• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
9 December Birthdays
Joan Baez and Jimmy Page, two greats at the opposite ends of the music spectrum.
I think you are a month off for Jimmy, 9 January 1944.
Also not sure how opposite they are, Zep recorded Babe I’m Gonna Leave You after being influenced by the Joan Baez version.

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting new book on Led Zepplin. Heard the author on radio. Page was a very in demand sessions guitarist, working 6 days/week. There was a dearth of people for the new music. He made more money than both his parents combined. He turned down theYardbirds the first time due to that and he was friends with Clapton. I think the second time he still said no and recommended Jeff Beck.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
So, where do Louis Armstrong and J.S. Bach sit in the spectrum?
If opposite ends are on a circle there 360 degrees that could be north-south or east-west of any of the 360 points on the circle.:)

Uncle-A

Skier
I think you are a month off for Jimmy, 9 January 1944.
Also not sure how opposite they are, Zep recorded Babe I’m Gonna Leave You after being influenced by the Joan Baez version.
I stand corrected, I guess I had a senior moment. Thanks for the heads up. As far as the opposite ends of the spectrum, I can't think of anything JB has done that hasn't been acoustic. Yes I know that JP has done some acoustic but it is not what you normally think of when you hear the name JP or LZ.

Uncle-A

Skier
Interesting, i was jsut watching this video about Canting that had Livin Luvin Maid (She's just a woman) in the background.
I watched the video on my phone and it was a good video but my phone was barely picking up the music in the background so I couldn't tell what was playing. Thanks for sharing the cuff alignment and canting information video.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Have often mussed on what a Mozart, Bach, or Beethoven would have been writing and playing had they had today's interments. Is Andrew Lloyd Weber a good example, or Pink Floyd?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Sorry For the derailment, I’m just a bit of a Jimmy Page triviologist.
I’ll just leave this here before this thread gets back on track…

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
Have often mussed on what a Mozart, Bach, or Beethoven would have been writing and playing had they had today's interments. Is Andrew Lloyd Weber a good example, or Pink Floyd?
If those two are the only choice I would have to pick Weber.

Sponsor

Staff online