• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

WOMEN'S World Cup 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thank you. Too many named “Markus” (all spelled with k).
Hahaha it's not. One is Markus (Waldner... chief race director for men) the other is Marcus (Mayr, assistant race director for women at tech events... and pretty much nicest guy on tour) :roflmao:
Err... sorry you were actually right... officially both are Markus with k. My bad.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Pretty surprising news, at least for me. Meta Hrovat just put out she's finishing her career. Not timed to when people normally decide to quit, but on the other side not such surprise afterall, as she had whole bunch of issues with her knee and it was anything but great at the moment, and racing and real shocks on knee didn't even start yet.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sorry to hear that. I always though she might break through into a bunch of podiums in gs.
FF7C5C5C-8265-4F1C-9747-AF8117A560C3.jpeg

Training in Zermatt.

3rd place gs, 2021 Kranjska Gora

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry to hear, she was always very enjoyable to watch, really nice and clean technique. But sometimes you have to make tough choices. Don’t know if it’s the case here, but I know a couple of skiers that basically were given the choice to quit now or risk ruining your body completely and be on crutches or in a wheelchair.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In other news: the DH at Matterhorn-Cervina was canceled today after failing snow control. The warm weather at lower elevations meant no meaningful snowmaking could occur.

Hopefully a make-up race will be scheduled to return parity to the speed and tech races. We shall see.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool about the GS (and far simpler in terms of logistics) but a real bummer about the DH for both men and women.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pretty surprising news, at least for me. Meta Hrovat just put out she's finishing her career. Not timed to when people normally decide to quit, but on the other side not such surprise afterall, as she had whole bunch of issues with her knee and it was anything but great at the moment, and racing and real shocks on knee didn't even start yet.
Didn't know she'd had issues with her knee, but after reading Sandi Murovec's coaching book recently, I had a look at some SLO training clips he was involved with and it seemed he encourages moving the inside knee to the inside of the turn in quite exaggerated fashion, past the line of the inside hip, as opposed to up and out of the way and not past the line of the body. When I looked at the WCers, Hrovat seemed to do this quite a lot. Is that a general SLO approach or just a coincidence between a handful of skiers? (Not sure it's there in the race footage, it was more on training clips.) (Not suggesting it caused the injury, just noticed a different knee position.)

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Zirbl main issue with her knee came from last year's Lenzerheide crash, where I was actually pretty surprised her knee was (sort of) ok after she hooked gates and her leg twisted like crazy. I honestly don't have much contact with club/kid coaches here anymore, so I have no idea if Murovec' strategy is main stream nowadays or not, but considering his reputation here, I would more likely bet against that. And I would say in Meta's case this is more concidence then something else, as, like I wrote, her issues are from very particular crash not something else. Most of her other health issues are not knee related, but more of ankle related. Now if these are connected things with technique you mentioned, I have no idea. Maybe, maybe not.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Now if these are connected things with technique you mentioned, I have no idea.
Me neither, wasn't suggesting it was. Talk of her knee just brought what I'd seen to mind, and I have a general interest in what's being coached in different places.

Not sure I follow you re. Murovec's reputation - what is it?

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Zirbl he's a bit well... special :) His ego is somewhere in upper stratosphere, and he doesn't have much results to back it up, so people are mostly on "i don't like this guy" side. But thing is, he has some pretty damn good ideas when it comes to technique and coaching, so as far as I'm concerned, they should listen to him way more then they do. But I guess it's everywhere pretty much same, at least from what I saw, and you have those groups that stick together regardless of what, and if agenda is "we don't like this guy" then we don't like him, regardless if his ideas are actually good. And in his case, he makes is very easy not to like him :D

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is his book worthwhile? Do you have his apps?
I suppose it depends on what you're hoping to get out of a written description of ski technique and stills. I would have liked to have read it in conjunction with the apps, but they're not available for Android. He also made a film with Tina Maze, but I can't find anything but the trailer.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In other news: the DH at Matterhorn-Cervina was canceled today after failing snow control. The warm weather at lower elevations meant no meaningful snowmaking could occur.

Hopefully a make-up race will be scheduled to return parity to the speed and tech races. We shall see.

Only practice were cancelled. Races "candelled" :)

Skärmavbild 2022-10-27 kl. 11.13.41.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor