• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Völkl Deacon 72 Master

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
the difference is definetly notable and there, 76 feels like a wide cheater GS, 72 feels like.. an SL you can ski all day, with that said, GF loves to ski her 165 FIS SL all day, I just cannot be botherd and like the slightly larger radius

72 is quite fun going slow, 40kmh , 76 likes to go faster , ref radius

get both checked out, base grinded and tuned!

You will have some fun

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
the difference is definetly notable and there, 76 feels like a wide cheater GS, 72 feels like.. an SL you can ski all day, with that said, GF loves to ski her 165 FIS SL all day, I just cannot be botherd and like the slightly larger radius

72 is quite fun going slow, 40kmh , 76 likes to go faster , ref radius

get both checked out, base grinded and tuned!

You will have some fun
And the pink here really stands out.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What tune did you put on the 72s? I'm still running factory tune.
87/0.5

.. but honestly 88/1 or 88/0.75 would have been fine and its going on them next, personal preferense. the trouble with stock tune was, uneven bases, round edges, variabele edge tune, variable base tune. so any proper tune = improvement

I like 88's on what I dont use for gates, gf likes 87 on EVERYTHING ;)

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Ditto. Through the years I have come to prefer 87/0.5 on everything I ski. And have been (slowly) propagating that setup throughout the quiver.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
are you a lighter skier? been gathering data, but for freeskiing a lot of us heavier boys just seem to prefer the 88 vs 87, lighter just loves that 87.

for race skis, of course I want 87, but freeskiing lots of meters a day on a 87 with a raceplate in with variable conditions? meh especially in chalky "too good" conditions I find the 87 to be to grippy and just beeing able to do a skid from a carve can be very demanding.

so for me I tend to keep 87 for actual race skis, and 88 for not a raceski, but having a raceplate. ironicly for some wider "softer" freeskies again I will like the 87 since they dont have a raceplate, and are less torsionally rigid

Nobody

Skier
...75 Kg (given or taken 1 kg)...skiing on hard snow (man made or mixed up natural and man made) most of the time.
My freeride skis should be set at 88...but I haven't used them in quite a lot of time, since before covid hit, so...will have to check.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
thats fairlight light vs my 113KG, it seems around 95-100kg and above people start preffering less edge angle, my GF is 68KG, and she will absolutly be sad if she doesnt get her 87!, and has 0 issues breaking free and do a slash, as you need to when just skiiing with other peope on the mountain

we can rule out uneven bases or edges etc, this happend regardless across multiple skis and regrind of base, the common denominator was the snow conditions beeing "too good", I could even do a DULL 87, and it would be locked in, in thoose snow conditions.

anyone able to do the math on a 68-70mm ski with a raceplate at say 45 degrees with a 75KG vs 115KG person? and how it translates to edgeforce/pressure?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I'm a lighter guy. I prefer 87 degree side, 0.5 base for hard snow arc-2-arc pure carved turns (my favourite thing to do on snow). The exception is my antique SGs, which came with a 0.5 base and 2 side, and seem to work well that way (so much better than 2 side 1 base I got talked into trying so I would not have to wait a week for my skis); I haven't tried these skis with 87 degree side, and due to potential consequences of switching it up from what is ingrained in me, I ain't gonna fix what ain't broke.

I prefer 88 degree side, 1 degree base for traditional short radius turns, which is how I ski moguls these days. Skiing moguls is much more fun these days, due to both equipment and technique. I don't get to ski moguls much because the moguls at my local hill are in a run with exposed granite most days. They named the run "The Glades", but I call it "The Rock Garden". I like ALL my skis.

Soft snow - I don't care.

Last edited:

dcoral

Putting on skis
Skier
Since the Deacon 72 Master has some tip and tail rocker, any thoughts on the equivalent length feel if it were a traditional camber ski? In other words do you think the 173 would feel like a traditional camber 163 length because of the tip and tail rocker?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do you think this is a Volkl quality control issue, or they do a variable tune in an attempt to be innovative with the design?
shit QC

volkl is hit miss, stockli this year and last was very good, horrible before that etc.. so they all got it

the camber isn't that noticable for sk length, its more for when its a bit skied out. it feels like a 173, the 178 feels like a 178, but they are a friendly 173/178

Echopraxia

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Improving solid intermediate skier here. 188cm, 88kg. Currently ski a set of 2022 Deacon 80 in 177.
Store near me has the master 72 in 178 on sale.
Looking for something more racy and nimble but unsure if the overlap from my current skis makes it worth it for my abilities. Any thoughts on this from current users?
Thanks!

Nobody

Skier
I do not deem there is much of an overlap between the Deacon 80 and the Deacon 72 Master. Totally different ski (and internal structure) and destination of use. Sure, there's people here where I ski, I discovered to my surprise, that consider a Deacon 76 (non Master) in 176 a powder ski (and my old Hot Rod 78mmwide a "hugely wide ski")...go figure.
If you think they are overlapping for your needs, I would as I am trying to do, though, but this is me not you, look for a 72 waisted Master in 172 cm...that would make it almost an "SL" ski...
I also like Anders_Nor suggestion, get a Deacon 84 then, in place of the Deacon 80 so to widen even more the divide.

Paul Frede

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
Improving solid intermediate skier here. 188cm, 88kg. Currently ski a set of 2022 Deacon 80 in 177.
Store near me has the master 72 in 178 on sale.
Looking for something more racy and nimble but unsure if the overlap from my current skis makes it worth it for my abilities. Any thoughts on this from current users?
Thanks!
I wouldn’t put an intermediate on any of the Deacon Masters due to what @Philpug called the Mach Schnell speed at which they like to operate. In the Volkl line the Racetiger SC or RC would be way more appropriate for an improving intermediate.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Looking hard at this ski, but don’t like the lengths…..

which size would ya go for if you were me?

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking hard at this ski, but don’t like the lengths…..

which size would ya go for if you were me?
Was thinking the same thing for next winter….winter sucked so bad this year…thinking it’s gonna continue to trend that way…I need a coral reef ski.

23’ Kendo will become my “EC powder ski”…lol.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
The sizing is terrible… wish it was 175 / 182.

I recently saw a massive human w great skill skiing the 178 & it made me pause.

I’m looking for a moderate speed, Euro carve, hip dragging tool.

Sponsor