• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WOMEN’S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I hear you with the “push” word. But at that level, is it really any different than “pressing against the ski”?
I get that it’s just semantics but after 40+ years of teaching & coaching I know how people interpret that word. I’ve heard Ligety say it too & you know that young impressionable racers are hanging on his every word. Just one of my peeves I guess. Like sliding, slipping & skidding 3 different words describing 3 different actions yet I hear them used interchangeably often.
Great video from TDK again, we should all go to YouTube and like it. When you watch you’ll notice that the only bad turns turn Petra makes are is when the ski is “pushed” away ;) .
Pushed
5D0AEE7B-E897-4FD5-B846-F9196A4BF809.jpeg

Pressed
99A9AFAF-8D1F-4055-A03F-3FA099E932E6.jpeg

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I hear you with the “push” word. But at that level, is it really any different than “pressing against the ski”? You’re talking 60mph, edge angles well beyond 45 deg, the ski flopping all over sometimes while in the arc. @S.H. , and @Swede , what do you say?
I ... think it depends on the vocabulary built between the athlete/coaches, and what those words mean in that context. Much like we had on the SL training video that got derailed into a discussion on what "deep" means.

I try not to use "push", but sometimes that's the word that makes sense to the athlete, so ... you work with it.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In Swedish, push and pressure is linguistically closer to each other and one word (tryck), so we don't have that issue to the same extent. But I have seen that the word "tryck" also can cause confusion with young racers, resulting in them standing on the inside and trying to "push" on the outside ski, instead of actually standing on the outside and lighten the inside. As I see it, push is relevant going into the turn where you push your body -- outside hip -- forward to get on the front of your skis. My main take away re this is that words needs to be adjusted to individuals and always looked at in a context.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I never use "push" with young racers, it makes it seem like a top down movement.
Interesting that you bring this up.
Terminology can provoke different imagery to different people. I totally appreciate that kind of thinking.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Looks like today’s training run in Lake Louise was canceled. One more chance for training tomorrow.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
(one day I will figure out how to do this with nice formatting like some of the links on page 1 of this thread)
If you just paste the link, and don't use the "insert link" chain button, it will "unfurl" the link into including a bit of description. But it is site/link dependent too... for instance, your skiracing.com links doesn't "unfurl" really. Like this:

It seems even some of the earlier posted skiracing links are no longer unfurling like they did before. I assume something's changed on the site. Other links still unfurl, like these:

Last edited:

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @dbostedo , I thought I was doing something wrong when directly pasting just the url and it wasn’t unfurling. This is good to know.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I get that it’s just semantics but after 40+ years of teaching & coaching I know how people interpret that word. I’ve heard Ligety say it too & you know that young impressionable racers are hanging on his every word. Just one of my peeves I guess. Like sliding, slipping & skidding 3 different words describing 3 different actions yet I hear them used interchangeably often.
Great video from TDK again, we should all go to YouTube and like it. When you watch you’ll notice that the only bad turns turn Petra makes are is when the ski is “pushed” away ;) .
Pushed
View attachment 149962

Pressed
View attachment 149963

That ski isn't being pushed away...it's sliding away from her....and it's sliding on her because she doesn't have enough pressure on the outside (feet are wide and a little tipping in there). So agree that terminolgy matters and ultimately it only matters if the athlete understands what the intention is.

To that end, in SL you will see a deliberate "push/pop/pulse" from the better skiers to help propel them down the hill. Catch the top of the turn and push = fast....push on the bottom = slow.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
49B7AD82-2216-45F9-B9C7-5962A0EA4DA2.jpeg

Johnson
Goggia
LGB

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Shiffrin is on the start list for tomorrow's DH at Lake Lousie, starting 31st (i.e. where those with high overall WCSL points go). She used to be top 5 on the FIS and WCSL lists, back in 2018-19.

Should be an interesting race given they've had one training run followed by two snow cancellations. If they can hold the race the track will be very interesting.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Johnson
Goggia
LGB

Goggia
LGB
Johnson

I think Shiffrin will break top 10 if her back doesn't put the kibosh on things.

Also: Ledecka could be a dark horse tomorrow. She does well at LL.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Suter, Nufer, Huetter
- Should be a law firm

LGB
Goggia
Gagnon

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sunny in Alberta - should be a good race!

It's funny hearing the pre-broadcast chatter on Peacock. Sounds like Andrew Weibrecht is doing color commentary alongside Steve Schlanger.

Frankly, given all the fresh snow I'd expect FIS to have a "powder 8" competition rather than a DH. :ogbiggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online