• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's on your ski/skiing bucket list?

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Growing up here in the Northeast I got to sample a lot of different places. My father enabled this and I remember enjoying the variety. I continued this with my kids and we have skied most of Vermont and New Hampshire. I've got quite the pin collection and a lot of photographs. Now as my wife and I approach retirement, we have set a course for the west. I'm looking forward to exploring and traveling (and collecting pins) around the mountains of the west and rekindling my love of outdoor photography.

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
Getting evacuated off a chairlift remains to be checked off my bucket list. Every time the chairlift stops I think here comes another chance for success. The lift seems to always restart leaving me disappointed once again.
You forgot to add with 90 kmh gusts and-70 windchill. Brrrr.

Snowplow Skip

Booting up
Skier
So, Many!! Here's a baker's dozen in no particular order after the top choice.
Top of the list-heli skiing in Alaska or the Cariboo's in B.C.
Alta
Taos
Sun Valley
Jackson Hole
Whistler-Blackcomb (I skied Whistler back before Blackcomb)
Austria-St. Anton, Kitzbühel
France-Val d' Isere, Val Thorens
Revelstoke, B.C.
Colorado-Aspen Highlands
Heavenly Valley

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Chile & Argentina

Last edited by a moderator:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
So, Many!! Here's a baker's dozen in no particular order after the top choice.
Top of the list-heli skiing in Alaska or the Cariboo's in B.C.
Alta
Taos
Sun Valley
Jackson Hole
Whistler-Blackcomb (I skied Whistler back before Blackcomb)
Austria-St. Anton, Kitzbühel
France-Val d' Isere, Val Thorens
Revelstoke, B.C.
Colorado-Aspen Highlands
Heavenly Valley
Unless you have already skied them, once you are in the B.C. interior skiing Revelstoke, then Red and Whitewater become mandatory bucket list. Red, according to Ski Canada Magazine, has the best tree skiing in Canada, and Whitewater is tied with Whistler for most snow at a Canadian resort (40ft), except without all the Whistler rain.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This thread came up again so since I have already skied Aspen, Vail, a couple of places in Austria, Northen Italy all over the NE maybe Utah would be nice and they say you can ski in Hawaii so I would like to try that.

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
US:

- Snowbird (and a rope drop at Mineral Basin, even if it’s a Chinese downhill situation)

- Mammoth

- Squallywood on a deep day. Laps of Headwall, Siberia and Granite Chief.

- Mount Hood summer skiing off Palmer

- Heli skiing in Juneau, AK when weather permits. Haines and Girdwood/South Central AK heli lines are probably above any skill level I’ll get to

Canada:

- Revelstoke

- Cat skiing in the Selkirks

Japan:

- Actual Japow - got skunked in Feb 2024 except for one day of 8 inches on crust. Nozawa Onsen or Furano area.

Other areas:

- Chile - skiing on my August birthday

- Europe - might as well go once even if it’s mostly piste skiing or really serious backcountry.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know about bucket list as far as "I must do this before I die," but I am planning to go to a few places in BC that I haven't been to: Apex, Big White, Silver Star, Fernie, maybe Panorama, probably Kicking Horse.

I think I'm doing a road rip with my SO next year of Apex, Big White, Silver Star and Sun Peaks. They're all within 5-6 hours drive of where I live and I think I'm scouting out where I might want to spend more of my winter when not staying locally.

Fernie would probably be best with a Whitefish trip, another place I haven't been to yet. Maybe add Castle to that trip. Panorama and Kicking Horse could easily be on the same road trip.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got to check off some this season including Sun Valley, Big Sky, Jackson Hole and Aspen/Snowmass.

A few western places I would like to visit including Telluride, Steamboat, Taos and Mammoth. And a visit to the Alps would sure be cool!

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
Having restarted skiing a month shy of age 69 a couple years ago, after stopping in my 40's, my "bucket list" is sort of both more focused and more general: L2 before turning 73. Learn what pow is :) . Spend a winter skiing somewhere in central Europe. (Ukraine, Georgia, Turkey, Hungary. e.g.). I'd settle for a few more years of continued improvement and a few other NE larger areas. Hope the knees hold out.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
So, as the 23/24 season starts wrapping up (got 1 more weekend planned then a monthly visit to the "Big Ramp" in the Meadowlands - another subject, another day) I'm at a very interesting time in my skiing life. Our plans for the future have us spending our winters out in Colorado where we have purchased a condo in ski country. However, that is not going to take place till the 25/26 season. So I have 1 more season based here in the Northeast and I've started thinking about how to spend it and make it a little special.

Born and raised in Northern New Jersey, I was lucky enough to have a father that was into the sport and introduced me to skiing. Living in the NY area has had its advantages and one of them is Northern New England ski country is a reasonable drive and Vermont and New Hampshire became my play ground. I later went to school and then College up in New Hampshire, so I have skied all of the major resorts (exception N Maine) and most of the small/medium size mountains, not just once, but multiple times. So I definitely have Northeast Skiing in my blood.

This has been brought on by having spent the last weekend up in NNE skiing, having fun and stirring up memories, but also other things as well. Being the ski nut I was as a child, I have quite the collection of old ski area brochures that I got a ski shows, ski shops etc. I recently stumbled upon the box I have them stored in and of course had to take a look which gave me an kind of bucket list idea..

One of the brochures I found is back from 1972-73 and features 5 ski areas under the umbrella of the name SKI 93.
IMG_4411.JPG

IMG_4412.JPG

The White Mountains of New Hampshire are some of the most beautiful mountains in the East, however, life for these ski areas has not always been easy. Vermont's Green Mountains have the benefit of more natural snow but still in a decent winter they get good snow. 3 of the areas have been very successful but 2 of the five have had to cease operations at some point of their lives. But thanks to the State of New Hampshire and other investors they are all operational again and so for a quasi bucket list item and god willing with decent snow I going to look into a good old time visit to the old Ski 93 and try to bag all 5.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My kids are in college, oldest finishing up in May.... So, I guess it's time to add skiing with grand kids to the ski bucket list.. No pressure kiddos hahahahaha!

Sponsor

Staff online