• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Am I crazy for wanting a shell jacket without any insulation for northeast US skiing?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like @Paul Lutes and I are the only ones who are not in the shell camp. I have a lightly insulated jacket, and usually ski with just a base layer and the jacket. If it is particularly cold I add a vest. In spring I wear a windbreaker instead.

The vents on a jacket work a lot better when there is no mid-layer to block air flow.

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks like @Paul Lutes and I are the only ones who are not in the shell camp. I have a lightly insulated jacket, and usually ski with just a base layer and the jacket. If it is particularly cold I add a vest. In spring I wear a windbreaker instead.

The vents on a jacket work a lot better when there is no mid-layer to block air flow.
Much less of a faff when sitting in a cafe for Bombardino too.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like to ski in a puffy most of the time. Hard shell over puffy on stormy days.
Don't ski much in the NE anymore. Stuck here for a while this winter. There were few days I wanted one of my insulated jackets. Unfortunately, they are all in the city.

Wear whatever makes you comfortable.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
I have shell jackets and insulated. I haven't worn the insulated jackets in years. Always choose the shell plus a puffy and base layer. Which puffy depends on the weather. Actually just gave away 2 barely used insulated jackets, both waterproof, etc.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Shell jackets FTW.

One other point on top of everything said so far is that if you sweat a lot during skiing, it is much less PITA to wash the baselayers/midlayers only and not the insulated jacket.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I'm all for Shell too. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame last year but due to covid the ceremony was postponed until this year. Donnie Shell, great strong safety for the first Pittsburgh Steelers dynasty.

I also favor waterproof/breathable shell jackets. I have a heavy insulated winter jacket for street use only.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm looking at my first jacket purchase in over a decade.

I see all the rage now is shell jackets. I read a ton about not bothering with any kind of insulation and just use layers instead, that way you're comfortable with all those mild and warm weather days.

...but I ski almost exclusively in the US northeast and eastern canada. lol "warm weather days" what's that?

Is the northeast US / eastern Canada climate an exception to the shell rule that warrants looking at jackets with insulation?

Yes, you are loco.

Kidding aside if its say below 15ºF or so I like an insulated jacket for the resort, specially if its windy. My go to jacket for those conditions is this one: https://poshmark.com/listing/Outdoor-Research-womens-stormbound-jacket-5fd5025ea4de41566cd7dd64?l_con=PREOWNED/USED&utm_source=gdm_unpaid I have one in orange and its about 6 years old and still looks like new since I dont use it every ski session.

I mostly use shell jackets with mid layer (s) but when it is really cold this jacket rules since wearing a down or synthetic insulated jacket under a shell can make me a bit sweaty. I prefer very breathable mid-layers for that reason.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier

My Obermeyer ski jackets are insulated, but I need XLT. I usually wear a moisture wicking turtleneck base layers and fleece midlayers so not heavy or bulky at all. I've been known to add a down vest underneath on a really cold day, but then I'm a warm-blooded Texan displaced to the icy East Coast! I've not noticed these retarding my ability to ski.:rolleyes:

My pants are shells. I wear some polypro leggings underneath and that's enough even on cold days in the NE since my core is warm. I guess shells sound fine, but if you always are combining with an insulated midlayer, I just don't see the point in cold NE. I have old non-ski shell jackets that I can pull out if needed.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It depends, of course. You just have to know yourself. If you have to pick one, sure, a shell is good.

If you tend to run cold, ski efficiently, go to cold mountains, and are more of a "waiter" than a "chaser" with your friends, you might find an insulated parka worth having. I do. On a cold day in Maine I need like seven layers to be warm enough in a shell.

tazdevl

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a north face futurelight shell over a Patagonia nano puff and 250 weight base layer. Skied -10F Colorado front range days, that’s not including the windchill.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Insulated jacket for me. I add layers when it gets cold. It gets cold in Sudbury.
I've worn a North Face shell (maybe not the best one they make). Yes it's true, it keeps the wind and rain out, and allows you to adjust how many layers and how warm a fleece to wear, but for me, I can't stand all those layers bunching up my armpits.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Im shell jackets and pants all the way. Much easier to adjust to the temps for the day.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I live in northern MN, so pretty cold here too, and not dry and sunny cold either..
There are still plenty of warm ski days between Spring and global warming...

As others said an uninsulated shell can work fine, in cold weather just as well as in warm weather. My winter jacket is basically shell+baselayer warmth. I do not have any insulated ski jackets. My kids do though, and they love them.

That said, a well made, lightly insulated shell is a bit more comfortable and easier to use. Less layers and zippers etc, easier to grab and go.

There is no best option, both have pros and cons.

So my vote is:
first purchase: insulated shell, make sure it is roomy under the armpits, as @François Pugh mentioned, and get appropriate mid layers. (Including a vest for that reason).

Second purchase: insulated jacket. In that case, it doesn’t have to be waterpoof, but I think most are anyway. It better be super well made: patterning, fit, features, notions, everything must be spot on, otherwise you lose the one benefit of comfort and convenience.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Au contraire, vents on a windproof shell work great, combined with very air permeable layers underneath. Instead of going from complete ‘sauna’ to ‘jumping in the freezing lake’, you get a nice middle ground by letting the breeze blow in, but still lightly slowing down the cooling compared to just baselayer.

So I would actually count venting as a plus for uninsulated shells.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'll provide the alternate perspective. I skied using the shell plus midlayers game for many years. I finally got sick of dealing with the challenges of getting all the different sizing right so that the layers wouldn't bunch, had enough room for sufficient air trapping, and then faffing with putting everything on and off. It just wasn't the "easy button" I really wanted. Then I discovered that the really high-end insulated jackets are awesome. They breath and insulate really well and allow me to just use one thin breathable mid-layer for almost all weather conditions. I used to have to do more planning to figure out exactly what layers I would need on any given day. Now I barely give it a thought as I have multiple jackets of varying insulation levels. I figured out which jacket works best for each range of air temps and I just need to know what the high temp for the day will be and off I go.

The jackets I'm talking about are in the $600-$1200 retail level. There are some really great options if you're willing to spend the money.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I used to have to do more planning to figure out exactly what layers I would need on any given day. Now I barely give it a thought as I have multiple jackets of varying insulation levels. I figured out which jacket works best for each range of air temps and I just need to know what the high temp for the day will be and off I go.

Not sure what the difference is with wearing a shell and owning a bunch of different middle layers, again once you figure out their temperature range. And I only need one expensive shell. Midlayers tend to be cheaper.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Au contraire, vents on a windproof shell work great, combined with very air permeable layers underneath.

I'll provide the alternate perspective. I skied using the shell plus midlayers game for many years. I finally got sick of dealing with the challenges of getting all the different sizing right so that the layers wouldn't bunch, had enough room for sufficient air trapping, and then faffing with putting everything on and off. It just wasn't the "easy button" I really wanted. Then I discovered that the really high-end insulated jackets are awesome. They breath and insulate really well and allow me to just use one thin breathable mid-layer for almost all weather conditions.

I am in the fortunate camp of agreeing with all of you - if we accept the premise that there are a sizable set of midlayers that are just crap at breathability.

Sponsor