• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Wachusett Mountain - Abruptly ends season pass sales.

James

Out There
Instructor
He has told me that even when they offer staff training only the long time vets show up. The new hires are a no show with every excuse in the book why they didn't show up.
Well this has sort of always been the case, but it’s usually the same people who come. So, plenty of vets not showing up either. Many reasons, unpaid clinics one of them. Going for cert will get attendance. But that can get economic also, in that it’s not worth it.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I remain somewhat unconvinced.
However, it may be more about training, and the reduction in over the last two decades. So that’s also the opportunity to instill some sort of pride of work.
I would say most people go in as a way to keep skiing and or get passes for their kids or spouse. I don’t think that’s changed much.
I know lots of people who are great instructors but only went down that path so they could keep on skiing. When I was 16 I was a volunteer ski patrol as that let me ski for free and get great deals on gear. At some hills we even got free meals and accommodation. I also got my advanced first aid certification, discounted CSIA Level 1 certification and some great volunteer experience all while providing a much needed service. Win win. Ditto for my friends who instructed and some continue to do so today. My local hill asked me to teach, but prior to covid I traveled too much. My wife was disappointed as if I did teach, the kids Freeride would be half price, the entire family would get discount season passes and mine would be free plus I would also get half price food on the hill. If my companies travel freeze continues maybe I will teach this year :)

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
What was the price for a full day mid-week ticket prior to this new system? Was it even $68?
I have a Wachusett brochure from 2018-19 that I picked up at the Ski Show that year. Like I mentioned before, the published prices were the cap, you could get them for less by purchasing online ahead of time, and early and late season day of ticket window prices are lower too. Even then, the full day ticket wasn't bell to bell. On weekends and holidays it was until 3:30, on weekdays until 4. They also had half day prices and times that are pretty much the same as the current sessions. For the night skiing, current session 4 (7 pm until close) prices are lower than before. I can't find what the double session prices were this past season, but it wasn't just double the price of a single session. From a quick search online I found that if they had capacity at the end of your session this past season, you could add the next one for as little as $5 putting it in line with the previous "full day" prices. The only issue I see with that is not knowing in advance if they would offer it. The only session that seems worse now is the after school time slot from 4-7. They used to have a full night ticket from 4- close or a late night ticket from 7 - close. They don't have the full night anymore, but the 4-7 ticket costs the same as the full night ticket did. But I'm guessing that adding the late night session was one of the $5 deals, so still really no change.

Comparing 2021 prices to 2018
weekend session now $68, half day session then was $66 (full day $71)
weekday session now $62, half day session then was $60 (full day $65)
night session 4-7 now $59, 4- close then was $58
night session 7- close now $39, then was $52.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a Wachusett brochure from 2018-19 that I picked up at the Ski Show that year. Like I mentioned before, the published prices were the cap, you could get them for less by purchasing online ahead of time, and early and late season day of ticket window prices are lower too. Even then, the full day ticket wasn't bell to bell. On weekends and holidays it was until 3:30, on weekdays until 4. They also had half day prices and times that are pretty much the same as the current sessions. For the night skiing, current session 4 (7 pm until close) prices are lower than before. I can't find what the double session prices were this past season, but it wasn't just double the price of a single session. From a quick search online I found that if they had capacity at the end of your session this past season, you could add the next one for as little as $5 putting it in line with the previous "full day" prices. The only issue I see with that is not knowing in advance if they would offer it. The only session that seems worse now is the after school time slot from 4-7. They used to have a full night ticket from 4- close or a late night ticket from 7 - close. They don't have the full night anymore, but the 4-7 ticket costs the same as the full night ticket did. But I'm guessing that adding the late night session was one of the $5 deals, so still really no change.

That may be what the brochure said, but does not reflect what I paid when I skied there BC (Before Covid) on weekdays. I never paid north of $50 for a full weekday ticket, I did always buy at least the night before, so I could go right to the lodge and change (ahhh, the good old days...) then head out onto the, at the time, very empty, hill.

I just looked back through my email reciepts and found full-day midweek tickets ranged from $43 to $49 and my night skiing tickets (4pm to close) were $24.

Perhaps that is like the placards in hotel rooms that show the max allowable rate. :D I was in a hotel up in ME a few weeks ago, the sign on the door said the max rate was $899/night...in central ME. We used points to pay, but I think the website rate was ~$110/night.

TS
M

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier

The half day session BC (before covid) was only for the back end of the day, correct? Now, there is no way just to buy a full day ticket. You have to buy Session 1 for $62/$68 then buy Session 2 for $62/$68 (if that is even allowed up front) for a total price of $124/$136 to a guarantee the equivalent of a full day ticket. Either that, or take your chances that Session 2 wasn't sold out when your 3.5 hour slope time ran out. If I was going to spend the time to drive to Wachusett for the day, park, boot up, have time to have a coffee/warm-up break, lunch, and get some skiing in, I want an all day ticket to justify the time. I am not going to pay $136 for 2 sessions, or hang around after Session 1 expires only to find out that Session 2 is booked out. This would just add stress to my day by knowing I paid $136 to ski at this place, or hoping to get lucky that Session 2 wasn't sold out.

The reason you couldn't find information on buying a double session is because from their website :

*Double Sessions are only offered on select days at limited quantities.
*There is an $18 rebooking/change fee for switching reservation dates or sessions.

What are the "select" days and how "limited" are they? God forbid something comes up after you reserve your session, now it is even $18 more!

Session 4 (7pm to close) have better went down in price because it is now only offered from Dec 25th-March 13th and closing has been reduced to 9:30 pm. That is only 2.5 hours for nearly $40. With the school group and race league crowds up there and ensuing long lift lines, you might get 4 runs in. Only $10 per run. What a bargain!

bbbradley is 100% on when he said they juiced the ticket prices.

I am more convinced than ever that they "sold out" of passes so early because this Session Ticket BS is going to be a goldmine for them.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The half day session BC (before covid) was only for the back end of the day, correct? Now, there is no way just to buy a full day ticket. You have to buy Session 1 for $62/$68 then buy Session 2 for $62/$68 (if that is even allowed up front) for a total price of $124/$136 to a guarantee the equivalent of a full day ticket. Either that, or take your chances that Session 2 wasn't sold out when your 3.5 hour slope time ran out. If I was going to spend the time to drive to Wachusett for the day, park, boot up, have time to have a coffee/warm-up break, lunch, and get some skiing in, I want an all day ticket to justify the time. I am not going to pay $136 for 2 sessions, or hang around after Session 1 expires only to find out that Session 2 is booked out. This would just add stress to my day by knowing I paid $136 to ski at this place, or hoping to get lucky that Session 2 wasn't sold out.

The reason you couldn't find information on buying a double session is because from their website :

*Double Sessions are only offered on select days at limited quantities.
*There is an $18 rebooking/change fee for switching reservation dates or sessions.

What are the "select" days and how "limited" are they? God forbid something comes up after you reserve your session, now it is even $18 more!

Session 4 (7pm to close) have better went down in price because it is now only offered from Dec 25th-March 13th and closing has been reduced to 9:30 pm. That is only 2.5 hours for nearly $40. With the school group and race league crowds up there and ensuing long lift lines, you might get 4 runs in. Only $10 per run. What a bargain!

bbbradley is 100% on when he said they juiced the ticket prices.

I am more convinced than ever that they "sold out" of passes so early because this Session Ticket BS is going to be a goldmine for them.
I would never go there for those prices. If I lived close by it would be worth it for after work sessions or weekends at home. So yeah I would be pissed if they sold out without notice, but we buy our passes in April so whatever I guess.

If my kid does ski team I will end up a Big Blue passholder haha. Guess I better buy it soon.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
From below
  • 9 AM to 4 PM midweek skiing 2019 - $67
    • I always found a deal and never paid full price to ski
  • 9 AM to 12:30 PM midweek skiing 2021 - $68
    • There were no deals to be had that I ever found last winter

They did what they did for a variety of reasons, but anyone who says they didn't jack lift prices is mistaken.

2019 web page archive:

1631141977169.png

Current site:
1631142011957.png

TS
M

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
That "May close at 8 pm up to 12/25/19 and post 3/8/20" from 2019 was not a "may" it was a given for the past number of years. I have a co-worker who used to buy the Bronze pass just for night skiing. I heard about them not being open early/late for night skiing for several years. He got fed up and stopped buying the pass.

At least they are up front now that they will be closing at 7 pm early/late season and 9:30 pm mid season with the jacked up prices.

TS
M

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
The lady doth protest too much, methinks @Mark1975. But in all seriousness, I am enjoying the thread. It is a nice departure from the usual Vail/Ikon bitching.
I am enjoying it too. Especially since I don't ski there. I plan on ragging on Vail, Ikon, and Boyne soon. Then on to the Indy areas. Hot weather and no snow gets me bored. :ogbiggrin:

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Mark1975 I haven't read through the entire thread, but respectfully, there are a lot of bad takes here. The last time I skied at Wachusett was the last year of the MAX Pass, but I grew up skiing at Wachusett and was on the Dev and then Race teams long ago. I've probably skied more days at Wachusett over the course of my life than anywhere else.

First off, limiting pass sales is literally the opposite of greed. Greed would be selling unlimited passes resulting in massive overcrowding. Greed could also be jacking up the prices of season passes, which Wachusett could make a strong case for given that demand is clearly higher than supply. Yes, cutting off pass sales stinks for people who missed the boat, but they clearly communicated that pass sales would get cut off at some point. It's not Wachusett's fault that your friend waited. You snooze you lose.

Second, both daily ticket and season pass pricing is based on supply and demand. If you look at a map of Massachusetts, take a look at where Wachusett is relative to the Boston metro area. Then look at your other options: Nashoba? I raced there in high school, but it's a joke compared to Wachusett. Blue Hills? Bradford? $68 sure is a decent amount for one 3.5 hour session, but when you have almost 9 million people living within an hour or so of the mountain with little other competition, what other choices do you have?

Finally, despite Wachusett only having "925 feet of skiable vertical and only 3 trails that have the full vertical," again, look at the competition. You have to drive what, 40 minutes or so longer to get to a place like Sunapee that has better stats. And while Sunapee is a great little mountain for how close it is to the city, the crowds there are insane. Personally, when I lived in Cambridge I was fine driving further to places like Cannon (an underrated gem), but even that was over 2 hours each way.

I don't get it...ski areas raise prices and people complain. They lower prices (like the Epic Pass just did) and people complain. Ski areas sell unlimited season passes or join multi-resort passes and people complain. Now when resorts limit pass sales instead of just raising prices until supply meets demand people also complain. I guess they can't win :huh: :ogbiggrin:.

---

Ultimately, this situation stinks for your friend, but hopefully this is a lesson learned. Maybe you can buy them a Polar Seltzer to cheer them up ;)!

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Personally, when I lived in Cambridge I was fine driving further to places like Cannon (an underrated gem), but even that was over 2 hours each way.

Love Cannon! There is some great terrain, great scenery, and the (IMO perceived) distance from Boston keeps the crowds down.

Reactions: RJS

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you actually think that's the reason people from the Boston area go there - that they are not able to decide for themselves where to go and it's only their stupidity/ignorance?
Yeah, terrible take from the OP. both for the reason you pointed out and for the underlying implication that the only possible reason people choose a ski area is that it’s a “bargain”.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yup lots of dumb negatives, like Cannon isn't much farther lol i will leave work at 4 and drive 4 hours through traffic to go to nonexistent night skiing at Cannon, then drive another 3 hours home.

I looked up Wachusetts opening and closing - mid nov to about april. Show us some other small mountains that stay open that long.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Wachusett has a lot of positives. They do an amazing job of snowmaking and grooming and have enough terrain for a few hours of skiing. Nothing super challenging, but there's enough pitch off the Summit to enjoy, and the mid-mountain trails may be pretty shallow, but they're great for training. Racers tend to ski there. They also have some of the best beginner terrain I've seen anywhere. Awesome beginner, intermediate mountain, and plenty fun for advanced skiers who, like me, think of every turn as a magical moment and don't get bored skiing the same trails over and over. I never get bored skiing.

Day passes are pricey, particularly last year and this year. Season passes are very reasonable. Weekend = zoo. But where is that not the case?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought about this thread when I saw MRG's notice on FB

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
I thought about this thread when I saw MRG's notice on FB
I don’t have any skin in this discussion but the difference with Mad River, Magic, and maybe others is that they announced in advance they would be limiting season pass sales. I personally applaud this approach given all the uncertainties but key is telling your current and potential customers in advance. It sounded like that was not the case with Wachusett.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had 2 separate emails from Wachusett on April 27. One was addressed to "Dear Season Passholder", the other I assume was from a general mailing list. In the email they announced that passes would go on sale May 3, and that 21/22 season passes would be limited, followed up by "don't miss out." I don't remember if there was anything similar on their site at the time, but passholders were given fair warning.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I don’t have any skin in this discussion but the difference with Mad River, Magic, and maybe others is that they announced in advance they would be limiting season pass sales. I personally applaud this approach given all the uncertainties but key is telling your current and potential customers in advance. It sounded like that was not the case with Wachusett.
This is false, they did say that they would limit sales

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January