• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Big Bear, Mountain High, Waterman, Baldy Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Today's Ski report:

(TL/DR - Snow started out crusty and hard, softened by noon, potholes, potholes, potholes and check the CalTrans app before leaving town)

As you can guess, the rain yesterday put a damper on conditions. It was hard crust that would hold an edge nicely on piste (if one can do that, I cannot), and hell if you took an off piste or ungroomed run ( Tommi's... blerg). Naturally things softened up nicely and were cut up by midday.

Sadly the grooming on Summit Run and Miracle Mile were compromised by the rain the day before as there were noticeable troughs were the groomers made their passes which resulted in a wave like effect when traversing the fall line (something I have never seen there). I don't think Sundown was groomed, which for a green I felt was a poor choice as it was hardened chopped up crap, not something for the inexperienced I feel.

Crowds were very mild, Chair 2 had the longest lines on the side next to the run out of Westridge. Chair 1 was hardly a 5 minute wait at best. 7 and 10 were ski up and load, I waited 1-2 minutes. 9 was a few minutes wait. Overall, a good day for skiing in terms of crowding.

Access to the resort: I experienced both routes in one day. I took the 38 up and found it fine with only a few spots of icy concern. No chains were needed and there were no controls in place. Getting into town... well let me tell you this: Be prepared for Frogger. The potholes on E.Big Bear Bl are a craptastic rollercoaster of epic proportions! Be warned! Both directions between Stansfield Cutoff and the right hander at Green Spot are a literal shitshow. Take it slow and keep your eyes peeled.

So we left the way we came. Until we didn't. Sadly there was a serious wreck on the 38 near Rainbow Lane. Traffic was backed up for several miles. I found out later that the road was closed to both directions, which would explain why a number of the vehicles coming up from the opposite direction were giving us hand signals to turn around. So I did... I learned that the 18 into Lucerne is interesting and long. And then there is the Cajon pass and all that it entails. I also found out later that had we waited in the outbound lane, we would have been there at least an hour and a half if not two...

I'm F'n tired... G'nite!

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Today's Ski report:

(TL/DR - Snow started out crusty and hard, softened by noon, potholes, potholes, potholes and check the CalTrans app before leaving town)

As you can guess, the rain yesterday put a damper on conditions. It was hard crust that would hold an edge nicely on piste (if one can do that, I cannot), and hell if you took an off piste or ungroomed run ( Tommi's... blerg). Naturally things softened up nicely and were cut up by midday.

Sadly the grooming on Summit Run and Miracle Mile were compromised by the rain the day before as there were noticeable troughs were the groomers made their passes which resulted in a wave like effect when traversing the fall line (something I have never seen there). I don't think Sundown was groomed, which for a green I felt was a poor choice as it was hardened chopped up crap, not something for the inexperienced I feel.

Crowds were very mild, Chair 2 had the longest lines on the side next to the run out of Westridge. Chair 1 was hardly a 5 minute wait at best. 7 and 10 were ski up and load, I waited 1-2 minutes. 9 was a few minutes wait. Overall, a good day for skiing in terms of crowding.

Access to the resort: I experienced both routes in one day. I took the 38 up and found it fine with only a few spots of icy concern. No chains were needed and there were no controls in place. Getting into town... well let me tell you this: Be prepared for Frogger. The potholes on E.Big Bear Bl are a craptastic rollercoaster of epic proportions! Be warned! Both directions between Stansfield Cutoff and the right hander at Green Spot are a literal shitshow. Take it slow and keep your eyes peeled.

So we left the way we came. Until we didn't. Sadly there was a serious wreck on the 38 near Rainbow Lane. Traffic was backed up for several miles. I found out later that the road was closed to both directions, which would explain why a number of the vehicles coming up from the opposite direction were giving us hand signals to turn around. So I did... I learned that the 18 into Lucerne is interesting and long. And then there is the Cajon pass and all that it entails. I also found out later that had we waited in the outbound lane, we would have been there at least an hour and a half if not two...

I'm F'n tired... G'nite!
Great report. Thanks for sharing!!

We have more rain(maybe a little snow) in coming so I hope it doesn't wash away the snow too soon.

I'd like to go sometime soon when I can but I do have a few Mammoth trips in April so I need to stay Patient...

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I went out at Summit yesterday around noon and it was horrible.. rain crust, tracked up mank, piles of chunky cement everywhere. Then, Blizzard #12 came to the rescue last night and buried all of it, another incredible powder day. Ski, shovel, eat, sleep. Dumping again!

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I went out at Summit yesterday around noon and it was horrible.. rain crust, tracked up mank, piles of chunky cement everywhere. Then, Blizzard #12 came to the rescue last night and buried all of it, another incredible powder day. Ski, shovel, eat, sleep. Dumping again!
How are the roads up there? Do you think clear enough by Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online