• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

16 y.o. runs down bicyclists in TX

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So out of all those bikes, nobody had a camera running? It's getting to where everyone out there should be recording ALL the time.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
“The police did an investigation at the scene. This included speaking with eyewitnesses… After their investigation they decided not to charge my client and did not issue him a traffic citation. Clearly, they decided a crime had not occurred.”
Clearly, they're either corrupt or incompetent. Or both.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Presumably the kid was trying to do this-

Thanks for finding this.
I gather that the kid got too close to the group of riders as he sprayed exhaust and he physically ran into several of them. Supposition is that he intended to do harm with exhaust, not with collision. Is this the general understanding from what people here have been reading?

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for finding this.
I gather that the kid got too close to the group of riders as he sprayed exhaust and he physically ran into several of them. Supposition is that he intended to do harm with exhaust, not with collision. Is this the general understanding from what people here have been reading?
My impression is he was watching the effect of the smoke behind him and ran into riders who were at the front of the group.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
100% this.

The facts we know is that this kid is from a privelaged family, and the police (according to witness reports from credible news feeds) didn't really investigate or bother to take information from the witnesses.
This is a screen shot of the statement made 4 days after the incident by Waller County DA's office. :nono:
View attachment 144310
From the article on Bicycle Magazine. I'm betting the involvement of Bike Law is why there is an independent investigator.

The 16-year-old driver is being represented by Houston lawyer Rick DeToto, who told the Houston Chronicle: “The police did an investigation at the scene. This included speaking with eyewitnesses… After their investigation they decided not to charge my client and did not issue him a traffic citation. Clearly, they decided a crime had not occurred.”

The six cyclists who were hit are being counseled by Bike Law, a national network of independent attorneys who specialize in helping injured cyclists get justice. There’s also a GoFundMe page to help offset expenses.
That is a great statement by the Waller County Sheriff's Dept. But the real test will be living up to it on a consistent basis.

The statement by the driver's attorney is just disgusting though. He either is incompetent and doesn't understand law enforcement or is trying to prey on the ignorance of the masses to try the case in the court of public opinion. I wonder which one it is?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The statement by the driver's attorney is just disgusting though. He either is incompetent and doesn't understand law enforcement or is trying to prey on the ignorance of the masses to try the case in the court of public opinion. I wonder which one it is?
The driver's attorney is required (professionally and legally) to defend his client to the best of his ability. Taking a stance that "he wasn't charged at the scene, so he must not have done anything wrong", seems to make sense as a defense, and is not lying. So I'd hardly call it disgusting or any of the other things you mentioned from a legal point of view.

As far the court of public opinion... well, yeah... that's a problem since this isn't actually a court case yet, where public opinion can more easily be ignored. So perhaps it could be viewed as disgusting to litigate things through the media before it even gets to trial. But again, given all the other things in the media currently about the case, I can't blame the lawyer for trying to make the points he did.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The driver's attorney is required (professionally and legally) to defend his client to the best of his ability. Taking a stance that "he wasn't charged at the scene, so he must not have done anything wrong", seems to make sense as a defense, and is not lying. So I'd hardly call it disgusting or any of the other things you mentioned from a legal point of view.

As far the court of public opinion... well, yeah... that's a problem since this isn't actually a court case yet, where public opinion can more easily be ignored. So perhaps it could be viewed as disgusting to litigate things through the media before it even gets to trial. But again, given all the other things in the media currently about the case, I can't blame the lawyer for trying to make the points he did.
From a legal POV, it is simply nonsense. The attorney would never dare utter those words in court. I find attorneys as PR reps . . . disgusting. If it is really PR--say the family businesses are worried about fall out--they need to hire a PR person and that is entirely separate from defending the kid. If it is not that, it is an attorney attempting to corrupt a potential jury pool. Which . . . disgusts me.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for finding this.

My impression is he was watching the effect of the smoke behind him and ran into riders who were at the front of the group.
Reading statements from cyclists in the first group he smoked:
Bicycling.com
One of the cyclists, Chase Ferrell, was behind the main group of six cyclists and says the driver passed by and “rolled coal” on him first, as reported by the Houston Chronicle.
<snip>
Ferrell then witnessed the driver speed up towards the group of six cyclists ahead of him in an attempt to roll coal on them next—and that’s when the driver plowed into them.

“The reason he couldn’t stop is because he was accelerating to blow more diesel fuel on these cyclists,” Ferrell said about the attack, according to Fox26 Houston. “He ended up hitting three people before his brakes even started.”

Image from linked article.
That doesn't look like he brushed them, but more like he ran directly into them.
Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 6.37.43 AM.png

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Presumably the kid was trying to do this-

I can't wrap my head around the mindset of any human being who thinks this is funny or fun. I mean, there are funny practical jokes (especially when played on friends) but this is absolutely assault.

Related story: a neighbor got run off the road last week in her car by a dude who was driving on the wrong side of the road. She chased him down and he stopped in front of a business, and she called the sheriff. He got out of the car and was clearly intoxicated on something. Sheriff showed up, didn't do a field test, and told her "oh, that's (insert name here) he's old and is always like that." Failed to cite him, anything. Welcome to small county rural law enforcement. Last I heard, she's planning to file a formal complaint with the chief deputy. The entire right back end of her vehicle got ripped off as she hit some trees to avoid being run into by him.

Anyway, thread drift to illustrate that justice isn't always served because somebody knows someone. What a crock. I know it's hard to make smart decisions as a victim in situations like this. I learned the hard way in my 20s when an older lady ran into me in a parking lot, admitted guilt, we exchanged info, then her husband got involved and said it was my fault and I had no way to prove otherwise.

James

Out There
Instructor
I can't wrap my head around the mindset of any human being who thinks this is funny or fun. I mean, there are funny practical jokes (especially when played on friends) but this is absolutely assault.
Don’t read the youtube comments. When justifying, It’s not only against bicyclists, it’s against “envronmentalists”. So in their view it’s funny.
They also associate it with patriotism, but we can’t go there.

Sponsor

Staff online