• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tyrolia Protector Series of Bindings

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So is there anyplace to buy extra rails? I searched online and can't seem to find any.

I'm considering buying these bindings but would want multiple rails for different skis.
I haven’t been able to locate them online and have a call into my local shop to see if they can order them for me.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
I haven’t been able to locate them online and have a call into my local shop to see if they can order them for me.

Try calling Powder7 (Golden CO) directly at 720-674-5443 and ask to speak to their buyer.

A little over a year ago Powder7 offered to have their buyer do a special order for me of these PR rails. (Note: I had recently purchased Protector bindings from them.) I ended up not using Powder7 for the special order because I found them for sale on ebay at a good price and with immediate shipping.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
I purchased Protector 13s for three sets of skis. I ski 50 days a year, mostly in Jackson Hole and ski fairly aggressive terrain. I've enjoyed skiing the binding and I’ve had no problems with standard pre-release issue. However, In the last two weeks I’ve had the front binding slip forward on the mounting track two seperate times. This happened on two different sets of skis so it was not a one off defect. The toe piece moved forward on the track while I was skiing, and my boot came right out of the binding. When I went to put the ski back on I could not since the toe was too far forward, I had to adjust it to get down the mountain. This is really concerning me. One of these falls was at 40 mph and banged me up a bit. I want to see if anyone has had a similar experience? I skied the attack 13 demos for years which are on the same track and never had an issue. I’m thinking about using epoxy to lock the toe piece to the front rail, but once I do that I’ll never be able to get them off.
I would contact Tyrolia.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 231028
^ with Boot clicked into binding, Forward Pressure arrow is behind the 5 lines

and:

View attachment 231027
^ with Boot not clicked in binding the Forward Pressure arrow is ahead of the 5 lines:
When the boot is not clicked in there is no forward pressure. Lift the silver tab and slide the heel back one click, insert the boot and see what the forward pressure marker says. Corrected!
OK I moved the heel piece back away from the toe piece one click from 279-286 to 287-294
IMG_7173.jpeg

the result with boot clicked in:
IMG_7169.jpeg

...if it is now at the correct forward pressure, I have to wonder why the shop which I assume bench tested the setup had placed it a click forward at 279-286

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
So far I would say that this thread raises the followimg points:

1-The whole rail compatability thing is confusing and ridiculous--we want bindings that can mount on flat skis! I know this is in the works...the sooner the better, in my view. I want to get the whole family on Protectors, and have so far held off because of the lack of choice of skis that come with rails, and lack of security that finding, buying, and installing the rails.

2-The bindings seem to work just like regular bindings, which is great. They've been out long enough that if there were obvious problems, if feels like we would know. This is great news. Big sigh of releif and cries of joy from knee ligaments everywhere, with an imporant caveat (see point 4 below).

3-The bindings might be sensitive to forward pressure and/or boot interface in some cases, as posts above suggest. No clear answers, but some questions surfacing. Seems like getting the forward pressure and fit right might be important, but all bindings have their peculiarities, so fair enough.

4-As to their special ability to mitigate knee ligament injuries, it's too early to tell, but I, and apparently many others, beleive having the deck stacked in your favor is a good idea. The theory makes sense, the execution seems functional, and now that the technology exists, we can choose.

THANK YOU TYROLIA!!!

MacO512

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

1-The whole rail compatability thing is confusing and ridiculous--we want bindings that can mount on flat skis! I know this is in the works...the sooner the better, in my view. I want to get the whole family on Protectors, and have so far held off because of the lack of choice of skis that come with rails, and lack of security that finding, buying, and installing the rails.

2-The bindings seem to work just like regular bindings, which is great. They've been out long enough that if there were obvious problems, if feels like we would know. This is great news. Big sigh of releif and cries of joy from knee ligaments everywhere, with an imporant caveat (see point 4 below).

3-The bindings might be sensitive to forward pressure and/or boot interface in some cases, as posts above suggest. No clear answers, but some questions surfacing. Seems like getting the forward pressure and fit right might be important, but all bindings have their peculiarities, so fair enough.

4-As to their special ability to mitigate knee ligament injuries, it's too early to tell, but I, and apparently many others, beleive having the deck stacked in your favor is a good idea. The theory makes sense, the execution seems functional, and now that the technology exists, we can choose.

THANK YOU TYROLIA!!!

Good post.

I have some major doubts that we will ever have plentiful options available to install extra rails in your point #1. I think binding manufactures want everyone to continue to have one binding for one ski. Why would they want to push you to have one binding for a dozen skis instead of buying a dozen of their bindings?

They'll probably make those plates available by authorized retailers but might closely monitor who's buying them and how many and why. Or maybe we see them try to add a "feature" to the rail and charge $100+ for each one. If there were 20 binding companies maybe there would be more competition, but with only 4 I don't think we're going to see that on a large scale.

Who knows - would love to be wrong as its a slick system.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

The SLRs are a snafu: almost non existent jig availability, confusing size configurations (XS, XM, XL).

However, the Twin PR Bases have been great -- when you can find them. I got box of 5 pairs from REI last year, but this season Tyrolia ran out of stock. (Which reminds me, I should check with REI again...) Cheap (~ $10 / pair), easy to mount, easy to switch bindings, solid connection, robust. And I got a few skis this season already set up with PRs and just by coincidence. Don't think I'll be going back to flat bindings; I like the PRs that much.

This could be the case. I had a weird pop-out today -- it may have even been a lateral release -- when I hit some ice blocks under the snow. I felt like it shouldn't have released so I checked the forward pressure, and sure enough, it was just under spec. These were new skis and the setup was a little different than my normal rig. I moved the toes back one click and everything was fine the rest of the day and held up to some pretty heavy skiing.

THANK YOU TYROLIA!!!

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
I just checked my forward pressure and it was right in the middle of the range with no changes if I adjusted them forward or back. It’s entirely possible that I made a mistake and was a notch off when I adjusted my bindings forward. Did it on the bus ride over to the mountain. Won’t know for sure since I took the toe and heel pieces off for the flight back.

Thanks for the input. However it seems as long as the arrow ksuwithin the notched area everything is ok.

Sent the pics to Head / Tyrolia and got the following reply
This is interesting, I had a similar experience a couple of weeks back. I was trying out my daughter‘s skis which I had mounted with PR13s on twin rails and I had therefore adjusted the bindings for my larger BSL. I got a release at the turn in phase at about 30mph and couldn“t figure out what had happened. Clicked back in as i thought maybe i had some snow under the toe but happened again a few turns later (which hurt a bit!). Took a look at the forward pressure on the side of the piste and it was way low. I figured I must have messed up the binding adjustment so mowed the toe piece back on both skis to ensure correct pressure. It was OK after that. Now I am wondering whether I had set it correctly but maybe there is something about the rail/binding that we need to be super careful of - could it somehow slip fwd a notch even though it seems to have seated well? Going to keep an eye on this thread….

az29okg

Putting on skis
Skier
OK I moved the heel piece back away from the toe piece one click from 279-286 to 287-294
View attachment 231252

the result with boot clicked in:
View attachment 231251

...if it is now at the correct forward pressure, I have to wonder why the shop which I assume bench tested the setup had placed it
a click forward at 279-286
That forward pressure looks good. You said your boots have a BSL of 295. So, try moving the heel piece back one more notch to "295 - 302" position and then click the boot in and check the forward pressure. It should also be within the acceptable range, though it would likely be to the very front part of the acceptable range.

az29okg

Putting on skis
Skier

1-The whole rail compatability thing is confusing and ridiculous--we want bindings that can mount on flat skis! I know this is in the works...the sooner the better, in my view. I want to get the whole family on Protectors, and have so far held off because of the lack of choice of skis that come with rails,
The current Protector PR and SLR can be mounted on flat skis. I have done so on Elan Ripstick 96 and 106, and Line Pandora 94 and 104 skis.

Extra rails (Twin PR Base (4 pairs) black, Part No. 119276.) can be ordered by your local ski shop.

Also, i have found that some Elan skis with system bindings have rails that are compatible with the Protector SLR bindings.
I have a pair of Head Pure Joy skis with SLR rails that I added the SLR Protector bindings.
I also have a pair of Elan Insomnia 16 Ti skis with ELW 11 bindings (also a system binding mounted on rails).

I read that Tyrolia makes bindings for both Elan and Head. So, I compared the tracks/rails between the SLR rails and the ELW 11 rails. Both are the same width, same groove depth (running along the side), and the same thickness of the upper lip. The only difference is that the width of the groove is a little wider on the ELW 11 rail. However, I figure this wouldn't be an issue because the toe and heal binding pieces just grip the upper lip. I compared the bottom of the ELW 11 binding and the Head Joy binding, both look the same (same size teeth to catch/lock onto the rail. I was able to slide the Head Joy binding onto the ELW 11 rail and get it to lock in place.

This leads me to believe that the Tyrolia SLR Protector binding could slide and lock onto the ELW rail and be an easy upgrade to the Elan Insomnia 16 Ti skis.
So, the SLR bindings fit onto the ELW rails of the Elan Insomnia 16 Ti skis (daughter skied with them this season). As well, they work with the Elan 2024 Elan Primetime N°5 W PS Ski which had the ELW11.0 DB397119 Binding.

MacO512

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, i have found that some Elan skis with system bindings have rails that are compatible with the Protector SLR bindings.

So, the SLR bindings fit onto the ELW rails of the Elan Insomnia 16 Ti skis (daughter skied with them this season). As well, they work with the Elan 2024 Elan Primetime N°5 W PS Ski which had the ELW11.0 DB397119 Binding.

What brand binding are on the Elan skis?

I'd be very wary of using a different rail. It might appear to fit and to click in fine but could fail during an impact/crash/etc if something isn't fully matched up. Maybe the internal stop only partially engages or such.

az29okg

Putting on skis
Skier
I Have a set of PR13 on my daughter's skis. I see that she has a much harder time clicking into those bindings than I do with my PR13. I weigh 220 lbs with a BSL OF 319, Whereas she weighs 135 lbs with a BSL of 275. Both our PR13 are set with a DIN of 6. I am not sure she would be able to click into her skis in deep powder (a situation that has not presented itsel).

If I switch her binding to PR11, would she be able to click in easier? Anybody have this experience?

I have also used my PR13 about 5x more than she has used hers. Is it possible that ski bindings get easier to click in with age/usage? I guess I could swap bingings to check this.
Just a follow-up on my own questions.

I compared the effort required between mine and my daughter's PR13 binding, and they felt the same. So, mine didn’t get any easier with usage.

I talked to one online shop that had PR11 on sale for $260 CDN. They said they tried both the PR13 and PR11, and the PR11 were easier to click in. So, I have ordered them. Hopefully, they weren't feeding me some bull to get a sale.

MacO512

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The current Protector PR and SLR can be mounted on flat skis. I have done so on Elan Ripstick 96 and 106, and Line Pandora 94 and 104 skis.

Extra rails (Twin PR Base (4 pairs) black, Part No. 119276.) can be ordered by your local ski shop.

Appreciate you providing the part#! It appears a site in Canada is selling these for $60/pair Canadian dollars (super overpriced) and a US site has two white ones for $20/pair.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That forward pressure looks good. You said your boots have a BSL of 295. So, try moving the heel piece back one more notch to "295 - 302" position and then click the boot in and check the forward pressure. It should also be within the acceptable range, though it would likely be to the very front part of the acceptable range.
@ 295-302 / boot in:
IMG_7175.jpeg

= not enough forward pressure therefore I am going to move it a click forward to put it back @ 287-294 position as in post #904

az29okg

Putting on skis
Skier
What brand binding are on the Elan skis?

I'd be very wary of using a different rail. It might appear to fit and to click in fine but could fail during an impact/crash/etc if something isn't fully matched up. Maybe the internal stop only partially engages or such.
You got me interested, so I took a closer look and also took some measurements. Most dimensions were taken with a Canadian Tire digital caliper. I used a digital tire depth gauge (purchased from amazon) to measure depth from the top of the rail. The depth measurements are likely the most prone to errors, mainly because I'm not sure of the flatness of the surface from which the depth measurements are taken. Also, these instruments are just cheap stuff and are not calibrated. So, take the measurements with another grain of salt.

The two rails are from:
1. Elan ELW 11 binding
2. Tyrolia Protector SLR 11 binding

The dimensions are shown in the two attached images.

SLR vs ELW Rails - dimensions.png

SLR vs ELW Rails - Teeth dimensions.png

The biggest difference that I found was in the height of the teeth, with the teeth on the ELW 11 bindings being almost 0.3 mm taller, bringing it closer to the top of the rail. So, if the Tyrolia SLR binding's teeth engages with the teeth on the Elan ELW bindings, there would be more of an overlap, as compared to the SLR rail teeth. So, the ELW 11 rail teeth being 0.3 mm taller shouldn't be an issue. Also, 0.3 mm is very small and it may be due to my measurement method (I did take multiple measurements at different teeth and they were consistent) or instruments.

Here is a picture showing the engagement of the Tyrolia Protector SLR 11 toe piece on the two different binding rails.

SLR vs ELW Rails - SLR binding attached.png

So, I'm pretty confident that the Tyrolia Protector SLR bindings can be mounted onto the Elan ELW 11 binding rails and that they will be held in place. The safety of the bindings to release in the event of a fall is still handled by the Tyrolia Protector SLR11 binding itself.

Everybody else will have to make that judgment call themselves about the compatibility of mounting Protector SLR bindings onto the rails of Elan ELW bindings.

Last edited:

TedJ

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Does anyone have info on the 2024-25 Protectors? A dealer called his Tyrolia distributor for me the other day and said the new Protector Attack will still be a demo type, but will not be MN (instead just standard and grip-walk), as it will be a self-adjusting anti-friction plate. He thought the change might be due to wanting to reduce liability. Has anyone heard anything else?

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
Fitted my protectors to my head magnums today. With the indicators at the correct positions my 325 BSL s-max show the forward pressure at the front edge of the OK area. I need to move either front or rear inward by 1 click to bring the forward pressure to the middle.
This is on factory fitted rails, so there should be no doubt as to the accuracy of the rail installation.
I've no opportunity to try the set-up at the moment.
Is the consensus that the forward pressure will be OK at standard position, or will it be necessary to run them "1-short" ?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fitted my protectors to my head magnums today. With the indicators at the correct positions my 325 BSL s-max show the forward pressure at the front edge of the OK area. I need to move either front or rear inward by 1 click to bring the forward pressure to the middle.
This is on factory fitted rails, so there should be no doubt as to the accuracy of the rail installation.
I've no opportunity to try the set-up at the moment.
Is the consensus that the forward pressure will be OK at standard position, or will it be necessary to run them "1-short" ?
I didn't check my shop mounted P-SLR forward pressure until it became a topic in this thread.
Turns out I had been skiing them with too much forward pressure at around +1 or +2 beyond the 5 line designated area with no troubles. Bindings had released when I assumed they should have, no pre-releasing. I also did have one forward double eject event when I stupidly went on the outside of a off the lift to trails cat track partition before trai drop-in point where unbeknownst to me the untracked snow by the end of the partition was hiding large jagged rocks underneeth the fresh snow. Skis came to a dead stop and I flew forward landing on jagged boulders. I got more beat up than the skis, killed my elbow, thought I may have broken a wrist, had black and blue knees! The skis had two minimal superficial base scratches not even close to deep enough for petex candle repair, edges a little scuffed in some places. Cost me a $65 montana machine tune up to clean them up. Could have just had the edges done but I wanted the bases to be flat with the cleaned up edges. I'm pretty sure the shop guys thought I was nuts to bring them in because the damage was so minimal but thats me.
Anyway, the consensus here was to check center line of boot and ski then move heel piece back a click. One click back and forward pressure is now one line > FP than @ 3rd line center. I have yet to use them setup this way, hopefully soon but will say I tend to like a little more FP and have been setting up my Look Pivots on the higher FP side for years.

Sponsor

Staff online