• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Ford Maverick

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Think about all the standard features Ford has in the Maverick that used to optional. (Rough value in parenthesis based on past optional value)
  • Automatic ($1,000)
  • Quad cab ($1,000)
  • ABS ($800)
  • Apple CarPlay/Android ($400)
  • Power Windows ($500)
  • Power Locks ($400)
  • 4G Hotspot ($400)
  • LED headlights ($500)
  • Pre Collision Emergency Braking ($500)
  • Air conditioning ($1,000)
Roughly over $6500 in options in years past. That gives a base price of $13,500 if it was a regualr cab base truck. Going into the wayback machine, that would be about the same as a base "mini truck" would have been in 1988, $6,000. This doesn't include other options that I might have missed.

Last edited by a moderator:

James

Out There
Instructor
So, is it tiny inside? Hard to tell from his sped up ramblings.
The 2.0l twin scroll turbo is a nice engine. It doesn’t get 25mpg in an Escape though. Maybe if highway and staying under 65.
We did have a turbo blow around 50k in the preceding version. Another still going at 120k

-Electric windows/locks
Are there cars with roll up windows these days? I always wanted a car with a drivers roll up in case of plunging into water

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I think the small block Vega was more fun in the imagination than in reality....

We built three of them in shop class over two years. The teacher was a drag racer with the sweetest '55 Chevy 'street legal' drag car. That thing had a two footed clutch!
The small block Vega's that just stuffed in the engine were indeed short lived crap, but done right with ALL the required pieces were great fun to drive.
Even with a limited slip out back traction was lacking (but fun!). My favorite had a bored over 327 (331) w/4sd, 3:70 gears and limited slip. Yellow eggcrate fastback. If I remember correctly it wound up in a telephone pole within the year.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I haven't been following all the drama with the release of the Bronco but I suspect they are running in to the same issues with them as they are with Super Duty pickups.

These are sitting at Kentucky Speedway waiting to be completed. I'm hoping a flooded market results in deep discounts so I can upgrade my 2016 F350 to a 2021 F450.
Super Duty.jpg
Super Duty 2.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't been following all the drama with the release of the Bronco but I suspect they are running in to the same issues with them as they are with Super Duty pickups.

These are sitting at Kentucky Speedway waiting to be completed. I'm hoping a flooded market results in deep discounts so I can upgrade my 2016 F350 to a 2021 F450.
View attachment 135507 View attachment 135508
Wow. Just wow. Guessing they're waiting on chips?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Around 1980, my new bride and I were living in Boston’s Back Bay. We left the city every weekend, and a lot of midweek. I had to have car for business. Not to drive around customers….but to get to appointments normally within an hour. My wife did not need her car. We had two parking spaces…a rarity.

It was also at the height of Boston being the car theft capital of the USA. Or….of cars being stripped. My beloved 1973 BMW 2002tii was broken into twice. My wife’s Scirocco was broken into twice to steal the radio.

So after my second trashing, I spoke to my dad, and he was all good with my keeping both of those cars {in addition to two others} out at their home. They had a barn that my dad restored for cars….

When out there, I mentioned that I now needed to find a real piece of crap to keep in the city. He chuckled and told me that our 85 year old friend had asked Dad to help her get rid of her car.

1972 Maverick, faded metallic green, torn black and white checked interior. And….befitting an 85 year old…..even one who lived in the country….dents and “hits” on the F&R bumpers, and on all four corners. Dad added….."but it really runs like a top.” 250 cubic inch six. Probably struggled to make 100 hp.

We went over to see Miss Winnie, and $100 later she was delighted that her car would have a new life in Boston. About 3 days later, it was in the city.

The thing was PERFECT. Had an AM radio. I would leave it parked, unlocked, in my space. Glove box open….and empty. I did not sweat a thing. About 18 months later, I went out and it was missing! Effing stolen! The Boston cops found it with a cut hockey stick in place to pin the accelerator, have been driven head on into a concrete wall in Southie, where after the crash, either they set it on fire….or it caught fire. Everything in front of the back seats burned to a crisp!

We were moving out of the city about a month later. So no need to search for another.

The thing was a very useful piece of relative junk. About 5-6 years earlier, 3 of my four college roommates had Vega’s. All that flat brown mustard color. And even better, we all had a GF……and three of the five GF’s had brand new Pacer’s. Two in that classic purple color.

Yeah….this truck looks quite interesting. Hope Ford does well with it. I really don’t know about recycling the Maverick name, though.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
If I remember correctly it wound up in a telephone pole within the year.
The fate of many I suspect.
Wasn’t the Capri the sensible Maverick/Vega ?

The Boston cops found her with a cut hockey stick in place to pin the accelerator, have been driven head on into a concrete wall in Southie, where after the crash, either they set her on fire….or she caught fire. Everything in front of the back seats burned to a crisp!
Hah, we forget the random fun aspect of car theft.
You might have been better off that it was totaled. In the late 90’s I had a pos Dodge Omni stolen off the street in Brooklyn. I think with that car I’d even stopped using the Club, not that worked all that well. I figured who would steal it?
Well it did get stolen, right across from my apartment. It was a manual shift, but young thieves could still drive stick at that time. I figured it was a training/sport theft.

The cops said I couldn’t report it stolen until I showed the title. That took a couple days to find. I heard nothing for a month, figured it was gone for good. About then the insurance company called, not the cops, saying the car had been found. Then the fun began.

I couldn’t just go pick it up. I had to go pay the Sheriff down across from City Hall in Manhattan. That was like $250, for the privilege of being a crime victim. After that, there might have been another step, I forget. I had multiple car retrievals involving the Marshall in those years. Don’t pay two tickets, after a month your car is on the wanted list, and tow trucks drive around punching in license plates. That's how my stolen car was found on the street.

Meanwhile, while finding the title and paying the Sheriff, as I would find out soon, the car is accruing a $15/day charge for storage at the tow yard. At the tow yard, I had to pay the towing fee, plus the storage. Freakin’ racket. It could’ve been in there a month if the insurance company didn’t call.
All in all, it was a bit over $500, just to get the stolen car back.
I don't know, but it wouldn’t surprise me a bit if I’d said “I don’t want it”, they’d charge all the fees, plus storage till sold, and deduct the pittance they’d get at auction.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The shortcoming (pun intended) the Maverick for a skier is how do we transport our skis because other than a few here, a four and a half foot bed even skis diagonal in very limiting. Rails and box on the roof? A cap on the bed and a box on the cap?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The shortcoming (pun intended) the Maverick for a skier is how do we transport our skis because other than a few here, a four and a half foot bed even skis diagonal in very limiting. Rails and box on the roof? A cap on the bed and a box on the cap?
Four seats is great but where do you put four people AND four heated boot bags? Someone will have to ride in the back!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
It would be nice if it had a passthrough like the Avalanche, even if it was just a small center section.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This car is a fantastic advance. Good mileage, fits in parking spaces and can work when needed. Kudos to Ford. Reminds me of the old Ranger - in its time the best selling vehicle, because it filled so many needs!

Every car has limitations. So the skis hang out the back a bit. So you can't take 5 passengers and have the boot bags in the cab. But if needed, you can take 5 people and their equipment which is a lot better than most cars. And not having the broken old toilet in the space with you is priceless!

I do want AWD with the hybrid, that's when I break out the checkbook.

I may be a bit prejudiced in favor of small trucks:
custom Ford Focus truck.jpg

Eric

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Four seats is great but where do you put four people AND four heated boot bags? Someone will have to ride in the back!
Any that’s why we have the Yukon XL.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Any that’s why we have the Yukon XL.
You could buy 2-3 Mavericks for the cost of your Yukon, then you'd have plenty of space for 4 people and their gear, you'd probably use about the same about of fuel as well..:huh:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You could buy 2-3 Mavericks for the cost of your Yukon, then you'd have plenty of space for 4 people and their gear, you'd probably use about the same about of fuel as well..:huh:
Two pretty basic ones.

Sponsor

Staff online