• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
We are currently up here. The conditions are very nice. We had about 4” of wet snow yesterday and they did a beautiful job with grooming. Today is snow showers that are laying down a nice little topping to corduroy.
For you regulars- what’s the other double diamond off the top- silver streak or something like that. Don’t see it on the map. Is that some glades?

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Silver streak used to be a separate run, right up against the trees on skier's right of White Lightning. There was a line of trees that separated the 2 runs. The former owners removed the trees separating the runs a while ago - maybe 2005 or 2006? The former owners still kept it on the trail map, though. The only part that is still separated is at the very top, just to skier's left of the Drop.

Edit: just checked some old posts on DCSki and the trees were removed prior to the 2006-2007 season.

Skimunky

Booting up
Skier
There are no group lessons at TM this year; you rent an instructor - flat rate - and bring how many in your group. I think you need to register online.

Not sure about CVR, but I think most areas have a similar policy to TM’s this winter. For safety reasons.

Thanks for posting this. I was initially having a hard time wrapping my head around what I was seeing on both TM and CVR's websites regarding lessons. Your post made it clear.

Skimunky

Booting up
Skier
I was at Canaan yesterday and I would not characterize it as "skied well." It took much longer to arrive from NoVA so I got out after 11:00. Indeed it was crust on wet, sloppy snow. I'd break through the crust unevenly and it was mostly bumped up, small bumps. The other weird thing was it was not precipitating, but my jacket and goggles were crusted with ice when I got to the top. I took three runs, decided the hell with it, and started home. I've never done that before, even with poor conditions.

Hopefully better conditions for this weekend.

The icing event was a bit intense on Thursday, 2/18. It definitely created a breakable crust on the snow that was hard to ski. That said, TM decided to groom mid-day as a result and it helped a lot. I definitely didn't expect to see them get the groomers out there mid-day, but I think it was a good call considering the conditions.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think you will be OK- it looks like a pretty quick shot of rain later in the day/evening on wednesday- and it will bring colder temps for snowmaking thurs/fri along with it- late sunday looks not good though
I agree that Thurs thru Sat looks ok. Keeping an eye on the Sunday rain - I wonder how it will impact the base in the trees. Hopefully it gets followed up by some snow on the back end.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This showed up on my Facebook feed today... Looking down White Lightning 4 years ago on Feb. 24th... it was 70 degrees. Let's hope for no more winter's like this for TM...

1614219332389.png

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a PSA for season passes for next year and an example of what good customer service should be. Currently season passes are on sale for next year with the added bonus of having your current day's lift ticket subtracted from the cost of the season pass. I went in to buy the Silver (Monday to Friday) Pass for $299 and they subtracted the $85 lift ticket price that I had just purchased, for a total of $214. Here's the part about the good customer service - I didn't pay $85 for my day's lift ticket as I already had credits applied from previous trips. When I pointed that out to the customer service rep she said, "Don't worry about it. I'll just apply the whole amount." How awesome is that? They did the same thing for my wife's season pass. It turns out that since she qualifies for the "senior" discount, she only had to pay $149 for her season pass. What qualifies you as a "senior"? Over 60. I wonder if that's a West Virginia thing because I've never seen the age limit that low before.

The Colonel

Putting on skis
Skier
Seems
Silver streak used to be a separate run, right up against the trees on skier's right of White Lightning. There was a line of trees that separated the 2 runs. The former owners removed the trees separating the runs a while ago - maybe 2005 or 2006? The former owners still kept it on the trail map, though. The only part that is still separated is at the very top, just to skier's left of the Drop.

Edit: just checked some old posts on DCSki and the trees were removed prior to the 2006-2007 season.
Seems like yesterday!!

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
So a long time resident of the mountain said that they are trying to add a couple more trails if they can get the permits. Hope that works out.
It would be nice if they could clear out some of the underbrush on some of the woods. But what I did ski in the trees was fun.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Skied TM today...felt good skiing at 60 and figured id venture into the Drop...got a 3rd of the way down ...ice and huge moguls and I slammed into the ice hard..thought I cracked my helmet in half...tried to walk back up the hill to get my gear and there was no traction so down the mountain I went..could not dig in..clawed and scraped to slow down to stop b4 I slammed into the trees.....stopped finally and back up I went to get my skis and poles...no one skied down this slope all this time..coulda bled out there or layed unconscious for a long time.......back down the mountain with my skis and poles in hand and started to get texts and missed calls so I found a grip somewhere and texted back...with pics...im friggin in survival mode!!!!......slip slide and skis crossed over and down goes Frazier!...sliding out of control down the mountain again!...arms scraped up...and the ski gear yard sale upstream was wearing on me......finally saw a dude doing the slide thing down the slope and he was cool enough to slide my skis down to me...I waved goodbye to a long time ski pole friend because I was not going to chase it and put my skis back on and made it down the last 3rd of the trail....never again...im now just a groomed cruiser..not a drop or off the wall bruiser!....
.....THE END....

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
This showed up on my Facebook feed today... Looking down White Lightning 4 years ago on Feb. 24th... it was 70 degrees. Let's hope for no more winter's like this for TM...

View attachment 125642
Didn’t look like that today.
We took white lightening as our last run of an awesome 3 day trip to TM. What a fun little gem of a resort. Can’t wait to get back...

So this is the view while enjoying some beers on credit afterwards...

23C372FD-69F8-4D9E-A08D-F1AC71694D08.jpeg

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So a long time resident of the mountain said that they are trying to add a couple more trails if they can get the permits. Hope that works out.
It would be nice if they could clear out some of the underbrush on some of the woods. But what I did ski in the trees was fun.

Hope it doesn’t. People already ski where the trails would go.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied TM today...felt good skiing at 60 and figured id venture into the Drop...got a 3rd of the way down ...ice and huge moguls and I slammed into the ice hard..thought I cracked my helmet in half...tried to walk back up the hill to get my gear and there was no traction so down the mountain I went..could not dig in..clawed and scraped to slow down to stop b4 I slammed into the trees.....stopped finally and back up I went to get my skis and poles...no one skied down this slope all this time..coulda bled out there or layed unconscious for a long time.......back down the mountain with my skis and poles in hand and started to get texts and missed calls so I found a grip somewhere and texted back...with pics...im friggin in survival mode!!!!......slip slide and skis crossed over and down goes Frazier!...sliding out of control down the mountain again!...arms scraped up...and the ski gear yard sale upstream was wearing on me......finally saw a dude doing the slide thing down the slope and he was cool enough to slide my skis down to me...I waved goodbye to a long time ski pole friend because I was not going to chase it and put my skis back on and made it down the last 3rd of the trail....never again...im now just a groomed cruiser..not a drop or off the wall bruiser!....
.....THE END....

I wudda helped ya. After taking a picture or two...

You were on the wrong gear; try it again this weekend in a canoe.

At the least, will be some good trout fishing at the bottom of OTW - I heard they’re biting on Cheat Mtn. Salamanders.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
U da Man JL...u mudda!...instead of saying cheese for the pics id by pleading PLEASE!...it did add some cheer to the après beer!

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
U da Man JL...u mudda!...instead of saying cheese for the pics id by pleading PLEASE!...it did add some cheer to the après beer!
If I knew you were stranded I would have helped you out-
after pictures of course...

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
My son and I skied the Drop Wednesday afternoon, but didn’t see you. It was nice and soft with some good mashed potato bumps on the right side. The big rollers were extremely nice. 2F07F898-90B0-4EDA-BFDF-72767689B21C.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online