• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s World Cup 2021

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
USST posted an Instagram video of the women's team free skiing to the base. It was on a trail open to the public, and the surface was "packed powder" soft. On a long-radius ski and a trail that seemed like a green layout (switchbacks and mostly flat pitches) it was a recipe for things going pear shaped if a skier caught an edge.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Is "compound" fracture correct? How do you even do that to your tibial plateau? I hope that is wrong.

Mark1975

Getting on the lift
Skier
compound fracture of the lateral tibial plateau of the right knee

I did the same thing about 20 years ago in a GS race. Shattered my tibial plateau, ripped the ACL off, and nearly tore the MCL in two. It was a long, painful recovery and my knee was never the same...Now that I am older arthritis is setting in. Wishing her the best.

Muleski

Inactive
Is "compound" fracture correct? How do you even do that to your tibial plateau? I hope that is wrong.

I had the same thought and felt that something must have been lost in the translation. Was thinking maybe multiple fractures.....Dunno.
As @Mark1975 sadly knows firsthand, this could be a lot worse than this initial report. Tibeal plateau fractures, I believe, have been helped by advancements in treatment protocols...but having that injury pretty much end careers that I am familiar with, I am so hopeful that this may not be as bad as it sounds. Fingers crossed for her.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Yeah, it can be almost nothing or a huge deal. I'm hoping for the former.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
compound fracture of the lateral tibial plateau of the right knee

Holy crap! That stinks.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^

You said it all, @Tricia. It's awful. Goggia was having a wonderful season and this is just... not cool.

This modified season with a less-than-ideal prep period is taking more than its fair share of victims. While I'm glad this athletes get to compete all too many are getting injured.

I'd love to see the attrition rate at the lower levels - even junior racing. So many athletes are competing on a reduced prep and altered training schedule. There may be some related spike in injuries as athletes who felt cooped up during the pandemic try and go for broke with their sport being a "normal" thing they can do.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
USST posted an Instagram video of the women's team free skiing to the base. It was on a trail open to the public, and the surface was "packed powder" soft. On a long-radius ski and a trail that seemed like a green layout (switchbacks and mostly flat pitches) it was a recipe for things going pear shaped if a skier caught an edge.
If you mean this one then this had to be before weekend. Weekend was wet and foggy, this video doesn't look like so. And it's actually on "road" from top of gondola down to start.
From that what I heard later, Goggia was going down Olympia abfahrt, which is on side (sort of) race track. With that weather, and by the time race was cancelled it was most likely one big bump, so it's normally not to nice to get down. I normally use that route if I manage to get out of track before end of race, but if I'm on position that it's not easy to get out, I always prefer going down race track. This Olympia abfahrt is always full of people, full of bumps and very very narrow on some places, especially if you are a bit faster. For SG most of people are on GS skis for inspection and warmup, so it still shouldn't be that hard to get down, but you should think a bit not going full speed like on polished and closed course.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If you mean this one then this had to be before weekend. Weekend was wet and foggy, this video doesn't look like so. And it's actually on "road" from top of gondola down to start.
From that what I heard later, Goggia was going down Olympia abfahrt, which is on side (sort of) race track. With that weather, and by the time race was cancelled it was most likely one big bump, so it's normally not to nice to get down. I normally use that route if I manage to get out of track before end of race, but if I'm on position that it's not easy to get out, I always prefer going down race track. This Olympia abfahrt is always full of people, full of bumps and very very narrow on some places, especially if you are a bit faster. For SG most of people are on GS skis for inspection and warmup, so it still shouldn't be that hard to get down, but you should think a bit not going full speed like on polished and closed course.
Probably let her guard down, due to not expecting danger, due to not skiing at 10/10ths. Most (not all) of my old karate injuries were from sparing, not competition.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@François Pugh for sure. I'm not saying accidents like that can't happen. I'm actually saying, that it's not so strange to happen at all. Noone is skiing down after cancellation in tourist tempo. They don't even know how to ski slow :D so with conditions like that, it doesn't take much for exactly this to happen, regardless how unbelievable it sounds that racers breaks her leg on tourist track. But thing is, that it really shouldn't happen, and she should be smart enough to take it a bit easier, especially as you actually see conditions on track (first bumpy and shitty part starts with big enough run in to easily slow down even if you have 130km/h in your legs. And she should be smart enough to watch out a bit now when we are less then week from of her home WCH. But then again, she's not really... well not gonna finish this one ;)

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
Shit happens, back in my day Thomas Fogdö, the SL cup winner 92/93 fell in the forest when he took a short cut to training and broke his back. Paralyzed.

Goggia´s injury is probably a compression fracture, not compound.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wow, terrible about Goggia. That article describes a lot of injuries over the years. Amazing she still sends it.

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
It DOES sound like a compression fracture of the TP for Goggia. Those can come in all sorts lof level of fracture. The word that they are talking about "75 days" makes me hope that this is not too severe. Best to take the time to let it heal totally, rehab, etc. So, IMO, it's best that it has been declared to be season ending, and that they will not be pressured to rush her back to compete. Plenty of forces on the body when chasing a DH globe, I assume!

She'll be back, and back sending it. One of the "advantages" of being a star is that she will get great treatment, great rehab, great return to snow PT. Wishing her the very best.

Last edited:

Muleski

Inactive
Back to today's racing.

Pretty interesting day. Not surprised by the winner. She is simply on fire in this discipline, and I am so glad to see her return. I'm frankly amazed to see her complete dominance right now. She was made to race SG, and it's showing. Awesome.

And how about the second step on the podium, a career best. Just when a lot of people were doubting what the rest of her season might look like. BOOM! 80 WC points in a discipline that is not one of her two best. Also Awesome.

I've left names out for those few who somehow come here and hate to see news that has already been plastered all over the media world.

Three of the young American women in the top three, and a very nice 12th for Canadian Mitch Gagnon.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
@Primoz , or anyone else who’s been to this race, what’s the situation with this feature on the course? It’s kind of a jump, but not really? Seems like a knoll to absorb rather then a jump, yet they have that arch over it, usually meaning a jump. Those who get lots of air and end up way down, like Brignone in SG1, seem to lose time or miss a gate.
85757EFE-0435-4979-B82C-4426053D192A.png

3B54985F-5E64-49AA-8022-7C1013C1F621.png

That’s Gut-Behrami.

Sponsor

Staff online