• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Attack toe on the M-Frees.

It's a LITTLE easier to click into vs the PR toe (which I have on various frontside skis now).

I don't ski the M-Frees in bottomless (if it's more than boottop deep the Protests are coming out). So not an issue for me. If the M-frees are your real powder skis.....hmm....not sure which I would do there.

I ski the M-Frees in day 2 chop, bumps, that sort of thing mostly. And boy do they air well.

So the M-Frees are my powder skis; 2 ski quiver at present.

That having been said I’m mostly skiing them on anything from a couple inches of fresh to boot deep powder. I have taken them into knee deep plus powder stashes, but that is extremely rare. And yeah, they’re fun in skied out chop!!

Thanks for the information. I think I’ll go for the Attack toe.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To get protectors back on in deep snow, I use a tip I got a long time ago when I was skiing Marker Griffons (which had a similar heel piece) and ate poo in a very deep powder pile at the bottom of promised land at AM- had to have an instructor save me.

"Don't push down your heel. Lift up your toe." Works 90% of the time.

WaineWong

Booting up
Skier
Great thread. I have been using Kneebindings on some of my skis for a few years (and race plates on others) so I am very familair with all the Kneebinding pros and cons. I think the new Protectors will probably be the death knell for Knee as other big manufacturers will surely follow suit once a big name like Tyrolia gets behind the ligament protection message (nobody buys Knees other than for the lateral release - it sure ain’t for their looks!). For years I have felt that the industry was slow to latch on to a major injury issue and that Knee was a voice in the wilderness, lacking the marketing $$ to get the message out there. I think this will now change and that is a good thing. These bindings will probably be great for most skiers (except racers, big mountain heroes and maybe freestylers) and I can’t wait to get my hands on a pair to try. Great review guys.
I had Knee Bindings and then moved the Tyrolia Protector this year. The problem with the Knee is that they seem to have too many complicated setting protocols and more complex installation issues that most ski techs are not familiar with. The Protector, on the other hand, goes straight on to their stock rail and the DIN adjustments are very easy and similar to other binding set ups....I skied the Protectors for two weeks on my new Elan Primetime 33s and they were fantastic. Luckily, I didn't fall in two weeks of skiing so didn't have the chance to experience a lateral release (thankfully).

dx111

Booting up
Skier
Can Power Rail plates be ordered separately? Unable to find anything to that effect on the Tyrolia website.

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
Can Power Rail plates be ordered separately? Unable to find anything to that effect on the Tyrolia website.
It's rare, apparently some shops will order them for you but many won't.

I have found them on eBay. Last spring they were about $20, this spring closer to $40, from the same seller. Be sure you're getting the right ones though, SLR rails are common on eBay but won't work on non-SLR bindings.

Hot Dog Hans

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Is this acceptable forward pressure? I have read the manual pdf but the phrase "adjust slightly" does not work as I have fixed slots in the rails for the binding.

Am i correct in thinking i can't adjust the forward pressure in any way? The front and rear binding parts are correctly mounted for my boot size. Or do i impact forward pressure by adjusting front and rear DIN?

Reason im masking is the above pictured ski released on me twice during a week of skiing. Both times very strange situations that should'nt warrant a release imo.

1. Going extremely slow (like 5mph) on a green/blue slope. Re entering the slope i go over a ~8" bump separating ungroomed and groomed terrain and the ski just release on me.

2.Going moderately fast on a red (between blue and black) groomed slope that was freshly groomed but covered in 2-3" fresh snow and the same ski released in the turn transition when i was pointed down the fall line.

This time i hurt my other knee which was still attached to the ski.

Screenshot_20240318_172933_OneDrive.jpg

1000015658.jpg
1000015660.jpg

Last edited:

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting you say that. I double ejected out of mine on Friday. Was going very slow and turned around to look at a buddy and next thing I know I was face first in the snow. I was in a couple of inches of fresh snow and didn’t feel like I hit anything significant… maybe some sticky snow. Wasn’t going fast enough to get hurt and got a good laugh out of it but it gave me pause. Need to check my forward pressure. I had adjusted both the toes and heels forward to try a different mount point but had checked them several times.

Hot Dog Hans

Skier
Interesting you say that. I double ejected out of mine on Friday. Was going very slow and turned around to look at a buddy and next thing I know I was face first in the snow. I was in a couple of inches of fresh snow and didn’t feel like I hit anything significant… maybe some sticky snow. Wasn’t going fast enough to get hurt and got a good laugh out of it but it gave me pause. Need to check my forward pressure. I had adjusted both the toes and heels forward to try a different mount point but had checked them several times.
After talking to the shop who did my mount i was told to try and move the toe and heel pieces to see if it gets better.

The original mount position was correct as my experimenting now just made the forward pressure worse.

However when i put the toe and heel pieces back in the way they originally were i now had similar forward pressure on both skis. Whereas one ski barely OK before.

Very strange stuff... Going skiing again in 2.5 weeks, hopefully i wont eject and fuck up my knees any more than i did.

20240318_180145.jpg
20240318_180139.jpg

smv

Booting up
Skier
Not an expert but somehow I feel your forward pressure settings are on the ‘loose’ side here.. shouldn’t these be at least 2 notches to the right?

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After talking to the shop who did my mount i was told to try and move the toe and heel pieces to see if it gets better.

The original mount position was correct as my experimenting now just made the forward pressure worse.

However when i put the toe and heel pieces back in the way they originally were i now had similar forward pressure on both skis. Whereas one ski barely OK before.

Very strange stuff... Going skiing again in 2.5 weeks, hopefully i wont eject and fuck up my knees any more than i did.

View attachment 230160 View attachment 230161
Took my bindings off my flight back, I’ll put them back on at some point this week and tinker with the positions to see if I get any differences in the forward pressure,

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Hot Dog Hans @mikes781 Did you have your bindings ASTM tested to confirm they are releasing within range?
I just had them installed by a shop right before my trip. The owner did it himself and he’s someone that I trust. I recall him saying that he tested them. This was my 3rd or 4th day on them and the first time I had an issue. It was the first time I had adjusted the position though.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The owner did it himself and he’s someone that I trust. I recall him saying that he tested them.
I don't know of a shop that will mount a binding and NOT test it. So, if he tested it and let it out of the store, it was testing within correct range.
This was my 3rd or 4th day on them and the first time I had an issue. It was the first time I had adjusted the position though.
As good as modern bindings are, they only know the forces that are put into them.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just checked my forward pressure and it was right in the middle of the range with no changes if I adjusted them forward or back. It’s entirely possible that I made a mistake and was a notch off when I adjusted my bindings forward. Did it on the bus ride over to the mountain. Won’t know for sure since I took the toe and heel pieces off for the flight back.

Hot Dog Hans

Skier
Not an expert but somehow I feel your forward pressure settings are on the ‘loose’ side here.. shouldn’t these be at least 2 notches to the right?
Even in the last 2 pictures i uploaded where it is a little bit better?

1000015666.jpg
1000015665.jpg

@Hot Dog Hans @mikes781 Did you have your bindings ASTM tested to confirm they are releasing within range?
Don't know to be fair but it was mounted by a reputable shop so i hope so.

However he did not have the correct jig so he had to do a "manual" mount procedure.

smv

Booting up
Skier
I was refering to these 2 pics above. Ibelieve the mark sign shouldbe in the middle, 2 notches to the right on both…

Hot Dog Hans

Skier
I was refering to these 2 pics above. Ibelieve the mark sign shouldbe in the middle, 2 notches to the right on both…
Thanks for the input. However it seems as long as the arrow ksuwithin the notched area everything is ok.

Sent the pics to Head / Tyrolia and got the following reply

Kirian (HEAD Service team) commented:

Hello,

I have asked our bindings department. They say everything is alright with this binding.

Kind Regards,

Kirian

MingDao

Booting up
Skier
Not sure, whether this has been discussed/answered over this long thread, but what would be the propert way to set the side bolt adjustment on the Protector's? Is it the same DIN as heel/toe? or different? Thanks.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Even in the last 2 pictures i uploaded where it is a little bit better?

View attachment 230280 View attachment 230281

Don't know to be fair but it was mounted by a reputable shop so i hope so.

However he did not have the correct jig so he had to do a "manual" mount procedure.

Thanks for the input. However it seems as long as the arrow ksuwithin the notched area everything is ok.

Sent the pics to Head / Tyrolia and got the following reply
Just checked my Protector SLR forward pressure and discovered it is set a notch ahead of the 5 lines, (see pix), they were mounted at a shop with the correct jig and I assume were tested at the time.
Should I be concerned that they are not correctly set up? So far I have not experienced any trouble with them
IMG_7156.jpeg

IMG_7155.jpeg