• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

You can't make this stuff up: Crazy stories ripped from the headlines

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Score one for the Oxford comma!
I'm a member...

1629463754263.png

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
That may be the dumbest court ruling in history (and for the record, I'm a frequent advocate for and user of the 'oxford comma').

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Right now I know an attorney who is involved in another major case hinging on the absence of a comma. This is the kind of thing lawyers do. As an ex-English teacher, I’m ok with the principle that words (and punctuation) matter.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
So it is now not just the letter and intent of the law, it is the punctuation too?
Has anybody looked at the Lewis and Clark journals?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Yup. That's LAW -- written so it's consistent and long-lived, not open to the whims of various era's ideas about "what it means". This example, however, illustrates one of the problems with inconsistent rules for punctuation [insert my ongoing plug for use of the Oxford comma when separation is intended].

Journals/fiction/personal writing does not have to meet the standards of law writing -- nor, for purposes of entertainment and readability -- should it in many cases.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Read a middle English docunent. NOTHING is permanent. Spelling , word meanings, it all changes or it is burned and made up again.
I will get off the soapbox now and have another beer.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Otters are a lot cuter than koi fish, I think. Just look at that face!

Not that that matters to the fish owners!
I feel like if I owned the fish, I'd be like "F*&#ing otters!!" ::shake my fist::

Then take one look at that face..."Okay, have another. Please help yourself."

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
B.C. commercial fishermen have been known to shoot seals in similar situations....so don't be surprised if something similar happens in Singapore.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Otters of all sorts (lutra, lontra and enhydra) make superb kayak mascots.
Uhhhh, river otters in California can be very aggressive. I know a guy whose daughter lost a finger and has permanent scarring from an encounter with one. Even fish and game were at a loss to explain why she was attacked.

James

Out There
Instructor
Do they have pelts like sea otters?
If so, there’s a simple solution, but a problem stopping once the slaughter begins.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Otters of all sorts (lutra, lontra and enhydra) make superb kayak mascots.
We need some of those to help with that invasive species of fish that came from the Far East with the cargo ships.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Uhhhh, river otters in California can be very aggressive. I know a guy whose daughter lost a finger and has permanent scarring from an encounter with one. Even fish and game were at a loss to explain why she was attacked.

Even so. There are any number of creekers, whitewater paddlers and sea tourers here who find them inspirational - and the proof is everything lutrine from stickers and bracelet charms to foredeck inlays to little figurines for the bow.

Sponsor