• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Völkl Deacon 72 Master

Skitard

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Very late to party, in fact into 23/24 season. I have a Laser SX in 165 or Deacon Master 72 in 168 to pick from. I am 170cm in height and 80kg. Will they ski about the same in those lengths? Both skis are about the same price in the deals.

Skitard

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I’ve gone with the Stockli Laser SX in 165 over the Master 72 in 168. Both look like awesome skis in reviews.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Today was a perfect day for my Master 178s - good early season coverage and softish groomers on a reasonably warm day.

If it was firmer, I probably would have been on my WRT Pros, but with the snow a little softer and cut up in the afternoon with the occasional set of small bumps, the Masters felt like the perfect tool. A hero ski for hero snow. Much of the capability of the WRT Pros but less demanding and with a hair of rocker, super fun to ski in today’s conditions.

Last edited:

Asterino

Putting on skis
Skier
Looking to bite on a 72 master or normal version in 173 length to replace my dynastar speedzone 14 (the one with the raceplate). This will be my easy going ski that I take out if I'm skiing short turns in steeper terrain on piste, or when the pistes are cut up, or when I just want to bimble around with my 5 y old son (my other in the quiver is the Fischer the Curv in 1m83, which is more hands on for me, and more mach speed GS turns). I'm quite a big guy 6"3 245 lbs. Advanced intermediate (carv IQ around 135-140 in reds and blues and 125 on blacks).

Can get a good deal on the masters (same price with the plate and binding as a regular deacon 72), but won't be able to test ski them (the regular deacons yes). So wondering if I should bite or keep off, because too hands on for my needs?

Asterino

Putting on skis
Skier
Just as a quick follow up ;-). This weekend I tested the Deacon 72 master (with the Xcomp 16 bindings in 1m73). First of all the circumstances were not ideal for these kind of ski's. Meaning it's been quite dry here in the dolomites, that's to say until last friday, when it started dumping (rain until 1000m/3000ft, above snow), and it didn't stop until Sunday afternoon. So the light rocker could come in handy.

This is the dolomites so they groom the pistes like mad, but they also consider the off piste guys and the pow guys, so when it dumps they don't groom the whole piste but just a 3rd of it, leaving the rest fresh! The circumstances on my saturday morning run were 40-50cm of fresh on the non prepped pistes and then hard pack with a 10-15cm on the "prepped" pistes that turned in to cut up chop after a couple of hours.

Standing in the parking lot in Alleghe to ski the Civetta area, I really considered taking out my wider skis, but I said what the hell, I'm here to test these boys! So the deacons it was! If they work in these conditions for me (bad vis, deeper snow + chopped up) they probably will do ok on the many blue sky days we get here.

And they did! On unprepped pistes with knee high snow I needed to keep my attention (crashed out a couple of times, mainly to do with my less stellar knowledge and experience skiing deeper snow), but loads of fun. Prepped pistes with a fresh layer (10-15 cm) of snow, even more fun, even some light carving was possible. Chopped up connecting pistes with steeper sections, no prob, short turns, end of turn pushing the heels gave loads of energy back (even in soft conditions).

Ski's shorter than length (as stated) but still very stable in long turns on cut up chopped pistes.

Skied them on Sunday morning again (even more snow) with my 4 (almost 5) year old son. It's his first real experience in deep (for him IT IS DEEP) snow, so the going was quite slow, and even at those speeds they were very very gentle, slipping no problem.

This ski demands a follow up in hard pack conditions! Next weekend I'm off again for 2 days, and with a week of sunny skies and cold temps it should be ideal next weekend for some carving long and short turns.

Comparing (so far) with the speedzone 14 (R22 raceplate, in 174), deacon is a bit easier to ski, also a bit more leaning towards short turns than the MT dynastar, but it gives loads of energy back and is more stable than the dynastar. The energy part could be new ski vs slightly older ski (80 ski days on the dynastar).

I'll report back after some hard pack days.

Thanks again for the advice. So far it seems a very very good ski that I'm connecting with.

Below some pics of the proceeds (only a crashed out pic of the ski's but you know them ;-) ) My son in any case liked the pink and was telling me "NEW SKI'S???? Did you tell mommy!!!" ;-)

And a video of a good local guy called Igor Tavella on the area when it's not white out!

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-06 à 12.18.29_6a8938a8.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-06 à 12.18.29_69deb95a.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-07 à 16.14.01_d166664f.jpg

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
the factory tune on theese skis are absolutely rubbish and non existant! most seem to come railed as well. sadly Ive seen this on sevral pairs. Ski is superb, the volkl ski tune machine is utter rubbish.

get it tuned!

I set mine up 87/0.5 (since it has so much rocker) for a full camber I would have gone 0.75 or 1.0

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
the base bevels were so variable, you + railed so you want a basegrind/basebevel set, not just hit side edges

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Mine were flat but tips / tails had a ton of sidewall over hang & the consistency of the edge was subpar - still need work.

Sponsor