• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

To BOA or not to BOA (we have real world insight)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Well, I do see that, but I'm thinking more along the lines of small frictional losses as the cable passes over each plastic guide.

AFAICT, that only comes into play if the net takeup at the BOA dial doesn't distribute equally over its own length. i.e. complete sticktion - which you would feel at the BOA dial.

I am assuming Change(L)/Lfree does distribute equally, much like with both BOA bike shoes and single pull shoe laces.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm just disappointed all these brands have done it half-assed. I want a BOA for the cuff too!! :D

I mentioned that to the Fischer rep. He said not now but you never know in the future. Not sure if that's a "you never know" or a "you never know wink wink".

As far as BOA on the cuff... I think getting the cable open enough to get in and out of the shell is the main issue.
I suspect it's possible, though with the negative reactions here there might be a short term struggle to acceptance. There's a fair amount of travel on my Apex liners when the discs are released.
IMG20230204125146.jpg

The loads however would be much greater than on the clog and there might be a question as to whether the internals would need beefing up

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
You know what, I think it’s too good to be true might apply here with BOA being the new panacea for fit issues. I believe the BOA engineering is valid and will deliver a better fitting boot for a lot of skiers. But many skiers will still have fit issues a cable system won’t address. As mentioned if addressing these issues first you might be able to max out fit.
I remember when the Fischer Vacumn process was introduced. My buddy had two pair fitted in Vail and I was with him when they were fit.
I thought at the time, wow, Fischer nailed it. You couldn’t achieve a better fit conventionally.
Guess I was wrong. One pair he had to ditch because they developed rockered soles! He was always “fiddling” with his buckles going up the lift.
Anyway time confirmed Vacumn was way less than the perfect method to deliver the perfect fit .
I’m inclined to believe achieving a great fit involves having access to a boot fitting pro that has seen and experienced it all and has the tools and expertise to apply this to your fit problems.
Time will tell with BOA.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
The thing that is only alluded to, but not really fully explored when this is discussed are the potential performance advantages where you could [in theory] make the shell about 1cm thick where you need performance/support/strength but really thin where you need a wrap. It's much harder creating that sort of blend with conventional buckles. This is essentially a 5 buckle clog [or if you prefer 5 points of closure] so there are some really interesting potential advantages.

Personally I still think that Zay has more potential because of the way in which the closure is attached to the cuff so that when the boot is flexed the cables 'shorten', wrapping the shell more tightly around the foot. The boa will I assume behave more conventionally when flexed..

Waiting on my Supra 130s to land tho and excited to try out :)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Personally I still think that Zay has more potential because of the way in which the closure is attached to the cuff so that when the boot is flexed the cables 'shorten', wrapping the shell more tightly around the foot. The boa will I assume behave more conventionally when flexed..

You have pair of Zays, yes? Can you post pics of this feature?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The thing that is only alluded to, but not really fully explored when this is discussed are the potential performance advantages where you could [in theory] make the shell about 1cm thick where you need performance/support/strength but really thin where you need a wrap. It's much harder creating that sort of blend with conventional buckles. This is essentially a 5 buckle clog [or if you prefer 5 points of closure] so there are some really interesting potential advantages.

Waiting on my Supra 130s to land tho and excited to try out :)
Five points of closure but one setting compared to two with buckles.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
You have pair of Zays, yes? Can you post pics of this feature?
Mine are prototype 140s. They're early ones so they ski really well but are pretty ferocious to get in and out of. The production ones are much easier

You probably see it clearest here [about 20 seconds in onwards].

Because the closure and the cables are attached to the cuff as the boot is flexed the cables are pulled 'up' and this tightens the 'wrap' around the clog

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Five points of closure but one setting compared to two with buckles.
My read is that this is like shoe laces; so that when there is 'resistance' the cable pull moves to the next point where there is less resistance and so on

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My read is that this is like shoe laces; so that when there is 'resistance' the cable pull moves to the next point where there is less resistance and so on
Hmmm…that not only seems counter to the design but isn’t the way cycling and golf iterations I’ve had work, which in those cases presents a weakness. I routinely have to pull on cable with my fingers to get adequate uniformity of tightness. The dials aren’t able to accomplish that and it’s partly why I’ve retired the BOA golf shoes.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm…that not only seems counter to the design but isn’t the way cycling and golf iterations I’ve had work, which in those cases presents a weakness. I routinely have to pull on cable with my fingers to get adequate uniformity of tightness. The dials aren’t able to accomplish that and it’s partly why I’ve retired the BOA golf shoes.

And this is why the more premium cycling shoes come with two dials

1675536485551.jpeg

However, the friction here between the cable and…what do you call these…eyelets? is much greater than in the ski boots where as far as I can see they are like pulleys so far less friction and presumably-more uniform tension.
And also-there are only 3 of them pulleys so won’t be that much of a problem. Besides even if the tension is uneven, the least tension will be exactly where you need the least tension-at the toes.
It’ll be fine.
I still see no particular advantage but will surely try it when available, even only so I can then say; Man it really sucks. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Last edited:

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Guys, we had them in the '60's. Molitor/Hechung used the system through the start of the plastic boots. I last used them in 1971 in a high backed Heschung. Never missed those cables.

I have BOA wading boots for fishing now, but don't think they are much needed for a hard shell boot.

Molitor.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online