• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's your recipe for a traditional short radius non-carved turn

TS
F

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Just my guess, but the pole touch might just be another thing in order to get Isaac involved without bothering the senior executive officer with all the details, getting the mass forward to be in a good position to provide early tip pressure.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
is not pole touch more for timing?

My take is that it is more than just timing.

Try without poles - more difficult, even if the hands are still trying to do the same movements for timing. If we keep drilling without poles we are likely to improve balance, etc. But it's still easier when the poles are re-introduced.

As @François Pugh wrote the pole plant helps up keep the upper body flowing down the hill and even the lightest touch helps us stabilize the rotation of the upper body.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Seems just the motion of flipping my wrist triggers muscle memory and I fall into the next turn.
I sometimes ski with the poles behind my back horizontal or in my left or right hand. I'm to lazy to leave them in the car for a couple runs but will probably do that with a good parking spot sometime this season.

Last edited:

Sponsor