• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What do you say to non-skiers when you get injured while skiing?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've heart my knees playing basketball, lacrosse, and soccer. But I've never hurt my knees skiing.

I see you're not superstitious. Naming calls, you know.

I used to say exactly the same thing w.r.t knees. Dunno about heart, but I had hurt my knees skydiving, swimming, rock climbing and gravel skating. Only one of which is nominally

And then 2006 introduced me to its little friend the tree well. All it takes is one slide, one yoink and one upside down hang from a binding heel and that knee will never be right again.

Yet people that know I've had knee issues in he past do tend to say something like "Skiing?!? Isn't that hard on your knees?" when I talk about going skiing.

They're not talking about you. They're mapping your intent on what they would feel or experience.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
is this a thing? I've broken so many bones skiiing, and other sports...
but hey Im from a skiiing country.

Doctors give me "that look" when they look at my journal.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Oh, my, yes. Very much a thing. I can't even tell you how many absurd "you're only one tree away from death" comments I get.

I don't even have the energy to say "You're only one meteorite away from species extinction" more than about 20-30 times every Christmas.

TS
Seldomski

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

Doctors give me "that look" when they look at my journal.

Yes. Every time I say I am taking PTO and going skiing, I get looks of grave concern, like I may not come back from this one.

Obviously I have proved them right this time...

I don't get these looks from everyone. Usually it's the same people saying this.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, my, yes. Very much a thing. I can't even tell you how many absurd "you're only one tree away from death" comments I get.

I don't even have the energy to say "You're only one meteorite away from species extinction" more than about 20-30 times every Christmas.
seriously never ever heard of it, my mum is probably my biggest critic brakeing bones, but even she doesnt think of skiiing as that bad.

Pretty interesting hearing, could it be a country thing?I live in norway, we have tons of skiers in their 80s.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Pretty interesting hearing, could it be a country thing?I live in norway, we have tons of skiers in their 80s.

I'm sure it is a culture and exposure thing; the same people generally say nothing about cycling even though the fatality rate there is far worse than with skiing. It's also funny that they say nothing about one in-law's motorcross or the other in-law's Skidoo.

With countries as big as the US and Canada, you have to use a smaller, finer sampling than just 'country' tho. It's more about peer groups and social groups.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm sure it is a culture and exposure thing; the same people generally say nothing about cycling even though the fatality rate there is far worse than with skiing. It's also funny that they say nothing about one in-law's motorcross or the other in-law's Skidoo.

With countries as big as the US and Canada, you have to use a smaller, finer sampling than just 'country' tho. It's more about peer groups and social groups.
we leave babies outside in winter to sleep. I heard that made it to the news in the US a few years back and was debated.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of ways to hurt yourself.

My mom tripped vacuuming and broke her shoulder in January and I've been taking her to her ortho appointments. They have a whiteboard listing stupid human tricks that's always interesting to see. Skiing doesn't seem to be overly prevalent, even on the CO front range.

PXL_20210216_174233790.jpg

PXL_20210419_203717512.jpg

Note "Slipped on ice" had six hash marks in January. That's one I'm trying to be more cognizant of and careful about.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

My mom tripped vacuuming and broke her shoulder in January and I've been taking her to her ortho appointments. They have a whiteboard listing stupid human tricks that's always interesting to see. Skiing doesn't seem to be overly prevalent, even on the CO front range.

View attachment 131972

View attachment 131971

Note "Slipped on ice" had six hash marks in January. That's one I'm trying to be more cognizant of and careful about.

Start a SHT thread here.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
"You're only one meteorite away from species extinction"

Sounds like a good signature line....

we leave babies outside in winter to sleep. I heard that made it to the news in the US a few years back and was debated.

Not sure if this is exactly what you're referring to, but I visited Copenhagen in, I think, March 2002 (pretty cold - snowed one day) and saw baby carriages left outside of several shops. Talking to some locals, they said a woman was arrested in New York City for doing the same thing, as a tourist there. Definitely something that would never be OK in the US, and would probably be considered endangering the child.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Collection of "skiing" injuries: ( not all me)
Fitting right ski boot and step on own unbooted left toes. Compound toe fractures.

There are several words that pop into my head reading that one, but they aren't family friendly. "Ouch" will have to suffice.

(and given that I've broken two Booster strap cam buckles in the process of seating my heel all the way into a boot, I could see how that could happen).

On the original subject, I broke my left about six years ago, just after moving to a small town in Montana. I ended up meeting at least a few people who already knew how I broke it when they met me. Being a mountain town, there wasn't a lot of judgement involved, though.

"Oh, so you're the one...."

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I laugh at my Doctors appointments when they ask "have you fallen recently" (standard question for old folks).
My usual reply is "Only skiing and mountain biking".

I recently had an illness and with it came terrible thigh and calf cramping that would not quit. I was on a phone consult with the doc and he asked me what my routine was. So ... coffee and banana for breakfast, calf and ankle stretching, ski for three hours, lunch ... He stopped me there and implied that skiing was the cause of the cramping. I told him that was the only thing that made the cramping stop and I didn't know if it was endorphins or the flexed position of the ankle stretching everything out, but that it didn't hurt while I was skiing. I also pointed out that I ski about 70 days a year.

He ordered some bloodwork and didn't bring it up again.

Most of the people who I have known for along time (non skiers) regularly imply that I am too old for that. Heh! I'm only 61. I don't know why they think that - they are still very active and are the same age as me. I think non skiers just assume that skiing is unusually strenuous and dangerous compared to other sports.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Well there is some initial risk (there's always a chance someone will ski into you or you may fall for one of many reasons), but after that, skiing is only as dangerous as you want to make it. I usually make it more dangerous than it is for many folk, but I like it better that way.

Both my mother and my wife view skiing as a very dangerous activity, 100 times more dangerous than I make it for myself.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also, if you want to be judged for activities considered risky by those around you, show up for a doctor's appointment on a motorcycle.

(I didn't think to ask what they thought about riding the motorcycle to go skiing...do I get double points for that?)

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, if you want to be judged for activities considered risky by those around you, show up for a doctor's appointment on a motorcycle.

(I didn't think to ask what they thought about riding the motorcycle to go skiing...do I get double points for that?)
Bob says yes! That is definitely double points.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

View attachment 131972

View attachment 131971

I broke my arm a few years ago skiing. When I started going to physical therapy the therapist asked what sort of activities I wanted to get back to. At one point I asked her if she skied or biked or... Her response? "My job is to fix people who do those things; I like working in my garden".

The "jumped out of a moving car to pick up $1.00" item seems... I don't even know what adjectives to put here.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wife tells me to "be careful" when I go to the hill. She rides horses so there's that.

Ha! While I've had the more serious accident skiing, my wife has a long history of moderate to severe equine related injuries that leave me in the dust total number wise. Most recent: broken pelvis.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Ha! While I've had the more serious accident skiing, my wife has a long history of moderate to severe equine related injuries that leave me in the dust total number wise. Most recent: broken pelvis.
I hope your wife heals quickly.

Horses are like Murphy's Law.
Anything that can go wrong will go wrong". Along with, "Get back on the Horse".

Sponsor

Staff online