• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So my 9 hour trip home yesterday from Belleayre to NJ has me thinking. How much are you willing to suffer to get a powder day? I mean, I know people who will sleep in the parking lot the night before. Not me. But, I'm not sure a 9 hour, 146 mile drive will discourage me at all the next time it's supposed to snow in the Catskills on my day off.

Thats way too much for me. But then again, I live in Colorado.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I will ski all day then do a 500 mile, 8 hour drive home from CO. That is my suffering limit but a 2' Wolf Creek pow day is totally worth it.

Gentry

Booting up
Skier
This is something I've definitely thought about, and I think skiers are unique in that they will suffer quite a bit for what is seemingly a fairly fleeting feeling of happiness. How many of us would complain if they traveled, say, 2 hours, hit the slopes, got 2-5 great runs in, and for some reason, had to call it a day and go home?

9 hours might be hitting that pain/regret threshold, though.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Serendipity provides powder days often enough so that I don't have to go out of my way to plan for them. No suffering necessary. Ain't it great to be a Colorado native?

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
So my 9 hour trip home yesterday from Belleayre to NJ has me thinking. How much are you willing to suffer to get a powder day? I mean, I know people who will sleep in the parking lot the night before. Not me. But, I'm not sure a 9 hour, 146 mile drive will discourage me at all the next time it's supposed to snow in the Catskills on my day off.
146 miles took 9 hours? Wow, you must have been stopped for a lot of the drive to average less than 20 MPH. Maybe you should have stopped for a movie or nap and then driven home.

7 hours is about my max for ski day driving (could be before, after or a combo of both) it doesn't have to be a powder day, I'm going either way. If I had a more flexible schedule, maybe I'd do more for a powder day.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
146 miles took 9 hours? Wow, you must have been stopped for a lot of the drive to average less than 20 MPH. Maybe you should have stopped for a movie or nap and then driven home.

I averaged 35mph for the first 108 miles. Then stopped for a LONG time. I finally got off at an exit that was right where I was stopped and had to backtrack across the state to find open roads.

Put on the news this morning and there were still cars stranded at the spot where I escaped.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
As much as is necessary to get to the powder. :micdrop:

I think I rather skin up for 1-2 hours to get powder than drive that or twice that to see if I get early enough to get a few good runs.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
When I was younger I had an epic day at Hunter and had a 5 - 6 hour return trip and that pushed my limits. This year (at age 71) I had an over 3 hour return trip from Platty did not feel to bad that night but the next day was a little tuff. Now I am willing to wait one day after the storm for the skiing.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
I've become pretty spoiled the past 5 seasons, so I won't suffer much. The lack of powder competition at Wolf Creek wrecks you.

I remember sometime in March my first season with Wolf Creek as my home mountain, I woke up, checked the snow report, found *only* 11" came down, wet back to sleep, showed up in the parking lot at noon, skied untracked snow to the bell.

Purgatory gets less snow and more skiers, but it is still pretty easy to find lightly trafficked goods. Not in the same universe as Wolf Creek, but way better than the Front Range. Worse than Monarch, though.

The wildcard is pow skiing under the lights at Hesperus. Only operates 4:00-9:00 on weekdays, so it is awesome to duck out of work and go ski. 50 people is a BUSY night. I guess this is as close as I come to suffering, I took a fall so nasty there a few years back we thought my leg was broken...

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
It's going to take the next three days to recover from today! Is that suffering enough?

I'd do more....

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
If there was some way to know for sure you were going to hit it, maybe I'd suffer quite a bit. At this point the whole powder day vibe can be pretty lame. The chase and race to get after it. Not that into it. The best powder days are the unexpected ones and they come often enough. These predicted Northeasters are always so crowded and often a bust anyway. At this point, I'd rather have first chair with empty perfectly groomed slopes and a blue sky than a powder day and all that goes with it.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
If there was some way to know for sure you were going to hit it, maybe I'd suffer quite a bit. At this point the whole powder day vibe can be pretty lame. The chase and race to get after it. Not that into it. The best powder days are the unexpected ones and they come often enough. These predicted Northeasters are always so crowded and often a bust anyway. At this point, I'd rather have first chair with empty perfectly groomed slopes and a blue sky than a powder day and all that goes with it.

I must admit, this mornings snow depth caught me completely off guard. It wasn't until I heard the radio transmissions of our first patrollers at the summit that I took the 100 steps back to my car and pulled out the "big boards" (read long, though but 88 wide). Even so, Not even 130 underfoot floated anyone on top of today's soft goodness. Speed was king!

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I’m not into suffering. I try the “luck, experience, planning” combo.

Yesterday, luck was not with me. I had plan to ski the 400’ “bump” 20 minuets from my house after work (work from home). But didn’t count on them closing early due to threat of road closures.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
My vehicles have always had "directional" snow tires, with that direction being north. I would drive in any kind of nasty to weather to get to the mountains but if it was bad when it was time to come home I would usually stay another day or two just to "be safe". ;)

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Typically I have to get up 30 minutes earlier than usual on a pow day. Can be a bit crowded before the lifts open too - that is if Vail can actually get them open on time at all which they often can’t.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Merged two threads similar topic.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Merged two threads similar topic.

Thanks for reviving my thread T!

I should add, recent we had a 6" day and then 18 hours later another 6" of light snow fell. This is pretty uncommon in MN. My boys and I got up at 7:00am on Sunday and drove out to the local hill (roads were fine) to find they had groomed 90% of every slope they have. We were pissed.

Then we noticed some thin trees between two runs we've never skied (you can almost never ski the trees locally.) We hit those trees for about 2 hours of some of the funest skiing I've ever done in my life. needless to say, my 12 year old is now a powder and tree skiing lover and is super excited to do it again when we go out west next year.

Sponsor