• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 2022-2023 Big Bear, Mountain High, Waterman, Baldy Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I‘ve never been at Bear with enough snow to ski the canyons. Where exactly do you drop in?
You can drop in to Goldmine Canyon right off the top of #9, it will funnel you down to the bottom of Silver, chair #4. Catch 4 and either return to Goldmine or hit Deer Canyon on skiers right. You also have the option to go left off of #8 back to Deer, or right in to Bow Canyon. Bow is OB and should be treated as backcountry. You can easily find yourself with a long walk back to the resort if you succumb to the lure of freshies!

Tsac77

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
You can drop in to Goldmine Canyon right off the top of #9, it will funnel you down to the bottom of Silver, chair #4. Catch 4 and either return to Goldmine or hit Deer Canyon on skiers right. You also have the option to go left off of #8 back to Deer, or right in to Bow Canyon. Bow is OB and should be treated as backcountry. You can easily find yourself with a long walk back to the resort if you succumb to the lure of freshies!
Awesome! Any advice while inside goldmine or deer? Areas to head toward or avoid?

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Awesome! Any advice while inside goldmine or deer? Areas to head toward or avoid?
I just try to avoid getting gullied out in the ravines. These areas are all skiable but are best when fresh.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Household chores in advance of a Mammoth trip this coming week. I would go otherwise...
Well, Sunday was much better than I expected.

Got to Summit Blvd at 7:15 and parked very close to parking lot.

No "crowds" until maybe 10. Actually, not really crowded all day. Snow was groomed pretty much every where(yes, I prefer that). For all the snow driving up, I thought there might be more snow on slopes but still pretty good. It softened up around 10:30 but never really got slushy all day. Maybe 38-40 for a high?

With a day like today with good snow and little crowds, I'll be there next sunday too!!

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Went to Snow Valley a couple times this week, first with my boys (Tuesday) then on my own (Friday). They are making the adjustment to life with the IKON pass, with lots of people showing up. It was busy today, and several people I talked to on the lift were there because of the pass. I had planned to go to Snow Summit today but after getting stuck behind a slow bus on the drive up decided to shorten the ride and went to Snow Valley. It was a good decision and not just because of the shorter distance.

On Tuesday they were sending IKON pass holders upstairs for a lift ticket, but today they had adjusted and had a person with a stack of lift tickets passing them out to people with passes. So that went quick.

The other really good thing was the fresh snow on Slide Peak. It’s short but it’s pretty steep and with soft conditions and a few stashes of untracked snow it’s great. I made lap after lap through the trees. It’s better than Summit/Bear with full coverage and good snow, though not as good/long a run as at Baldy.

All in all a good couple days, one with my boys and one hitting the steeper stuff.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Went to Snow Valley a couple times this week, first with my boys (Tuesday) then on my own (Friday). They are making the adjustment to life with the IKON pass, with lots of people showing up. It was busy today, and several people I talked to on the lift were there because of the pass. I had planned to go to Snow Summit today but after getting stuck behind a slow bus on the drive up decided to shorten the ride and went to Snow Valley. It was a good decision and not just because of the shorter distance.

On Tuesday they were sending IKON pass holders upstairs for a lift ticket, but today they had adjusted and had a person with a stack of lift tickets passing them out to people with passes. So that went quick.

The other really good thing was the fresh snow on Slide Peak. It’s short but it’s pretty steep and with soft conditions and a few stashes of untracked snow it’s great. I made lap after lap through the trees. It’s better than Summit/Bear with full coverage and good snow, though not as good/long a run as at Baldy.

All in all a good couple days, one with my boys and one hitting the steeper stuff.
Great report. I was planning on SV today too but it didnt work out. Curious, what time did Slide peak open? I've noticed it's normally at 1pm for some reason. Great deep snow back there.

Parking is easier there too...

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Great report. I was planning on SV today too but it didnt work out. Curious, what time did Slide peak open? I've noticed it's normally at 1pm for some reason. Great deep snow back there.
It was open at 10 am both Tuesday and Friday, but a guy I talked to on the lift said it wasn't open yesterday when it was snowing and that he and some others had bootpacked up in order to get some powder turns. But maybe it opened later? At any rate, today the whiteboard sign at the bottom of the main lift said "Slide opens at 10"

It's short but it's a great section.

Tsac77

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The whole Nord Valley area up there is great too with this much snow

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be skiing Summit this Mon, Tues, Wed if anyone is going to be around. I may hit SV on Friday just to check it out. Are they charging for parking at SV or are they including it in the Ikon pass?

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I will be skiing Summit this Mon, Tues, Wed if anyone is going to be around. I may hit SV on Friday just to check it out. Are they charging for parking at SV or are they including it in the Ikon pass?
I would imagine Tues and Wed will be pretty good.

I skied today(Sunday), crowds are definitely more sparse now. It was too warm today though. Got slushy by 11.

I think BBMR dont charge anymore on parking weekends. I didnt realize that and parked on Summit Blvd but I could have parked in lot today..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online