• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Agree, but having a large lake would’ve been sweet except for all the environmental destruction.
Ok..why not a smaller lake?...will Mt Storm lake always be a hot dog cooker?....
Nice little snow overnight with a nice dump very possible midweek next...
Snowshoe is bowing out after Easter Sunday and then could get 12-14 inches of snow Wed-,Thur...that's just the way the Cookie crumbles! GJ1dpwzXsAA1pk0.jpeg

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Ok..why not a smaller lake?...will Mt Storm lake always be a hot dog cooker?....
Nice little snow overnight with a nice dump very possible midweek next...
Snowshoe is bowing out after Easter Sunday and then could get 12-14 inches of snow Wed-,Thur...that's just the way the Cookie crumbles! View attachment 231536
There are already several small lakes in the valley: Spruce Island Lake, Sand Run Lake, and Mirror Lake just to name three. Accessing the former two requires the purchase of property in the Old Timberline gated community—a 7 figure proposition for most properties.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Snowshoe is bowing out after Easter Sunday and then could get 12-14 inches of snow Wed-,Thur...that's just the way the Cookie crumbles!
I chose to go to Snowshoe this Friday rather than wait and maybe hit whitegrass if the snow pans out so we are guaranteed a huge event now. You're welcome.

Evan's Dad

Evan's Dad :)
Skier
Off topic, but has anyone else noticed the moss or fungus on a lot of the trees in the area? I originally thought it was just moss but now am thinking it's some sort of blight. Anyone know what this is? Thanks.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Off topic, but has anyone else noticed the moss or fungus on a lot of the trees in the area? I originally thought it was just moss but now am thinking it's some sort of blight. Anyone know what this is? Thanks.
It is a fungus, you can spray a fungicide to help the health of the tree.

Evan's Dad

Skier
It is a fungus, you can spray a fungicide to help the health of the tree.
It seems very widespread throughout the valley. I've been hiking, biking, camping & skiing there since 1999 and it definitely seems to be getting more pervasive. It also seems to be less problematic to evergreens. I wonder if the state or conservation group studying it?

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
It seems very widespread throughout the valley. I've been hiking, biking, camping & skiing there since 1999 and it definitely seems to be getting more pervasive. It also seems to be less problematic to evergreens. I wonder if the state or conservation group studying it?
No idea about studying it. But, I had a Canaan Fir that was hit with it but the deer got a hold of it this winter. That's another story. But, from what I've read and been told the fungus has wiped out a good amount of the Canaan fir that used to be all over the valley.

Evan's Dad

Skier
No idea about studying it. But, I had a Canaan Fir that was hit with it but the deer got a hold of it this winter. That's another story. But, from what I've read and been told the fungus has wiped out a good amount of the Canaan fir that used to be all over the valley.
Wow, so much for my hopeful evergreen observation. What publications have you read about it? Thanks.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
You talking about the stuff covering all the Hawthornes?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Some kind of White fungus covering everything today...
I hear that stuff is nasty. The best way to get rid of it is to push it into piles with long sticks attached to your feet. Sometimes it requires some hiking to get some momentum built up.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
I hear that stuff is nasty. The best way to get rid of it is to push it into piles with long sticks attached to your feet. Sometimes it requires some hiking to get some momentum built up.
Seems to be attracting the elusive WV Wolf....

Wv Wolf 4-5 Sno.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Is it to early to discuss upgrades for next season? I see they have already added to the back parking lot. I heard they are either putting their maintenance shed there or moving the ski team house there and the maintenance shed will replace the Ski Team house.

Last edited:

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Is it to early to discuss upgrades for next season? I see they have already added to the back parking lot. I heard they are either putting their maintenance shed there or moving the ski team house there and the maintenance shed will replace the Ski Team house.
I find it hard to believe that the Ski Team would give up its slopeside house for property further away. I was under the impression that the team owns that house, but I may be wrong.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
I find it hard to believe that the Ski Team would give up its slopeside house for property further away. I was under the impression that the team owns that house, but I may be wrong.
But, they don't own the land. Moving the house, and putting the shed basically on the slope so the snow cats don't have to cross the parking lot. We will see. I would think there would be a way to put the maintenance shed over in that area and add a small trail to and from the shed.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
But, they don't own the land. Moving the house, and putting the shed basically on the slope so the snow cats don't have to cross the parking lot. We will see. I would think there would be a way to put the maintenance shed over in that area and add a small trail to and from the shed.
Didn’t know that. I guess it makes sense then. Upslope storage for the grooomers is pretty vital

Sponsor

Staff online