• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's on your ski/skiing bucket list?

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
But you post made me also think another thing...maybe there is one thing that I can put in the "bucket list".
Not a place, not a skiing level, but...to ski with you guys, as many as possible of you. I don't know if it will ever happen, but that is a worthy wish for a bucket list, IMHO.

I think we need to have a Euro gathering sometime, even if it’s just a handful of people to start with.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What you really hope for at Alta-Bird is a sleeper powder day where they forecast a couple of inches but it significantly over delivers. The powder crazed crowds usually won't come out unless they're calling for 6"+.
This is why it's on my list, plus feedback from my brother and wife. He lived in SLC about 30 minutes from there in the late 80's, about the same time my wife visited on a college ski trip. He could easily hop up for a few hours whenever he felt like it. I guess the current crowds weren't such a problem? Apparently a lot has changed since then...

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What you really hope for at Alta-Bird is a sleeper powder day where they forecast a couple of inches but it significantly over delivers. The powder crazed crowds usually won't come out unless they're calling for 6"+.

That was yesterday. The Bird site keep saying 2" all day. I must be really short. It skied more like 10"+.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
That was yesterday. The Bird site keep saying 2" all day. I must be really short. It skied more like 10"+.
I like to tell my tall friends that people with short legs get to ski more knee deep powder. :ogbiggrin:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I lucked into a free refill day like that the last time I was there. :cool: I could also be perfectly happy skiing there for a week or so without a single powder day.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I think we need to have a Euro gathering sometime, even if it’s just a handful of people to start with.
Wouldn't it be nice?
Many years ago @Prickly Jones and me were musing about such a thing , in the Italiam Alps, at a quaint little place named Madesimo...alas it neve happene, and, even if I would have loved to continue to ski there I moved to another mountain (long story short, my family and me were looking for a house in the mountain and Made housing prices were too high for our pockets)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm pretty sure we could cobble together a Euro long weekender somehow once travel opens up somewhere in striking distance of Milan, GVA, ZUR or INN even TRN or LYS.

Innsbruck feels fairly central - tunnel for the Italians, autobahn for the Germans and Swiss, maybe a bit far for the French residents.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
If you can catch the Bird on a great corn day you will something very memorable as well. Hitting Mineral Basin when all the stars lined up ranks very high in the memory chart of best days.
Not to be missed.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Alta/Snowbird used to be on my list, but the stories of what those places are like on a powder day kind of put me off the idea.
I've skied a bunch of days there. I am intolerant of crowds (and people generally). The threat of a "scene" is exaggerated in my experience. I can only remember two times when I was really frustrated, and both times it was really more about lift ops issues than the behavior of skiers. I've even been there on modest (4 - 12") powder days when it was pretty dead. (Granted these were weekdays in January, mostly.) In any case snow quality is typically superb even days after a storm, and the terrain is to die for. So go.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is no wrong bucket list, it is what you want so it can't be wrong. I understand that you want to have them look at your skiing and think you can keep up with those elite athletes that is something I have thought about from time to time. Having skied with only a few of our community and realizing I have to keep up with these high level skiers does make me want to get better, it is an appropriate desire. So it is a good goal and I like to set skiing goals.
I have no illusions of keeping up with any of these skiers, but I'd like to not look like Gagh ;)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Never Been
  • Southern Interior BC / N. Idaho / Whitefish
  • Tuckerman (still never done that, even though it's only 2 hours away)
  • PNW (Crystal, Bachelor)
  • Telluride
  • Mammoth
  • Italian Alps
  • Steamboat
Needs a Second Chance After Previous Disappointments
  • Jackson Hole
  • Copper
Familiar but Wanting More
  • Alta/Bird
  • Taos
  • Le Massif
  • Big Sky
  • Targhee
  • Mad River
Seen Enough
  • Park City / DV / Canyons
  • Vail
  • Breck

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I still want to go helicopter skiing. I almost went for my 60th birthday, but hurt my knee right before. (And @DanoT can tell you how "lucky" I was -- that was the only week of the winter it rained at the heli venue.)

I don't really have a list, per se. @Tony S 's looks pretty good to me, though I've been to (and love) Mammoth and never been to Le Massif or Vail.

I'd like to do a Dan Egan Big Sky Steeps camp. And I'd like to do another Jackson Hole Steep & Deep -- maybe I can finally get into the top group!

I want to try some half pipe again -- got to remember next year at Aspen.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have no illusions of keeping up with any of these skiers, but I'd like to not look like Gagh ;)
If you ever ski get a chance to ski with me, for sure I will make you look like one of those top skiers.:)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yellowstone Club WITH SCOT SCHMIDT

FIFY

Adding to my bucket list: White Grizzly snowcat skiing. Always sold out at least a year or two in advance. :(

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
FIFY both, Scot behind the Mrs. at the YC

79483FB5-803B-4EEC-AE74-C3E0BE86E97A.jpeg

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm pretty sure we could cobble together a Euro long weekender somehow once travel opens up somewhere in striking distance of Milan, GVA, ZUR or INN even TRN or LYS.

Innsbruck feels fairly central - tunnel for the Italians, autobahn for the Germans and Swiss, maybe a bit far for the French residents.

I think we just need to see how things are getting on in the fall and come up with a plan. It’s unlikely we’ll be able to agree on a destination that works for everyone, but it should be possible to get at least a few together somewhere.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online