• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@neonorchid that’s what my forward pressure looked like when the position/spacing of my toe and heel pieces were off (too far apart) by a click. Once I corrected that it was dead in the middle. Might be worth a quick check. Someone with more knowledge will hopefully weigh in whether this is in range or not.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not sure, whether this has been discussed/answered over this long thread, but what would be the propert way to set the side bolt adjustment on the Protector's? Is it the same DIN as heel/toe? or different? Thanks.
The lateral setting should match your regular toe / heel setting. With that said, I have been running the lateral heel setting at the lowest setting on my bindings, a 4. I have yet to release out of them including a few runs down The Chutes at Mt. Rose.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@neonorchid that’s what my forward pressure looked like when the position/spacing of my toe and heel pieces were off (too far apart) by a click. Once I corrected that it was dead in the middle. Might be worth a quick check. Someone with more knowledge will hopefully weigh in whether this is in range or not.
interesting, did reducing the toe to heel distance by a lick make it more difficult to click in?
I'm a little reluctant to mess with it but will say I have re-adjusted Look Pivot's forward pressure when I got them back from being mounted at the shop. However setting up the Pivot forward pressure is something I know how to do. I don't know anything about these Toyota bindings and their rail system I would never have went with had there been an option for flat mount.

again:
IMG_7157.jpeg

(Left and Right)
IMG_7156.jpeg

Protector SLR

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m not sure what position myshop set the toe and heel pieces at. I pulled them off the next day to make them easier to pack for my Colorado trip. I put them back on the other day and I could not push my boots into the binding by hand at the correct spacing. Had to get into my boots to be able to step into them. Might be worth a call to the shop that installed them. I need to stop by my shop this weekend to inquire about extra plates and am going to ask about the proper positions for them.

Jomo

Booting up
Skier
I purchased Protector 13s for three sets of skis. I ski 50 days a year, mostly in Jackson Hole and ski fairly aggressive terrain. I've enjoyed skiing the binding and I’ve had no problems with standard pre-release issue. However, In the last two weeks I’ve had the front binding slip forward on the mounting track two seperate times. This happened on two different sets of skis so it was not a one off defect. The toe piece moved forward on the track while I was skiing, and my boot came right out of the binding. When I went to put the ski back on I could not since the toe was too far forward, I had to adjust it to get down the mountain. This is really concerning me. One of these falls was at 40 mph and banged me up a bit. I want to see if anyone has had a similar experience? I skied the attack 13 demos for years which are on the same track and never had an issue. I’m thinking about using epoxy to lock the toe piece to the front rail, but once I do that I’ll never be able to get them off.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I purchased Protector 13s for three sets of skis. I ski 50 days a year, mostly in Jackson Hole and ski fairly aggressive terrain. I've enjoyed skiing the binding and I’ve had no problems with standard pre-release issue. However, In the last two weeks I’ve had the front binding slip forward on the mounting track two seperate times. This happened on two different sets of skis so it was not a one off defect. The toe piece moved forward on the track while I was skiing, and my boot came right out of the binding. When I went to put the ski back on I could not since the toe was too far forward, I had to adjust it to get down the mountain. This is really concerning me. One of these falls was at 40 mph and banged me up a bit. I want to see if anyone has had a similar experience? I skied the attack 13 demos for years which are on the same track and never had an issue. I’m thinking about using epoxy to lock the toe piece to the front rail, but once I do that I’ll never be able to get them off.
Pictures of the track and the toe binding teeth? Any evidence of anything broken?

az29okg

Putting on skis
Skier
interesting, did reducing the toe to heel distance by a lick make it more difficult to click in?
I'm a little reluctant to mess with it but will say I have re-adjusted Look Pivot's forward pressure when I got them back from being mounted at the shop. However setting up the Pivot forward pressure is something I know how to do. I don't know anything about these Toyota bindings and their rail system I would never have went with had there been an option for flat mount.

again:
View attachment 230588
(Left and Right)
View attachment 230589
Protector SLR
Can you provide a picture showing where along the rails the toe and heel pieces are set (looking downward at the top of the ski and binding rails/tracks). Also, a picture of the markings on the boot that shows the size and BSL number. This way, we can see if the bindings are in the correct position for the boot.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My boots are 295 BSL toe piece seems about right, heel looks off:

View attachment 222668

View attachment 222669
^ ^ ^
Can you provide a picture showing where along the rails the toe and heel pieces are set (looking downward at the top of the ski and binding rails/tracks). Also, a picture of the markings on the boot that shows the size and BSL number. This way, we can see if the bindings are in the correct position for the boot.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The toe is correct, the heel needs to be moved back.....that is if the rails are mounted correctly,
I get that the #'s don't match, @Philpug said mounting Protector SLR rails is tricky and I took that to mean the toe/heel designated numbers don't align with one another.
Are you saying you think the shop mounted my Protector SLR toe and heel too close together?
@mikes781 said his Forward Pressure looked like mine when his toe and heel were too far apart and correct when he moved the toe and heel unit closer together by a click, the oposite of my setup:

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It seems the rails are too close together. I've mounted 3 sets of PR and 1 set of SLR rails using @tomahawkins templates. When the front and rear bindings are positioned to the correct BSL the mounting line of the boot is right over the mounting line of the ski and the forward pressure arrow is in the correct range. That being said, if your forward pressure is correct and the mounting line of the boot is over the line of the ski at your settings you should be good to go.

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

again:
View attachment 230588
(Left and Right)
View attachment 230589
Protector SLR
This photo shows the forward pressure is too light. Try moving the heel forward another notch and see where it reads as well as where the boot and ski mount lines are in relation to each other .

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It seems the rails are too close together. I've mounted 3 sets of PR and 1 set of SLR rails using @tomahawkins templates. When the front and rear bindings are positioned to the correct BSL the mounting line of the boot is right over the mounting line of the ski and the forward pressure arrow is in the correct range. That being said, if your forward pressure is correct and the mounting line of the boot is over the line of the ski at your settings you should be good to go.
With boot clicked in the center line mark on boot matches up with center line on ski and now the Forward Pressure arrow moves from being ahead of the 5 lines to behind them:

IMG_7162.jpeg

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This photo shows the forward pressure is too light. Try moving the heel forward another notch and see where it reads as well as where the boot and ski mount lines are in relation to each other .
are you saying move the heel closer to the toe or away from the toe? Again I'm reluctant to mess with it, strange binding, hate the rails, I'm missing the Look Pivot's!

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
are you saying move the heel closer to the toe or away from the toe? Again I'm reluctant to mess with it, strange binding, hate the rails, I'm missing the Look Pivot's!
Move the heel one click back and check again. The way it is right now, it is over pressured.

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, as Tom said move the heel back one click. On my wife's SLRs one click difference in the heel position maintains the forward pressure within the proper range.
IMG_5394.jpg IMG_5395.jpg
The first photo is at the lighter end of the range (heel back a click). the second is more towards the higher forward pressure range (heel forward one click from the first photo) but both within the proper range.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
IMG_7162.jpeg

^ with Boot clicked into binding, Forward Pressure arrow is behind the 5 lines

and:

IMG_7156.jpeg

^ with Boot not clicked in binding the Forward Pressure arrow is ahead of the 5 lines:

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When the boot is not clicked in there is no forward pressure. Lift the silver tab and slide the heel back one click, insert the boot and see what the forward pressure marker says. Corrected!

Last edited:

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I should have said move the heel back one click! Sorry, I've got three conversations going on at once!

MacO512

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So is there anyplace to buy extra rails? I searched online and can't seem to find any.

I'm considering buying these bindings but would want multiple rails for different skis.

Sponsor