• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Binding manufacturers almost never tell you what the plastic is and as a nerd, I’m always curious. I wish they'd just use a glass filled Nylon like Zytel which is very strong , great in low temps and has a low friction coefficient. Likely some accountant has done the math and figured that a 2-5 % warranty return rate is less than the slight cost increase for better plastic over the production run.

Last edited:

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Binding manufacturers almost never tell you what the plastic is and as a nerd, I’m always curious. I wish they'd just use a glass filled Nylon like Zytel which is very strong , great in low temps and has a low friction coefficient. Likely some accountant has done the math and figured that a 2-5 % warranty return rate is less than the slight cost increase for better plastic over the production run.
Could also be unavailability of desired materials due to now chronic supply chain issues.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Damn it looks like SLR's also have this weak plastic material. Not good as I was keen on the SLR's.

Season cancelled.

View attachment 197964
as do other Tyrolia bindings, (IDK if the same plastic or how weak)

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 8.25.22 PM.png

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
as do other Tyrolia bindings, (IDK if the same plastic or how weak)
Won't be unprecedented if they issue a recall. The link below says 450,000 units recalled over just 5 examples of injury.

In this thread alone, we already have 2 (not injury I know, but concerning material weakness nonetheless).

Can't imagine the tolerance between the boot lip and toe piece still being tight with a couple of forward releases/plastic shearing incidents within a 10 year indemnification period.

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Won't be unprecedented if they issue a recall. The link below says 450,000 units recalled over just 5 examples of injury.

In this thread alone, we already have 2 (not injury I know, but concerning material weakness nonetheless).

Can't imagine the tolerance between the boot lip and toe piece still being tight with a couple of forward releases/plastic shearing incidents within a 10 year indemnification period.

Oh great!
Any guesses on how long it'll take Tyrolia to fix the problem?
Crystal ball shows Tyrolia issuing a recall in the fall and taking all Protector PR and SLR off the market leaving us with only the Protector Attack 13 MN for the '23/'24 season!
Unless the recall ends up applying to specific production runs where the plastic did not anneal properly

I may as well order a Pivot 12 now on end of season clearance and forget about Protector PR, oh snap, I have to bring my skis to the shop for the Dual WTR Pivot 12 heel piece to be removed from the ski to check the dang date code, F', wait a minute, REI order was placed 12/05/2016, if that makes them the '16/'17 model year I'm good ... unless the recalled '17/'18 model year were available for sale in Dec 2016, I've no idea!!! :doh:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh great!
Any guesses on how long it'll take Tyrolia to fix the problem?
Crystal ball shows Tyrolia issuing a recall in the fall and taking all Protector PR and SLR off the market leaving us with only the Protector Attack 13 MN for the '23/'24 season!
There are other options…like any other toe piece from any manufacturer. Hmm…I wonder if I can machine a PR interface to a Pivot toe…

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There are other options…like any other toe piece from any manufacturer. Hmm…I wonder if I can machine a PR interface to a Pivot toe…
:geek:Whoa, careful now, don't allow my neurotic thinking to rub off on you:nono:
We're getting way ahead of ourselves:dig: Still a lot of unknowns. At the very least we can can surmise Tyrolia is aware of the problem in that the two here are getting warranty replacements.
Where things go from here is anyones guess:huh: ...shame we don't have oneothernerdykid with Head/Tyrolia to give us the inside scoop

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:geek:Whoa, careful now, don't allow my neurotic thinking to rub off on you:nono:
We're getting way ahead of ourselves:dig: Still a lot of unknowns. At the very least we can can surmise Tyrolia is aware of the problem in that the two here are getting warranty replacements.
Just one. I have no problem riding my bindings missing 0.5 mm of shaved plastic.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just one. I have no problem riding my bindings missing 0.5 mm of shaved plastic.
OK then let's get the party started:
Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 3.54.05 PM.png

^^^ heard from Nicki Minaj's cousin's friend in Trinidad that this is happening when Protector PR's are used with boots equipped with Dynafit metal toe inserts for tech toe bindings:
images.jpeg

image-3.jpg

ogwink

greentrees

Booting up
Skier
I went into the shop where I just bought new skis (86 underfoot) and the tech who will be putting on my Protector bindings once they come in told me that regular bindings are what I need because my new ski will act totally differently(terribly) on anything that has a track or rail and is so bulky and heavy (vs the marker squire on it when i demod). -This is skiing in CO- steeps,trees,moguls, etc. This is a well known/respected shop in a mountain town.

Has anyone had this- where their ski changed character for the worse to where they couldn't control the ski as well in steeps/trees? In which case I will put the Salomon strive or a Look Binding on it.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Has anyone had this- where their ski changed character for the worse to where they couldn't control the ski as well in steeps/trees? In which case I will put the Salomon strive or a Look Binding on it.
at 86 mm underfoot, the Protector will be fine, no need to over think it.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
I have PR13 bindings (two piece rail) on a new pair of Peak88 skis, have skied them a couple days at Breck. And I've been a Look Pivot fanboy for many years.

So far, the PR13/Peak88 combo feels fine to me. Mounted for me by Racers Edge in Breck.

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the heads up. I just skied for the first time with my Protector PR 13's and I have GW with Tech Insert boots, so I'll have to keep eye out. Thanks!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not sure how DIN setting calibrates to a 'regular' binding given the heel release.
Forward release will get checked in a traditional manner and the lateraly heel should match the chart setting. FWIW, I have run the lateral heel as low as 4 and not prereleased.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for the heads up. I just skied for the first time with my Protector PR 13's and I have GW with Tech Insert boots, so I'll have to keep eye out. Thanks!
:cool:
- just know I was only kidding about tech toe inserts causing the hanging chads, the post was a joke poking fun at naysayers quick to bastardize the binding. Not that it couldn't happen, I've yet to hear of it and I don't think the two hanging chad reports here are on boots with tech toe inserts

ActionStar

Booting up
Skier
:cool:
- just know I was only kidding about tech toe inserts causing the hanging chads, the post was a joke poking fun at naysayers quick to bastardize the binding. Not that it couldn't happen, I've yet to hear of it and I don't think the two hanging chad reports here are on boots with tech toe inserts
Assumed, but wasn't entirely sure. Good to know. I really don't have much tech knowledge with gear...just getting back into the sport. Couldn't tell you a thing about a tech binding either. I hear Protector safest binding for knees, I see heel moving side-to-side, I click buy. :D

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi @Philpug,

Do you know if the Protector SLR can slide into all standard PowerRail (twin, multiflex, ect…) ?

Thanks
I don't have one at hand but I imagine the rail that the SLR fit on before.

LeoHunt

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
About Protector SLR 11 GW in Tyrolia 23/24 catalog:

Thoughts and questions rising :

- 80 mm brakes looks like good news considering latest concerns about narrow waist skis !?
- Can SLR bindings be used with regular PR base system ?
- Stand height/Ramp influence and relation with ski type, snow condition, skier abilities, ect… If anyone can point me to a good article or thread about this subject.

Cheers
No... I just bought the PR 13 GW with 85mm brake...

Sponsor

Staff online