Teens/Single digits for the ENTIRE month. Not a rain drop in site during the day. So... if they get the guns running, it looks like there's no reason we shouldn't have the entire mountain open by Christmas.

Pinraiser

Slash spraying rag dolls on "Off the Wall".
Pass Pulled
Here's one family who booked a slope side home on Twister over New Years... with fingers crossed :) Took another look at the extended forecast for the valley on AccuWeather for the month of December... good stuff! Every night shows 20's/Teens/Single digits for the ENTIRE month. Not a rain drop in site during the day. So... if they get the guns running, it looks like there's no reason we shouldn't have the entire mountain open by Christmas.
I was up in the woods all weekend. You're delusional. Should be great family outing otherwise.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Yeh..you dont base anything on the extended Accuweather Fcast but Dude..ur bummin us out Pinster!...GAL(Giggle a little)...shorter term the end of this month will have a cold shot and hopefully by then the extended FCast will give them reason to blow that snow!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Just blow baby blow... all day, all night, people skiing? keep blowing. Blasting snow guns encourage everyone to cover up, wear good, thick neck gaitors all the way up to the goggles, covid mitigation..

Pinraiser

Slash spraying rag dolls on "Off the Wall".
Pass Pulled
Yeh..you dont base anything on the extended Accuweather Fcast but Dude..ur bummin us out Pinster!...GAL(Giggle a little)...shorter term the end of this month will have a cold shot and hopefully by then the extended FCast will give them reason to blow that snow!
Let's not forget they've owned the place for 15 minutes. Time to give some major leeway, benefit of the doubt and totally reset expectations. 2 or 3 top-to-bottom runs by NYE and the Perfect team walks on water.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Let's not forget they've owned the place for 15 minutes. Time to give some major leeway, benefit of the doubt and totally reset expectations. 2 or 3 top-to-bottom runs by NYE and the Perfect team walks on water.
Correction.. 1-2 bottom to top lifts that aren't a safety hazard and actual working snowguns done so team Perfect already walks on water!

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Saturday was in the 40's and rain/misting all day. Over the weekend they were burying some electric and playing with a couple of the wands. They recently poured footers for the magic carpet in beginner area. A lot of work going on both inside the lodge and on the exterior which won't be completed but not important. Between the lodge and parking lot and lifts and lots, they are planning quite a few evergreens. This place is going to look great, but is kind of a muddy mess right now.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
high 20's today, snow squalls in the am. no more than a dusting. Still a muddy mess, I would think several truck loads of gravel in front and the parking lots would go a long way. I guess they are waiting to get the heavy equipment out before doing that. Id' like to see a good entire mountain snow gun test, tonight looks like it would be great. But the next 5 days above 32. So, we may not see it until December.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Snowmaking to start the first week of December, per TLM's Facebook page.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Face Book post an hour ago

Timberline Mountain

1 hr ·

Snowmaking weather is on its way to Timberline Mountain! Since the change in ownership of Timberline last winter, our crew has been working hard on improving the mountain’s infrastructure. This includes replacing the old chairlifts with 2 brand new Doppelmayer lifts, expanding and renovating the base lodge, and a complete overhaul of the snowmaking system.
Timberline Mountain has installed 70+ new SMI Pole Cat snowguns, laid 9,000 feet of snowmaking pipeline, and significantly increased the gallons per minute capacity of our pump houses. We’re putting the finishing touches on this much improved snowmaking system so we can take advantage of the excellent snowmaking weather conditions rolling in the first week of December. Learn more about the process of snowmaking at https://timberlinemountain.com/snowmaking-and-grooming

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
What was the usual order of trail openings back in the day? I seem to remember WL and Sally would be first, followed by The Drop and AH or DD. But I don't remember for sure.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Was just at the base, Quad running laps, still a lot of work to be done. White from midmountain up

If I was up that way I'd go there I'd sneak up there for a quick hit on that LOL Dibbs on first!

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Love the landscaping update with the Evergreens!...fell in love with Canaan and area after discovering that Real Evergreens...not transplanted. Actually thrived there..wasn"t too thrilled at the view of Knarly twisted old leafless trees sking PA for years. Canaan was the real deal!!...I went on a personal planting spree of Spruce and Fir back in the early/mid 90's and called myself Andy Evergreen at the local bars and too anyone that would listen to my nutty butt.. yeh..im nuts and growing up in the Tropics didn't help....anyhoot..been very consistent on the Long range Gfs showing a cold push moving in on the 30th/1st of Dec..showing some sort of funky cutoff low that will be interesting to see play out...like all of you im ready to see those snow guns a blazin!!!

Last edited:

Phaceplanter

Booting up
Skier
Without quoting, in response to some of the comments concerning top to bottom runs being available when they open: PNS being my home hill, I don't think they've ever been open in my 5 years of skiing without having the main top to bottom run, Center Stage, being available whenever they are open.

Hard to compare 400 to 1000 foot vertical, but I would imagine with the increased snowmaking, at least one of the top black or double black runs at TM will be open every day they are open throughout the season.

About opening in November, PNS had their earliest opening last year at this time before Thanksgiving, due to some cold weather, only to be followed up by a dud of a December. If I remember correctly, they had to close some days during the week, but some how kept it open on weekends throughout December until the next solid stretch of snowmaking weather hit in January.

Sponsor

Staff online