• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Seafood Thread

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
scallops are what I miss most from when I lived in Portland maine. Even better than the lobster. And wherever else I have them they are just never quite the same. (although the Thai scallop appetizer at Soule Domaine in Crystal Bay is pretty damn good). I liked to prepare them wrapped in prosciutto with a little lemon juice and then grilled… awesome
I will have to try them wrapped in prosciutto,that sounds great. I like them wrapped in bacon if you particularly cook the bacon first, than wrap them and put them under the broiler.

Uncle-A

Skier
Skiing must be over for most of us because we have two threads that are active, this one and the Smoked meat poll thread.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For me, I like mussels especually in a white sauce, but it is the juice that I dip some good crusty bread in that is my favorite part. Arapahoe Cafe used to have a good mussels in white sauce on the menu ... untill they changed it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Our favorite Chinese place, Shanghai Bistro (we want to take @KingGrump Grump there) has a great Beef in Chili Oil w/Glass Noodles that I order almost every time. When I've eaten all of the beef, I take the broth home and cook shrimp or even flounder in the broth, it is soooo good.

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 9.41.07 AM.png
Oh, the greens to the right are Snow Pea shoots that are also delicious.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hmmmmmm ..... I find clams to almost invariably be disappointing in strength of flavor, but must admit I haven't deeply explored that section of the bivalves. I would place mussels on the same level as oysters but for very different reasons, with clams a distant second.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A funny clam story.

In a former life we owned a restaurant in the Poconos. A couple of times a summer I would go out to Long Island and visit a buddy out in Greenport and while there I would bring back bushels of chowder clams that I would get for $10/bushel. In my 1974 VW Superbeetle, I could fit 10 bushels, six in the back, three in the passenger compartment and one where the spare tire should be. I am guessing you are seeing where this is going.

On the way back, late one summer evening, or early in the AM depending on how you look at it. I am cruising along Rt. 80 in western New Jersey and FLAP FLAP FLAP, I get a flat. With no spare and no cell phone, this is 1983, I wait for a trooper. An hour and a few beers go by and a trooper stops. He calls a tow truck to bring a wheel/tire. The truck arrives and he was ready to put the tire on and said it was $50. $50 for a warn out tire on a rusted rim that I questioned if it would get me the additionl 60 miles home. I tried to negotiate and was not getting anywhere until I asked him if he liked clams.

At that point his eyes lit up. He asked are they steamers? Sure, I said. Keeping in mind that he was going to sell me a $15 tire for $50. If anyone ever tried to steal chowder clams, knows they will end up being as tough as that $15 ... er $50 tire. He mounted up the wheel, I put the flat tire where the spare should have been and high tailed it out there.

Every so often, like now, when I think back on this story, I wonder, if he is still chewing on those clams.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Not often when I reenter at thread, but, there is one word that needs recognition when talking seafood: Chesapeake! Spastically the north shore of the Del-Marva peninsula. In the Philly area, Chesapeake crabs are like royalty. A great summer day is a drive on the backroads toward Annapolis and find an outdoor crab house on the bay. All-you-can- eat crabs, some corn, for sure, some very cold beer. I hate to use the word "best", this is close.

And, the most wonderful product of the Chesapeake is soft shell crabs. Crabs molt, shed their skin and for a few days they are outstanding to sauté in butter with a little cornmeal, then finish in a reduction of Plum tomatoes and lime juice. They are a few months away, but, my mouth is watering right now. This is closer to best than Chesapeake crabs.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No love for mussels?!?!?!?
Absolutely! Mussels steamed in white wine and garlic with a couple of slices of chorizo and some sliced up scallions. Good French bread for sopping up the broth. Call it a meal, with wine or beer. When I traveled a lot for work, back in the 90's, I'd find myself in Brussels often. In the autumn, they come in and many of the restaurants would put a sidewalk sign out that "The Mussels are in"; usually all you can eat.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not often when I reenter at thread, but, there is one word that needs recognition when talking seafood: Chesapeake! Spastically the north shore of the Del-Marva peninsula. In the Philly area, Chesapeake crabs are like royalty. A great summer day is a drive on the backroads toward Annapolis and find an outdoor crab house on the bay. All-you-can- eat crabs, some corn, for sure, some very cold beer. I hate to use the word "best", this is close.

And, the most wonderful product of the Chesapeake is soft shell crabs. Crabs molt, shed their skin and for a few days they are outstanding to sauté in butter with a little cornmeal, then finish in a reduction of Plum tomatoes and lime juice. They are a few months away, but, my mouth is watering right now. This is closer to best than Chesapeake crabs.

I love soft shell crabs. Can't wait for them the hit my local seafood market. De-sex them and then just dredge them in a little flour and pan fry in butter; a few minutes on each side. Serve with brown butter and capers sauce. Soft shell crab sandwiches are good for lunch.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Another clam story:

When I was a teenager I was backpacking the wilderness Pacific beach of Olympic National Park. There are two sections of the beach, north and south: each is a bit over 20 miles. I had never done the south portion but I was with a guy who had and he had stories of a place he was told was called "Clam Camp." He was unsure if he could find it but we came around a head and he said that we had arrived. It was a little camp site with a small creek in a small cove with a sea stack a bit further out. We tried digging clams and found that in this place the butter clams were about 50/50 with the rocks on the beach. We filled a big pot from an area about the dimensions of a big fry pan. We stayed an extra day and gorged on the clams. We didn't bring anything to cook them with, so we just boiled them in salt water. It was heavenly.

A few days later as we exited the north portion of the hike (Ozette) we were waiting for our ride and idly read the bulletin board at the NP ranger station. Unlike at the southern entrance there was a big warning sign for red tide. All clam digging was closed. We were concerned and talked to the ranger, letting him know that there was no sign in the south and that we had eaten a large amount of clams. Would we get sick? He told us that since we were there talking to him and still alive, we had nothing to worry about. If they had been poisoned we would be dead on the beach.

Uncle-A

Skier
I enjoy sea scallops, mussels, and clams but my true love from a young age is oysters. Forgive the bad picture of a picture but this is me eating oysters at the Oregon coast.
View attachment 167281
When my daughter was about the same age she loved clams on the half shell. We had to be careful she didn't eat too many raw clams because a small child might not be able to tolerate even small amounts of toxicity. She liked the steamed clams too so she would give in on those.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Asian markets.
When we first moved to Quincy and went into one of the Asian markets here I was surprised to see how fresh much of the seafood is. Like still swimming in a tank fresh. I admit, I haven't been back to the first one we went into, the box of live turtles just inside the door was a bit much for us. But when DH has the bbq going and I want to hot smoke some salmon, Good Fortune has become my go to store. (But no, not still swimming.)

Uncle-A

Skier
When we first moved to Quincy and went into one of the Asian markets here I was surprised to see how fresh much of the seafood is. Like still swimming in a tank fresh. I admit, I haven't been back to the first one we went into, the box of live turtles just inside the door was a bit much for us. But when DH has the bbq going and I want to hot smoke some salmon, Good Fortune has become my go to store. (But no, not still swimming.)
You know that Quincy is the flounder fishing capital of MA. There should be lots of fresh seafood in Quincy.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I will have to try them wrapped in prosciutto,that sounds great. I like them wrapped in bacon if you particularly cook the bacon first, than wrap them and put them under the broiler.

IMHO wrapping scallops in anything is a shame, they have sich a great flavor, it is a shame for it to get overwhelmed by bacon.

that is the beauty of using prosciutto rather than bacon, much more subtle and adds to the flavor. Brush with a A little lemon juice while on the grill

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
scallops are what I miss most from when I lived in Portland maine. Even better than the lobster. And wherever else I have them they are just never quite the same. (although the Thai scallop appetizer at Soule Domaine in Crystal Bay is pretty damn good). I liked to prepare them wrapped in prosciutto with a little lemon juice and then grilled… awesome
ETA.

the Thai curry scallops is our favorite appetizer here. Also some very creative scallop entree. Normally a couple of nightly scallop specials as well as the regular menu. Our favorite restaurant around here

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January