• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
Anyone have any intel (or heck, good old speculation) on whether they’ll have the whole mountain lit for night skiing next season?

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone have any intel (or heck, good old speculation) on whether they’ll have the whole mountain lit for night skiing next season?

If they pour enough Naplam on the trails and throw a match at the right time then the whole place can be LIT!

Umm...

Wait...

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
I'm not sure why TLM is spending $ on lighting as I can't image there'd be a lot of people coming to the Valley just to go night skiing like they do at PN, Liberty, WT, 7S, etc. that are closer to large metropolitan areas.

I did hear that they don't plan on opening the mountain up to mountain biking. ☹️

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm not sure why TLM is spending $ on lighting as I can't image there'd be a lot of people coming to the Valley just to go night skiing like they do at PN, Liberty, WT, 7S, etc. that are closer to large metropolitan areas.

I can imagine it just fine, especially on days when Timberline has better snow coverage or fewer crowds or both than those places.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
nah, it's dark in the valley, packup at 5, hit the bar, get some pizza, build a fire, get ready for the next day....

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier

I did hear that they don't plan on opening the mountain up to mountain biking. ☹️
The basic problem with night skiing from the top is lack of beginner access. They can’t light Upper Salamander (unless the permitting rules have changed) because of Forrest Service concerns about light pollution in the nearby Dolly Sods Wilderness Area. @JohnL is correct in saying that we will only get 2-3 trails from the top at night but that’s enough IMHO.

Anyway, I am a fan of night skiing because it opens up more ski time on weekends for pass holders. I can drive up late Friday and still get some runs in, and on Saturday, ski at night to avoid the day crowds. The race team will also have an additional window for practicing on busy weekends. For teleworkers, it’s also a boon—work days, ski nights.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
I walked the lower half of the mountain this past weekend. A few observations. Several new Polecats fixed guns going in on lower Almost Heaven at the top of the quad down, a few others on lower Thunderstruck, and what looked like 8 new SHI sticks going in above the first tunnel as you ski down Twister.
Also, there must be 3,000 feet of piping some laying on the ground mid-mountain, a lot more in the parking lot. These pipes look like 10" diameter, so they are adding up hill capacity. Plus upgrading the power going up the mountain to new electric boxes.
Was told the word is a total of 30 new snow guns going in all over the mountain.

Discussion item: I was walking over and down easy does it across mid-mountain and noticed some power work where The Drop runs out. Unless you are skiing The Drop this seems to be a very under utilized part of the slope. This would be an ideal area for a new slope to be cut from upper White lighting (old Silver Streak) through the trees and dump the skier onto Easy Does it. Wouldn't take a lot (power and water), to turn that into another nice run.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
I walked the lower half of the mountain this past weekend. A few observations. Several new Polecats fixed guns going in on lower Almost Heaven at the top of the quad down, a few others on lower Thunderstruck, and what looked like 8 new SHI sticks going in above the first tunnel as you ski down Twister.
Also, there must be 3,000 feet of piping some laying on the ground mid-mountain, a lot more in the parking lot. These pipes look like 10" diameter, so they are adding up hill capacity. Plus upgrading the power going up the mountain to new electric boxes.
Was told the word is a total of 30 new snow guns going in all over the mountain.

Discussion item: I was walking over and down easy does it across mid-mountain and noticed some power work where The Drop runs out. Unless you are skiing The Drop this seems to be a very under utilized part of the slope. This would be an ideal area for a new slope to be cut from upper White lighting (old Silver Streak) through the trees and dump the skier onto Easy Does it. Wouldn't take a lot (power and water), to turn that into another nice run.
It seems like they are bolstering the snowmaking in all the right places. The key is for them to be able to open all existing terrain quickly and get it back online quickly after thaws. Cold spells are getting shorter and thaws, more frequent. I doubt they have any short term plans to cut new trails. They seem focused on improving existing terrain.

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
The basic problem with night skiing from the top is lack of beginner access. They can’t light Upper Salamander (unless the permitting rules have changed) because of Forrest Service concerns about light pollution in the nearby Dolly Sods Wilderness Area. @JohnL is correct in saying that we will only get 2-3 trails from the top at night but that’s enough IMHO.

Anyway, I am a fan of night skiing because it opens up more ski time on weekends for pass holders. I can drive up late Friday and still get some runs in, and on Saturday, ski at night to avoid the day crowds. The race team will also have an additional window for practicing on busy weekends. For teleworkers, it’s also a boon—work days, ski nights.
Yeah, and I find night skiing really allows me to relax throughout the day without worrying that I’m burning ski time. Sleep in, take a long lunch, etc. it’s a way better day overall and you can still get 10+ hours of skiing in.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier

But why would folks like to ski there for that runout?....there needs to be a creative run down the steep side...not a diamond but a twisty blue...Then try to weed another run off of Twister ....and or another western territory run if they have the land...there is nothing else.... Thats why I dreamed of Mt Porte Crayon at one time....

SCWVA

Skier

There's already at least one named trail between the WT and The Drop. TLM just needs to spend some time doing trail maintenance.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
There's already at least one named trail between the WT and The Drop. TLM just needs to spend some time doing trail maintenance.
There is no named trail between those two runs. There may be a name for the trail that isn't on the official trail map, but thats a different story.

As for adding trails on the other side of the mountain, they have over 200 acres over there to develop if they chose too. They could double the size of the skiable terrain if they want. The issue is what we find on Twister all the time, the sun makes it hard to keep snow.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

SCWVA

Skier
Well the map does show two other trails that aren’t on the map now, Cherry Bowl Glades and Silver Streak

The previous Owner timbered all of the trees between SS & WL, for a little extra $ and to make it wider for GS races. Cherry Bowl glades are still there, but they need some maintenance.

Hopefully, they do some maintenance on the Pearly Glades and Glade Runner this summer, otherwise they should be taken off the map as well.

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
I don't think the Perfects are big fans of glade skiing, they have all been removed from the trail map. Or, it a 100% open thing. with glades you can rarely say you are 100% open.;)

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
No inside scoop here but I think the owners are okay with glade skiing but its not very high on the priority list for now. Focus is still on snow making.

Sponsor

Staff online