• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have more damn rabbits this year... Anybody else notice this?
Gypsy takes care of that for us.
Our lawn looks great.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Daniel, did that owlet survive?
I don't know the answer to your question for certain but the owlet had managed to climb higher in the tree my brother placed it in by the following day. That night he was able to track down all four owlets by isolating their communicative calls to various locations on his property and the neighbor's property. The day after that all six owls were gone, no doubt due to the parents coaxing the owlets to follow them into new surroundings somewhere in the neighborhood or beyond. I'd like to think all four survived but, like the area I live (the east bench of the Salt Lake Valley), there are numerous predators in the Ashland, OR environs, especially a significant variety of raptors.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We had a juvenile Bull snake stuck in our back garden which is walled in. He managed to get in, but the poor little thing couldn't get up and over the stucco. He kept trying like a sad, snake Sisyphus. We had to call the critter catcher to come rescue him. I wasn't sure if it was a bull or a juvenile rattle snake that hadn't developed rattles because he posed like one with tail in air. The critter catcher said they look like and mimic a rattle snake as protection against predators.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We had a juvenile Bull snake stuck in our back garden which is walled in. He managed to get in, but the poor little thing couldn't get up and over the stucco. He kept trying like a sad, snake Sisyphus. We had to call the critter catcher to come rescue him. I wasn't sure if it was a bull or a juvenile rattle snake that hadn't developed rattles because he posed like one with tail in air. The critter catcher said they look like and mimic a rattle snake as protection against predators.
Yes, they do mimic rattlesnakes which always gives me pause when I encounter one!

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
While about 4 miles into a climb up in the mountainous terrain outside Ashland, OR to ride the Jabberwocky mountain bike trail, my brother and I came across this black bear sow and two very, very small cubs having a rest up in a tree. The cubs are just below Mom but are virtually impossible to see from this angle. Mom was showing signs of unhappiness with our presence so we moved on rather than work into position for a better photo.

Sow and 2 cubs.jpg

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw this Ruffed Grouse on the approach to a hike off of a gated logging road. It was behaving like a Killdeer. It was trying to lure me away by acting like it was injured. I've never seen a grouse do this. It stayed about 15 to 20 feet in front of me doing it's broken wing thing, very odd. I did not see a nest anywhere but it must've been close by.

IMG_0108.JPG

Last edited:

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes! Constantly chasing them away. Looked out at my front yard last night and had three at one time. Went in the back and had two more.

My wife took this while walking her dog today. This is our neighbor’s house. There is a rabbit in the flower pot. They are EVERYWHERE!

50A9532E-CDA1-43F0-842B-0A6CF7876082.jpeg

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the Brooks Falls one on explore is often a better shot than the Riffles cam... but either way, it's always fun to watch the bears fishing.

Sponsor

Staff online