• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
So how many runs per hour can you do at TM compared to CVR? With the high speed can you get 6 during midweek?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So how many runs per hour can you do at TM compared to CVR? With the high speed can you get 6 during midweek?
Depends on how fast you ski down, obviously :) I tend to not be in a big rush. I did about 4+ an hour, looking back at the last time I was there (a fairly empty Friday).

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
If you wanted to maximize vert by ripping down the groomers? Yes, I think you could do 6 per hour midweek. Less if the trees are skiable and you mix in some tree runs.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks @dbostedo and @wgo for the insight. The son and I will prolly get into the trees some and I'll do plenty of bump runs if they are available
We do tend to ski on the fast side- it's really the wife I need to keep up with :)
But just assuming that you will get more runs with the high speed lift at TM. Are the runs at CVR shorter overall. I know it's kind of subjective, but which mountain has the better terrain?

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Timberline has faster lift, better snow, more verticle and better terrain. Canaan is good and has shorter lines.

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
We got more ice in DC yesterday, but what happened weather wise in the valley yesterday? I was planning to head to Canaan on Saturday to avoid the Saturday crowds at Timberline, but worried that the conditions there might be "firmer".

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
We got more ice in DC yesterday, but what happened weather wise in the valley yesterday? I was planning to head to Canaan on Saturday to avoid the Saturday crowds at Timberline, but worried that the conditions there might be "firmer".

A post on DCSki for 2/18 said there was a thin layer of ice on top of the 4 inches of snow that had recently fallen. It skied very well once it was groomed out. Snow in the trees was not iced up.

Buster

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
A post on DCSki for 2/18 said there was a thin layer of ice on top of the 4 inches of snow that had recently fallen. It skied very well once it was groomed out. Snow in the trees was not iced up.

I was at Canaan yesterday and I would not characterize it as "skied well." It took much longer to arrive from NoVA so I got out after 11:00. Indeed it was crust on wet, sloppy snow. I'd break through the crust unevenly and it was mostly bumped up, small bumps. The other weird thing was it was not precipitating, but my jacket and goggles were crusted with ice when I got to the top. I took three runs, decided the hell with it, and started home. I've never done that before, even with poor conditions.

Hopefully better conditions for this weekend.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I was at Canaan yesterday and I would not characterize it as "skied well." It took much longer to arrive from NoVA so I got out after 11:00. Indeed it was crust on wet, sloppy snow. I'd break through the crust unevenly and it was mostly bumped up, small bumps. The other weird thing was it was not precipitating, but my jacket and goggles were crusted with ice when I got to the top. I took three runs, decided the hell with it, and started home. I've never done that before, even with poor conditions.

Hopefully better conditions for this weekend.
I just re-read my post and realized I never noted that I was talking about TL, not CVR. Sorry about that.

Buster

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
That makes sense. Timberline has been doing a great job on the slopes. Have skied there three times this season and been super-impressed with the new management.

Reactions: wgo

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
That makes sense. Timberline has been doing a great job on the slopes. Have skied there three times this season and been super-impressed with the new management.
Ive been up in Canaan for 5 days and it hasn't stopped snowing..I love the fcasts and then see reality. ..ive been xcountry skiing..(my yard).. in light to heavy snow squalls all day....3.5 last night when we were supposed to get a dusting.
.....Canaan valley Snow Rabbit keeps on going and going.... 32 inch snowpack above 4200'....

Last edited:

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Ive been up in Canaan for 5 days and it hasn't stopped snowing..I love the fcasts and then see reality. ..ive been xcountry skiing..(my yard).. in light to heavy snow squalls all day....3.5 last night when we were supposed to get a dusting.
.....Canaan valley Snow Rabbit keeps on going and going.... 32 inch base above 4200'....
Sun has now peeked out at about 3000'.....4770' Mt Porte Crayon ( once to be "Almost Heaven" Ski area ). and the Roaring Plains Plateau are still cloaked in dark blue...,

Last edited:

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have famously bad luck with skiing weather and the upcoming timberline trip looks no different. We get in on Thursday. I’m assuming timberline isn’t likely to get spared this freak rainstorm? D53DB43F-8052-4410-807D-6B76762E4EDE.jpeg

Tom351

Putting on skis
Skier
I think you will be OK- it looks like a pretty quick shot of rain later in the day/evening on wednesday- and it will bring colder temps for snowmaking thurs/fri along with it- late sunday looks not good though
1614084390667.png

Sponsor