• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 New England Gathering Discussion (March 24 - 26, Sugarloaf / Saddleback)

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI , I just purchased a ticket for Sunday 3/26 For $29 with a senior discount , $39 for you youngsters.
That's a deal.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Edit: Cheapskates should consider The Maine Roadhouse in Stratton. No man's land between Saddleback and Sugarloaf. I stayed there once on a VERY uncrowded weeknight and it was fine. That was under a previous regime however, so as of now I'm not sure. As with many local properties, it often doesn't pay to rely on the internet for your business communications. A phone call is usually a better bet, even if it's not your preference.

Hope this helps.
Vince and I stayed at the Maine Roadhouse back in March 2012 under the old regime. It was cheap and somewhat dumpy, but had a lot of potential. It's kind of a good location for visiting both Saddleback and Sugarloaf as it's on the road in between both. It went out of business for several years. It looks nice in photo below from the link Tony provided. The larger building on left had a large bunkroom on the upper level that we stayed in. The lower level was a party room that had a piano in it. The lower floor in center section of photo has a large community kitchen/dining room. The two story building on right had private and semiprivate rooms in it, which I didn't get a good look at.
maine roadhouse.jpg

Apparently it reopened under new management in 2021 and has been renovated. I'm not sure what current layout is, but this link says bunks are $35 per night and has contact details: https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail/stratton-area-hostel-set-to-reopen/
I think there was only two other people staying there during my March 2012 visit. I wouldn't expect it to be busy in late March 2023 either.

I won't make this gathering, but if anyone is on the fence and hasn't skied Saddleback before, I can tell you Saddleback is a really beautiful ski area. IMHO, it ranks up there with Wildcat and Le Massif as the top 3 prettiest ski areas I've seen in eastern North America. Super scenic lake views and the trails have a lot of character. The mtn naturally catches and retains snow very well too. Sugarloaf ain't bad either ;)
Photo from March 2012:
vince saddleback mar 2012.jpg

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Has to be used the same day.
So far, all their deals are more $ than just buying for late March?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Has to be used the same day.
So far, all their deals are more $ than just buying for late March?
Yeah, the Brad J approach seems by far the most straightforward. I wouldn't assume that the advance price for those specific days will remain static as time marches on, though. The obvious down side of locking into dates is that ... well ... weather.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've made a provisional reservation for a group dinner on Saturday at a local restaurant. If you want in, please put your name on this thread. Limit 12.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend who lives in Rangeley shared this picture yesterday.
View attachment 186446
The only time I’ve seen a moose in the wild was last season driving from Saddleback back to Sunday River. I was happy it was on the side of the road and not crossing. I was too startled to think about pulling over somewhere safe to get a picture unfortunately.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
We can always tell whether deer at a crossing are jumpy, sproinky, frolicsome, tangle footed or just stupid looking - 'coz the road signs tell us.

How about moose - are the local ones lumbering or charging? What do the signs say?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How about moose - are the local ones lumbering or charging? What do the signs say?
Well, the thing with moose is that even when they're lumbering, if they're lumbering in your direction, you'd best consider it charging.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For those who might have missed it, Saddleback and Sugarloaf ended up with a net gain in coverage out of this mess of a storm. :thumb: We'll take what we can get. (Once again bare ground here near the coast, after last night's steady rain.)

The Loaf reported a foot before the rain. Saddleback reported 6" sometime later. Headed back below freezing tonight.

James

Out There
Instructor
For those who might have missed it, Saddleback and Sugarloaf ended up with a net gain in coverage out of this mess of a storm. :thumb: We'll take what we can get. (Once again bare ground here near the coast, after last night's steady rain.)

The Loaf reported a foot before the rain. Saddleback reported 6" sometime later. Headed back below freezing tonight.
How’s the ice gravel?
We reached new lows today in one spot. The gravel was huge, largely invisible till you were on it.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How’s the ice gravel?
We reached new lows today in one spot. The gravel was huge, largely invisible till you were on it.
Dunno. Not there. A friend reported it was very busy. May head up Monday.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January