• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WOMEN’S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifer

Putting on skis
Skier
The drawlist referenced above is how the seed board is setup up prior to drawing the actual startlist. Later, (5:00pm est) at the pre-race Team Captain's meeting, Shiffrin will wear bib 6 tomorrow.

Track/snow prep for tomorrow's GS will be an excellent case study. Its been over 24 hrs since the air temp has been below freezing. The 1/10 of an inch of moisture today is always helpful, except when followed by snow, which insulates the warmer surface underneath and keeps it from freezing - effectively a mushier non race surface. Without new snow, chemical treatment would be easy. With the new snow, chemical prep will have to wait.
The forecast prior to athlete inspection is temps to drop 10+ degrees aftef 1am- down to very lower 20s with light snow continuing. Heavy snow to diminish after 1am. Windy.

Surface prep by machine will be required. Too wet to move by hand. When to groom? Now. Begin working the new snow in with the moisture. Stay ahead of the snowfall. Open the wet layer underneath to be mixed with the new snow. Hoping the new wet snow will bond and tighten with the damper undersurface.

Timing is everything. Having an undisturbed prepared snow surface at least 12 hrs prior to sunrise is the norm for lower levels of racing - the goal is a durable track, consistent surface throughout the entire field of athletes. Based on the forecast, final machine surface prep may be as late as 3am- or later... add the discussion/decision of when or whether chemical prep needs to be considered - during grooming, or as a final prep... at a lower level of racing, delaying the start time by 90 minutes would allow the surface to tighten substantially.

The best of the best are on site. Their job is to create a world class surface underfoot. If they miss, it wasn't for lack of expertise. Mother nature will have won again.

My guess: 1st run results for the top 15+ will closely mirror their running order. The 2nd run will have a more consistent surface. Regardless, all athletes will be challenged.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Here is the actual start list
10CF6C02-1F63-448C-91D4-BA3ECCD135FD.jpeg

This gives me less confidence in my picks & makes me want to add Bassino & Worley to the mix but I’ll just say 4th & 5th for them. Hmm, where’s that leave Vlhova :huh:

Last edited:

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
fwiw am on Killington access road stopped snowing since 8 pm EST or earlier. No idea if it is the same at slightly higher elevation on Superstar. It will be cold tomorrow, 20° F (~ -6 C) hopefully they can produce a good surface for the race and conditions will not have too much effect.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
fwiw am on Killington access road stopped snowing since 8 pm EST or earlier. No idea if it is the same at slightly higher elevation on Superstar. It will be cold tomorrow, 20° F (~ -6 C) hopefully they can produce a good surface for the race and conditions will not have too much effect.
I'm at about 2000 ft on the Access Rd and it's still snowing but lightly. Mountain is always a different story.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Track/snow prep for tomorrow's GS will be an excellent case study. Its been over 24 hrs since the air temp has been below freezing. The 1/10 of an inch of moisture today is always helpful, except when followed by snow, which insulates the warmer surface underneath and keeps it from freezing - effectively a mushier non race surface. Without new snow, chemical treatment would be easy. With the new snow, chemical prep will have to wait.
The forecast prior to athlete inspection is temps to drop 10+ degrees aftef 1am- down to very lower 20s with light snow continuing. Heavy snow to diminish after 1am. Windy.

Surface prep by machine will be required. Too wet to move by hand. When to groom? Now. Begin working the new snow in with the moisture. Stay ahead of the snowfall. Open the wet layer underneath to be mixed with the new snow. Hoping the new wet snow will bond and tighten with the damper undersurface.

This is pretty much what happened in Åre WCP:s with the tech races. Hans Olsson got five years older that weekend.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Doug Lewis just announced start is delayed 30 minutes. Looks pretty windy up the hill, hope it settles down enough to race

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So a little delayed and lowered start, but it looks like it’s happening according to what I hear.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Bassino
Brignone
LGB

That snowfall is impressive. I know the course crew was up all night working on things. They'll need an IV drip of coffee today.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looks like today will favor the ones who have an inner Viking to pull out. Wouldn’t be surprised if Hector ’s on the podium. Italian girls always a threat.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Watching the Facebook live pregame show with Doug Lewis now. He is actually providing some good and accurate information. looks like it may actually be clearing a little.
EDIT: Foggy again. Visibility will likely be a deciding factor. Luck of the draw?

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Serious uphill wind gusts. Snow is a bit choppy due to the snowfall. Course crews worked overnight - most operating on zero sleep. Whee!

And greatly reduced media presence - the layout of the finish area is retooled from previous years, with fewer paddocks for the press (and fewer media members) as well as a more direct access to the secure area for athletes - i.e. less opportunity to interact with the fans.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Was just texting with two friends on the hill. I’m not there. Word I got was WIND. Also concern that the surface is going to break apart. MS….tough day, thus far. Back.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, the wind is nuts. Also texting with friends on-site and they're definitely not facing an easy maintenance task right now. And this long course hold is certainly vexing.

I'm not there, either. I'm watching from far warmer climes (i.e. indoors) in Connecticut.

MS' back was limiting her range of motion everywhere, especially on the steeps. She looked stiff and out of sorts.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I’m sitting by a fire, watching it on Peacock.
Thought that report by Pino, where he commented on his chat with Jeff Lackie, the longtime assistant coach {and primary on hill coach} for MS was a surprise. Jeff was VERY clear and open about Miki’s back. Much more so that I felt anybody connected with the USST, or her, would be at this time. It’s NOT good. And not surprising. Will post on the MS thread. She simply can’t get her body to do what she wants/needs it to do. Jeff was talking about chronic problems, “late in career….”

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Race cancelled!

Wind isn't abating. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online