• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
totally get the weight and weight ratio thing as well....and thought I alluded to that point some.
But also mentioned that weight can (once grip is lost) then add to further slipping/sliding due to the leverage. Like I mentioned its perhaps less times we would lose grip but once lost harder to then recover due to the momentum of that weight. But yea, I can get what your saying..

Though JM seems to imply confidently there is no comparison and that Front drive is better. I think a lot of the difference is the weight . A 4thousand + pounder car of yesteryear vs todays 2800.
The former losing grip less often but also much harder to get back on track once grip is lost.
You've got a good point there. The extra mass needs more force to get it back on the right path, once it gets a bit too much off the line.
It's sort of like the benign under-steer Chevy built into their big wagons; it does make loosing the back end a we bit harder, but it also makes reeling it in a lot harder. I would have preferred a little more aggressive steering geometry, but that's just me.

As to the the weight interfering with the front drive - rear drive comparison, there was a front wheel drive big car, the Oldsmobile Toronado. It also suffered from front wheel drive under-steer, and since the drive wheels were in front, application of deliberate trailing throttle over-steer required a lot more skill.
015d1c9ce76518e8d7577e0ef550a634.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I know Josh has a lot of snow driving experience, and I seem to remember he has even done some track racing. But I wonder if he has ever driven an ancient tank of a car. There are many things they do worse but a few they do much better.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
As to the the weight interfering with the front drive - rear drive comparison, there was a front wheel drive big car, the Oldsmobile Toronado. It also suffered from front wheel drive under-steer, and since the drive wheels were in front, application of deliberate trailing throttle over-steer required a lot more skill.

And then the Chrysler K-Car!:roflmao:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I know Josh has a lot of snow driving experience, and I seem to remember he has even done some track racing. But I wonder if he has ever driven an ancient tank of a car. There are many things they do worse but a few they do much better.

When I was a lot younger and living in Minnesota people there would buy "winter beaters" to drive November through March keeping their good car stored in a garage or under cover. Most of those were old chevys and pontiacs with trunks full of sand bags.. Dual purpose for the sand bags.. Gives the rear wheels bite and balances the car... And, can use the sand to put down where needed if the sand trucks haven't made it there yet..

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In the 1960's my dad put cinder blocks in the trunk evert winter. On the other hand, we had a short but steep driveway and for as long as I could remember there were parallel scars in the asphalt about 5 feet long where the tires had dug through the snow and kept on digging.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
In my younger days I loved driving in the snow. I would throttle steer every corner in my Impreza. I still kind of like it but I'm much mellower now that I drive a full sized truck. I remember a few ridiculous drives to go skiing that I probably wouldn't do now including a couple where the drive had more snow than the mountain.

For those people that hate driving in the rain are you using Rain-X? You don't even need to actually apply it, just get the Rain-X washer fluid and you'll be able to see in the rain and road spray. I will, personally, never use anything else. I've even drained out the blue stuff if it was put in when my vehicle was serviced and put the good stuff in. ogwink

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
In my younger days I loved driving in the snow. I would throttle steer every corner in my Impreza. I still kind of like it but I'm much mellower now that I drive a full sized truck. I remember a few ridiculous drives to go skiing that I probably wouldn't do now including a couple where the drive had more snow than the mountain.

For those people that hate driving in the rain are you using Rain-X? You don't even need to actually apply it, just get the Rain-X washer fluid and you'll be able to see in the rain and road spray. I will, personally, never use anything else. I've even drained out the blue stuff if it was put in when my vehicle was serviced and put the good stuff in. ogwink

I just refilled the blue stuff and thought really hard on the rain x. I guess I wish I had pulled trigger on the rain x. My neighbor swears by the Mercedes proprietary solution. He jokes that he is probably billed $50 to top it off. Not sure if anyone has feedback on that stuff.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Front wheel drive donuts in the parking lot are MUCH better than rear-wheel donuts. (Hint: Do them in reverse).

I scared my friend a little when driving my front-wheel-drive car on the snow last season. I hit a patch of ice and the front wheels started sliding. Added a little gas to straighten out and he was "OH SHIT, DON'T GO FASTER!" But the steering was recovered.

In RWD or FWD, the changing of the speed and the changing of the direction should be done independently (not at the same time) on ice or snow. There's that thing called vector addition that makes the tires slide when doing both direction changes and speed changes at the same time.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I remember a few ridiculous drives to go skiing that I probably wouldn't do now including a couple where the drive had more snow than the mountain.

The drive had more snow than the mountain..... Yeah, those days are over for me.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually find it easier to drive in a snowstorm. As I get older, long monotonous hours on the interstate are a problem. Challenging conditions keep me alert.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That's about the same drive time from Long Island to Mt Snow.. did it a couple times. And, only doable if you get up REALLY because traffic will kill you of you leave after 5am . Piece of cake to do that, ski all day, and drive back by 10 pm when I was in my twenties..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought of this thread when I saw this image earlier today.
26961801_891088671053202_821601591060727320_o.jpg

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
The dark side of this equation is my day yesterday. Leaving early, white-knuckle drive over an icy mountain pass to get to the resort to find 6-8 inches of new snow and still falling heavily--only to spend half the morning scraping all that fresh new snow off of a shortened GS course so we could get to the nice firm surface below and run the race. Powder day and race day: all the trouble on the road with none of the reward on the hill. :doh:

Not that I was rooting against the snow; we need every flake we can get.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
So my 9 hour trip home yesterday from Belleayre to NJ has me thinking. How much are you willing to suffer to get a powder day? I mean, I know people who will sleep in the parking lot the night before. Not me. But, I'm not sure a 9 hour, 146 mile drive will discourage me at all the next time it's supposed to snow in the Catskills on my day off.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
suffering can be avoided with planning, experience and a little luck.

Sponsor