• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wouldn't consider Blossom or Bomber to be ultra premium. Blossoms are nice skis, but they're not ultra premium. Bogner skis, yes. Wagner yes. Also, I'd never buy a pair. I think skis like the Volkl V-Werks get pretty darn close to what you are talking about though.
At $2,500 you don't consider Bomber to be Ultra Premium? I added Blossom because they're quality is impeccable and intrigued with what will happen with the brand when they are re reintroduced for 16-17, I am hearing they they will be in this category. I categorize the V-Werks as halo skis from a mainstream manufacturer, not their own brand.

James

Out There
Instructor
How is Bode on Bomber? Was his contract up with Head or did he blow it off? Are they going for the race market?

I talked with someone who was a "rep" for Bomber last season on the slopes. Tbh, I thought the graphics were poor. They're no Zai.
I just didn't see the point. Esp since they're not exactly trying to get people to demo it. Hopefully for them they won't be like hart in approach and drive the co into a black hole.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How is Bode on Bomber? Was his contract up with Head or did he blow it off? Are they going for the race market?

I talked with someone who was a "rep" for Bomber last season on the slopes. Tbh, I thought the graphics were poor. They're no Zai.
I just didn't see the point. Esp since they're not exactly trying to get people to demo it. Hopefully for them they won't be like hart in approach and drive the co into a black hole.
I am not sure what happened with Bode and Head, he might have had an opt out clause but he is also still in their boots. I talked to Marc Girardelli in Vail about the skis. I thought they came out of the Blossom Factory but he said they are from a factory down the road. I did notice that the one ski has identical dimensions as the Vist Free 3 and the Hart Pulse at 124/77/110, coincidence? I reached out to Bomber to see if they were going to be at SIA but they said they would not. I hope to get on their skis at some point.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well let's see.
The one I saw was just a conundrum. For a $2,500 ski it had nothing visually to distinguish itself to those people who would want to purchase it. Looked like a ski made in a garage. I don't mean quality, just looks.

Kylie Richardson called Lindsey Vonn " a bit of a glamazon" yesterday. Glamazons with cash would not like a ski that looks like it was made by frat boys.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Glamazon! I like that! :roflmao:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I purchased a pair of Wagners in 2011. The ordering process impressed me as Pete Wagner discussed the whole thing with me. I'm not a great skier, but I've skied a long time and been involved in the ski business, sorta, and know what I want in a ski. Wagner did the job for me. The ski was supposed to be one I could use on powder days, or in challenging ungroomed such as we can have here at Crested Butte -- and still get me back to the base comfortably on the hard surface stuff. Even managed platinum runs on NASTAR courses. Were they worth the cost? Can't speak for anyone else, but they were for me. Currently in the locker waiting some real snow fall.

James

Out There
Instructor
^^^^ Yes, I was thinking of Wagner when talking to the Bomber guy. I'd just go there if near that money.

If Bode is in it then he probably sees a great name. Go into gear and clothes. Probably a lot more money there. Bomber vs Fly Low vs Kjus

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
He appeared to be in Dobermanns when he foreran for TV this weekend.

Wow, his picture on the Bomber site has him on Heads. :popcorn:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
At $2,500 you don't consider Bomber to be Ultra Premium? I added Blossom because they're quality is impeccable and intrigued with what will happen with the brand when they are re reintroduced for 16-17, I am hearing they they will be in this category. I categorize the V-Werks as halo skis from a mainstream manufacturer, not their own brand.

There's the price the company says their skis cost and then there's the price people will actually pay for them. Does just saying that it's ultra-whatever make it so? Why would a Bomber cost more than a Blossom? Because Bode skied on them in a video?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
20151203__BN20151204_B3_BNSP04CUPSKI~p1.jpg

Bode knows what's up.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There's the price the company says their skis cost and then there's the price people will actually pay for them. Does just saying that it's ultra-whatever make it so? Why would a Bomber cost more than a Blossom? Because Bode skied on them in a video?
What made the Vist more? I still would like to know if they are Blossoms. :popcorn:

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
These are at Okemo.... Swiss- 4K price tag & the salesperson seemed confused about what they were....
image.jpeg

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
What made the Vist more? I still would like to know if they are Blossoms. :popcorn:

Vist•Blossom•Sporten•Cohen•Bomber = same when I was importing, the difference was that Blossom 'sublet' the factory to the various companies' builders & craftsmen, then they used factory to produce the skis under their private labels.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Vist•Blossom•Sporten•Cohen•Bomber = same when I was importing, the difference was that Blossom 'sublet' the factory to the various companies' builders & craftsmen, then they used factory to produce the skis under their private labels.
A few more too, Spoilt was one IIRC.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not that any "Ultra premium" skis will ever be on my shopping list, but unless the high $$$ translate into better performance I don't see the point except for the "I'm rich and I can flaunt it" factor. Skis are consumables and what will the fancy topsheets look like after a few trips through the liftline and the trees? What were the fancy wood topped skies of a few years age that came in the their own wooden case-Sterling? What happened to them? Booteek stuff is great until it's not the flavor of the month anymore and buyers of such products are notoriously fickle.

Of course my viewpoint is from someone of Dutch heritage-naturally frugal/cheap...................

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Funnily enough, i made a few runs today on the Blossom Overlimit WC GS in 188/27. (thanks Brian Finch!) . Now the snow was kind of soft/rained on today and not greatest conditions for testing but first impressions were very good!. The skis hooked up better than any other 27m ski I have skied (and that is a lot!) . Felt totally comfortable pushing them hard with big edge angles even on softer snow. Performed much more like a 188/30 W FIS GS ( which is a good thing!) then the older FIS 27m. need tons pend some more time on them, this week to better evaluate but very impressed so far.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Have seen some Sporten skis in a shop here in Tokyo; prices not out of line with the Atomic-B-C-D-E-F-G...-Volkl ranges.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
We have a pair of Zai's in the ski rack right now and I will say the construction and build is beautiful, base finish on par with many world cup skis and performance to match. The Zai Odagon is a burly 90mm wide all mountain ski in the 165cm length with dimensions of 123/91/103 with a slight bit of early rise. Finish is a beautiful wood inlay surrounded by aluminum. These are the entry level ski for Zai, retailing at $3,700 flat.

These are actually not even a ski from this decade, in doing some research it appears they are a pre 2010 model. Considering that, the dimensions are very progressive for that era. @Tricia has spend minimal time on the ski and with her being more of a finesse skier, the ski did take her for a ride. We would like to get these on the feet of a smaller skier that's style is more on the power side of the scale.
Bring them Copper and I'll ride them.

Sponsor

Staff online