• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 or 2022 Toyota Sienna AWD as road trip vehicle

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm not sure about cars, trucks, husbands or wives, but with RVs its best to get a used one because then all the problems, mistakes, and deficiencies have been addressed and usually fixed; manuals not needed.
Winnebego Man-
(F bomb city, NSFW)

SheltieGuy

Retired Citizen; He/Him
Skier
We will be making a road trip west with our 2 dogs next summer. I wasn’t going to consider a new vehicle, but the new Sienna AWD (hybrid) seems to fit the bill as a great road trip vehicle: lots of room, good tech, an AWD option, and great gas mileage. The only bummer is the 2nd row seats are no longer removeable, but can be shoved far forward. However, when traveling with 2 dogs, I do want them in seats because I buckle them in with seat belts on dog harnesses for safety.

I never thought I’d consider a minivan but it appears just more practical in terms of comfort and space, and the 35mpg is great. I no longer want a vehicle that gets under 30mpg, so I’m psyched by this.I’d be looking to purchase one in the fall or winter.

Does anyone have any advice? Hints on outfitting for a long road trip? (@jmeb )?

The 2022 Sienna comes in a “woodlands” version that is lifted, but it’s only 0.8“ higher than the standard version. Doesn’t seem like a big advantage.

Here’s an interesting take on this vehicle:
Hi there. I came across this thread while Googling endlessly about the Sienna AWD, and while I see this thread has been quiet for some time, I have a question I didn't see discussed: reasons you didn't look at or consider a RAV4 since I believe you said your brother drove one.

We are likely going to trade either a 2014 Prius C or a 2017 Prius V in the next 12 months, have two dogs (shelties; we crate rather than harness, so they don't ride in the seats) and a need for a comfortable road vehicle with good mpg and cargo space. The Prius V is serving us "ok", and I believe it's cargo room is similar to what you had in your Outback, but frankly I'm tired of playing Tetris every time we load up.

Was cargo capacity your main consideration over the RAV4? I am personally sold on a Sienna, but my spouse is focused on mileage and cost. I'd be very interested to know how you like the Sienna a year plus out. Thanks!

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi there. I came across this thread while Googling endlessly about the Sienna AWD, and while I see this thread has been quiet for some time, I have a question I didn't see discussed: reasons you didn't look at or consider a RAV4 since I believe you said your brother drove one.

We are likely going to trade either a 2014 Prius C or a 2017 Prius V in the next 12 months, have two dogs (shelties; we crate rather than harness, so they don't ride in the seats) and a need for a comfortable road vehicle with good mpg and cargo space. The Prius V is serving us "ok", and I believe it's cargo room is similar to what you had in your Outback, but frankly I'm tired of playing Tetris every time we load up.

Was cargo capacity your main consideration over the RAV4? I am personally sold on a Sienna, but my spouse is focused on mileage and cost. I'd be very interested to know how you like the Sienna a year plus out. Thanks!
Thanks for your post.

I love the Sienna as much as I did as when we first got it. I probably love it even more. Yes, cargo space and ease of loading is what made me choose it over the RAV4. And yes, it is more expensive, which is a consideration, for sure. During the past year or so, I've come to really appreciate the sliding van doors over a tradition car door. It has also been a great ski vehicle! I can fit 2-4 pairs of skis in a bag between the seats, so that doesn't sacrifice any cargo space. I can also load the skis though the sliding side doors if I want to, instead of through the back.

On day ski trips, I slip into the 2nd row seat to change into my jeans for the drive home. Lots of room to maneuver around with privacy.

Ride is super comfy, and we have taken 6 people on a road trip (university students, so tall gangly guys, not little kids) and they were seated comfortably, even in those 3rd row seats.

If you have shelties in crates, the back of the Sienna has a ton of space for them.

I kind of scratch my head at folks who purchase large SUV's, who would've done much better in the Sienna. Last weekend I drove a new Ford Explorer (owned by my employer) to a conference, with a ton of boxes of books and equipment in the back. That vehicle was not nearly as comfy, nor did it have the space and loading ease of my Sienna. And gas mileage was about 8-10 mpg lower.

Oh yeah, I am running good winter all weather tires, and it has been great in snow. Crappy snowy roads in Duluth and New England, no problem.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I kind of scratch my head at folks who purchase large SUV's, who would've done much better in the Sienna.
As an owner of a larger SUV, a Yukon XL, we actually use the space and capacity but as a step down, I do agree that the Sienna is a much better option that most of the medium and large-medium options out there.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As an owner of a larger SUV, a Yukon XL, we actually use the space and capacity but as a step down, I do agree that the Sienna is a much better option that most of the medium and large-medium options out there.
You guys are the exception.

Most people aren't traversing the western US with a bunch of skis (and skiers and gear) in tow. Most people have 2 soccer-playing kids in the back and maybe a few groceries, that's it.

;)

My husband rents a Yukon XL or similar for field work when traveling with college students, the extra room and clearance are necessary for off road excursions.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I have both a 2020 RAV4 AWD hybrid and a 2017 non-hybrid AWD Sienna. If you’re looking for storage space, then the Sienna is the only rational choice. The RAV4 isn’t bad, but the space in the sienna is bigger and more versatile. I use a roof box for skis on both, and it’s a luxury on the Sienna and a necessity on the RAV4.

I can fit 4 adults and all their ski gear in the RAV4 easily, but 2 medium dog crates would eat up most of the trunk space. With a small roof box we can take 4 adult-sized people (2 adults, 2 teens), camping gear, inflatable paddle boards/kayaks, and an 80+ pound dog camping in the Sienna without feeling cramped.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had never driven a Mini van until two years ago during the pandemic as that was all that was available. I believe it was domestic . I was surprised about how well it handled and how comfortable it was at up to 6-7 hours at a stretch.
The second surprise was the cavernous amount of room in the back with the seats folded down. Almost 7’ of unobstructed depth -better than some pick -up trucks.
As for hybrids, we’ve owned several, all Lexus ( Toyota).
I suspect @James is right to some degree, all of our Lexi run off the electric motor below 35-40mph - unless they need to recharge or you decide to floor it from a stop. After that they switch between ICE and electric as needed but at continuous high speed or with a load they favor gasoline. Another thing to investigate it the fuel capacity as some hybrids have smaller tanks. It’s definitely worth a test drive.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ouch, "as a step down"

you need sensitivity training!! ;)

as an engineer I know one designs to the needed parameters and not overdesign, or maybe "form follows function".

I'd say if a Sienna meets the requirements, then spending more is wasteful if rides are similar. (but man, the seating in the Yukons, Tahoes, Silverados, GMC is sooo nice)

I do like the Yukon's myself, but a truck fits my hauling rock, gravel, lumber, bricks, etc more.

SheltieGuy

Retired Citizen; He/Him
Skier
Thanks for your post.

I love the Sienna as much as I did as when we first got it. I probably love it even more. Yes, cargo space and ease of loading is what made me choose it over the RAV4. And yes, it is more expensive, which is a consideration, for sure. During the past year or so, I've come to really appreciate the sliding van doors over a tradition car door. It has also been a great ski vehicle! I can fit 2-4 pairs of skis in a bag between the seats, so that doesn't sacrifice any cargo space. I can also load the skis though the sliding side doors if I want to, instead of through the back.

On day ski trips, I slip into the 2nd row seat to change into my jeans for the drive home. Lots of room to maneuver around with privacy.

Ride is super comfy, and we have taken 6 people on a road trip (university students, so tall gangly guys, not little kids) and they were seated comfortably, even in those 3rd row seats.

If you have shelties in crates, the back of the Sienna has a ton of space for them.

I kind of scratch my head at folks who purchase large SUV's, who would've done much better in the Sienna. Last weekend I drove a new Ford Explorer (owned by my employer) to a conference, with a ton of boxes of books and equipment in the back. That vehicle was not nearly as comfy, nor did it have the space and loading ease of my Sienna. And gas mileage was about 8-10 mpg lower.

Oh yeah, I am running good winter all weather tires, and it has been great in snow. Crappy snowy roads in Duluth and New England, no problem.
Thanks for the information. I’m sold

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Vans are boxes. Boxes hold more stuff. Many smaller SUV/CUV are boxes with the roof line hacked off. Box wins for space but may fail in the coolness factor.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The Sienna is awesome but it is generally $5000-$10000 more expensive than a Subaru Ascent. That is a lot of money and the Ascent is an awesome vehicle for the winter and year round around here. Now, compared to some $60k plus SUV's the Sienna I guess its a bargain and I agree a lot of folks would be much better buying it. They are awesome.

SheltieGuy

Retired Citizen; He/Him
Skier
The Sienna is awesome but it is generally $5000-$10000 more expensive than a Subaru Ascent. That is a lot of money and the Ascent is an awesome vehicle for the winter and year round around here. Now, compared to some $60k plus SUV's the Sienna I guess its a bargain and I agree a lot of folks would be much better buying it. They are awesome.
I had a 2000 Outback that I really liked, and while the economics of an Ascent might work out (even though I’d never be able to sell the lower mpg to my spouse), it doesn’t really have significantly more cargo room than my current Prius V. I don’t really need all the space a Sienna would offer, but I am looking for more than a relatively small bump (which is why I don’t see the RAV4 working for us). And frankly, I’ve had better experiences with the Toyota products and service than I did with Subaru :huh:.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Vans are boxes. Boxes hold more stuff. Many smaller SUV/CUV are boxes with the roof line hacked off. Box wins for space but may fail in the coolness factor.
I like to think that I'm a cool van-driving woman! :ogcool:

(And my box is pretty aerodynamic)!

My Subaru-driving ski friends, when they saw me drive up in the Sienna, were like, "A VAN?" and I said, "Yep!"

My Sienna is fun to drive!

I'm past caring what people think of me! :roflmao:

Last edited:
TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a 2000 Outback that I really liked, and while the economics of an Ascent might work out (even though I’d never be able to sell the lower mpg to my spouse), it doesn’t really have significantly more cargo room than my current Prius V. I don’t really need all the space a Sienna would offer, but I am looking for more than a relatively small bump (which is why I don’t see the RAV4 working for us). And frankly, I’ve had better experiences with the Toyota products and service than I did with Subaru :huh:.
My sister has an Ascent. Her touring version is about the same price as what I paid for my Sienna. Anyways, the Ascent is nice, for sure, but I agree, it doesn't have the same amount of space. I do like how my Sienna drives much better than my sister's Ascent (I've been a Subaru gal for years, so I'm not biased towards Toyota).

Also, the ease of loading/unloading the Sienna is wonderful. Honestly, sliding rear doors make so much more sense, especially in tight spaces. Our 2 dogs use the 2nd row seats, and they are harnessed in with doggie seat belts. It works really well and I can get in there and attend to them if I need to much more easily.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had never driven a Mini van until two years ago during the pandemic as that was all that was available. I believe it was domestic . I was surprised about how well it handled and how comfortable it was at up to 6-7 hours at a stretch.
The second surprise was the cavernous amount of room in the back with the seats folded down. Almost 7’ of unobstructed depth -better than some pick -up trucks.
As for hybrids, we’ve owned several, all Lexus ( Toyota).
I suspect @James is right to some degree, all of our Lexi run off the electric motor below 35-40mph - unless they need to recharge or you decide to floor it from a stop. After that they switch between ICE and electric as needed but at continuous high speed or with a load they favor gasoline. Another thing to investigate it the fuel capacity as some hybrids have smaller tanks. It’s definitely worth a test drive.
Yeah, my Sienna generally runs on the electric motor at about 35 mph, unless it has a load or is cold outside. Acceleration is GREAT. I can go 400-500 miles before filling up depending on type of driving.

BUT....we are most likely retiring in Portugal (a lot is happening this week)! and then we have to sell my lovely Sienna. Transporting a car from US to Europe is not worth it, and having a minivan there is just impractical. Many roads are narrow and some are narrow with old walls that nearly brush the side view mirrors so a smaller vehicle is necessary.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like to think that I'm a cool van-driving woman! :ogcool:

(And my box is pretty aerodynamic)!

My Subaru-driving ski friends, when they saw me drive up in the Sienna, were like, "A VAN?" and I said, "Yep!"

My Sienna is fun to drive!

I'm past caring what people think of me! :roflmao:

Yeah, my Sienna generally runs on the electric motor at about 35 mph, unless it has a load or is cold outside. Acceleration is GREAT. I can go 400-500 miles before filling up depending on type of driving.

BUT....we are most likely retiring in Portugal (a lot is happening this week)! and then we have to sell my lovely Sienna. Transporting a car from US to Europe is not worth it, and having a minivan there is just impractical. Many roads are narrow and some are narrow with old walls that nearly brush the side view mirrors so a smaller vehicle is necessary.
ohh, sell to me!!!!

I've thought the styling of the Sienna pretty decent especially when looks at the old day Minivan.

We had an Olds Silhouette and for kids, travel, etc . I too would ignore the look down. Mini's simply have some decent advantages, ours could haul plywood which is one definition of a good vehicle. Too, great if you bike, can haul em inside with little issue.

The mileage is definitely a consideration if saving 20% or so, adds up over time. I ponder the 4wd Sienna one now as it's just handy and I beginning a look.

Edmunds shows the TCO of the Toyota being lower over 5yrs, mostly fuel but maintenance is lower by 2K.

I'm not sold on pure electric but am on the Hybrids, mostly as there's so few chargers (my neck of the woods) and more so, the time to refuel.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

A little personal, but Portugal seems like a fairly big change from the Duluth plans?

But don't despair, there are several really cool, slightly smaller/narrower Euro minivans available -- and some with stick shifts!!!!

Revival of this thread makes me sad/furious that Toyota ditched the removable second row seat option on this new version. We love our 2011, but the miles are piling up!

Sponsor

Staff online