• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tolling to be implemented in BCC and LCC in the near future, according to UDOT's Executive Director

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I did get the joke :)

FWIW I've had 205 XC skis strapped to the Kona, sticking out front like a narwhal horn. I think I remember @fatbob doing something similar with alpine skis at some point.

The only issue is having the binding clear the knees - and remembering not to stab people :)
Not me I think

But this is the approved Swiss ski carry method utilising handy polypipe. Credit TGR

1684858081172.png

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just committed and purchased Alta season passes plus Base Ikon add-ons for Marcia and me for next season.
:geek::geek::geek: Now you’ve done it! This almost guarantees there’ll be a drought in Utah next year. Maybe for 5 years.

At least that will fix the problem of traffic in LCC and BCC.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just cover the entire road with an avy cover. Sure, the view won't be as good but at least the road would be dry.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got an email from GMD including this nugget: "The other change is implementing a $25 overnight parking fee for our hotel guests. Rental cars are often unequipped for traveling on Highway 210 during hazardous winter conditions, and often sit in our parking area accumulating snow until the guest departs. This creates issues when trying to find parking for our staff. We urge you to use shuttle transportation to and from the airport."

Doesn't sound like they are going to validate a road toll! haha -- but it is a little annoying for those of us who don't fly but drive from home, with full-on snow tires and AWD or 4WD. Honestly, flying in and renting a car is kinda dumb, unless you need to go somewhere else too, but that's one of the last places on earth you need a vehicle. They do just sit there collecting snow, and then you have hours of digging out, if you've been lucky. Still, a toll to get into the canyon, a toll to park, I think they will discourage some cars....

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just got an email from GMD including this nugget: "The other change is implementing a $25 overnight parking fee for our hotel guests. Rental cars are often unequipped for traveling on Highway 210 during hazardous winter conditions, and often sit in our parking area accumulating snow until the guest departs. This creates issues when trying to find parking for our staff. We urge you to use shuttle transportation to and from the airport."

Doesn't sound like they are going to validate a road toll! haha -- but it is a little annoying for those of us who don't fly but drive from home, with full-on snow tires and AWD or 4WD. Honestly, flying in and renting a car is kinda dumb, unless you need to go somewhere else too, but that's one of the last places on earth you need a vehicle. They do just sit there collecting snow, and then you have hours of digging out, if you've been lucky. Still, a toll to get into the canyon, a toll to park, I think they will discourage some cars....
I was just about to post that part of the email from GMD as well.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Tax + tax on top of existing charge what the market will bear price hikes. Yeah that sucks for drive up guests who arrive off peak. Are Alta forgetting that they are a core skier's mountain i.e. that they attract visitors who already have home resorts in neighbouring states?

Plus the moaning about guests leaving their cars in one place seems weird. It doesn't seem to me anything to do with staff parking. Surely that's the point of ski in /out accomodation. Your guests spend all their spending with you and don't drive elsewhere for dinner etc.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Do they expect, or have they expected people who are there for a week, to move their car everyday? Of course the car remains in the lot. That's the point of staying on the hill. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Do they expect, or have they expected people who are there for a week to move their car everyday? Of course the car remains in the lot. That's the point of staying on the hill. :rolleyes:

Yes. Of course. And now that driving up is likely to cost extra, they'd be leaving money on the table if they didn't up their charges.

#pureunadulteratedmoneygrab

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
That's is so wrong in their assumptions! Never mind the road warriors from nearby states who have full on snow tires. What about fly-in guests who rented AWD SUVs?

If they need extra parking, and decided to charge for it, just come out to say it! I bet most guests would happily pay the extra. But that cheap shot at rental cars not equip to handle snow as "additional justification" is just...CHEAP!

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
No way it's happening next year.
They are targeting implementation during the 2024/2025 ski season. So yes, it is for sure not happening next year.

After that, who knows. But they would definitely need to improve bus service first. There is no way the current public transportation system can handle the extra demand a big toll would create.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Utah becoming less and less attractive…
Yup. I commented early in this thread and have read the 28 or so pages. Glad we got to Utah this year, at 71 I'm not sure I'd do it again-despite the great snow the hassles (time and financial) are making it less and less attractive. One of the huge plusses of Utah was the ability to stay in the city and have relatively easy access to seven (now six) resorts. That's a thing that's disappearing quickly.

Would I take a bus? Not as they currently operate. I'm not going to boot up in a parking lot, stand on a bus in my ski boots holding my skis for who knows how long, ski, then stand around in my boots again waiting for the bus to take me back to the parking lot, then debooting in my car. If I knew I could get a seat, carry my bag on the bus, change in the lodge and not pay a fortune to store my bag, I'd consider it. At Alta, Solitude, Brighton and Deer Valley I took the bags out to the car (Deer Valley would have been $34.00 for two bags!)
Yep, I'm old and cheap and I like my comforts............

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Are Alta forgetting that they are a core skier's mountain i.e. that they attract visitors who already have home resorts in neighbouring states?
The GMD and other lodges in the canyon clearly have no trouble filling their rooms. I'm sure the GMD's bread and butter customer is a fly-in. They can probably let everyone else fall by the wayside and be ... not only fine but better off from a "captive audience" point of view.

James

Out There
Instructor
It is called Gold Miner’s Daughter.

Also, didn’t they mine silver in that canyon?

Last edited:

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
If I knew I could get a seat, carry my bag on the bus, change in the lodge and not pay a fortune to store my bag, I'd consider it.
What I've done, I just slung my boots over my shoulder and walk on in my old street shoes.

Once booted up in the lodge, I leave my old shoes out of people's way. The worst it could happen is someone stole my old stinking shoes and I had to ride the bus back down bare foot. :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online