• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The question is can you pull out of the heel about the same with each foot?
I do not recommend deliberately trying to pull out of the binding. It is an invitation to injury if the binding is in fact incorrectly set. That's what ski shops' calibrators are for: verifying the proper operation of the binding.
Thank you @Doug Briggs, a certified binding tech.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
This is how the Vermont Calibrator works. Not great videos for showing its function, but you twist the boot left and right to test lateral release, and pull forward to test up release. When I'm in the shop next, I'll shoot videos of more traditional bindings being tested.

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
@Doug Briggs thank you for the explanation. It definitely makes sense that bindings could be off some based on things like the individual springs. I’m concerned that it sounds like being 1 DIN off from the others doesn’t sound common. Am I getting the wrong impression here that it being 1 off is a concern?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Doug Briggs thank you for the explanation. It definitely makes sense that bindings could be off some based on things like the individual springs. I’m concerned that it sounds like being 1 DIN off from the others doesn’t sound common. Am I getting the wrong impression here that it being 1 off is a concern?

Off by 1 is not unusual.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Thank you @Doug Briggs, a certified binding tech.
The shop had already tested them and said they were correct, even though one heel was a higher setting. The only risk would be if the certified tech made a mistake or if the Vermont testing tool was out of calibration.
But I am just a retired Certified Tech.

Uncle-A

Skier
This is how the Vermont Calibrator works. Not great videos for showing its function, but you twist the boot left and right to test lateral release, and pull forward to test up release. When I'm in the shop next, I'll shoot videos of more traditional bindings being tested.

Testing 40 year old Spademan bindings on your Hexcel skis, how much were they off?

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
Confirmation that this is not out of the ordinary or reason for concern is really helpful. I guess this is the reason to have them tested over just going by the DIN on the bindings. Thank you all again for the information. Love the site and how helpful people here seem to be.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The shop had already tested them and said they were correct, even though one heel was a higher setting. The only risk would be if the certified tech made a mistake or if the Vermont testing tool was out of calibration.
But trying to twist out or trying to release manually, no one can discern the difference in one setting.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The risk would be unnecessary application of stress to the body, particularly the knees. Do you know the Skier Type of the person that asked the question? If Type III, that's a lot of force to generate from twisting. When a ski comes off while skiing, there are generally outside forces, not trying to twist on purpose.

I was offering my opinion as a skier. I would not try to twist out of my bindings that are set for a Skier Type II and calibrated for my details.

Testing 40 year old Spademan bindings on your Hexcel skis, how much were they off?
I was able to adjust them to provide a reliable release in the correct range. I skied them with with confidence.

Uncle-A

Skier
The risk would be unnecessary application of stress to the body, particularly the knees. Do you know the Skier Type of the person that asked the question? If Type III, that's a lot of force to generate from twisting. When a ski comes off while skiing, there are generally outside forces, not trying to twist on purpose.

I was offering my opinion as a skier. I would not try to twist out of my bindings that are set for a Skier Type II and calibrated for my details.

I was able to adjust them to provide a reliable release in the correct range. I skied them with with confidence.
I thought we were only talking about the heel and I did not talk about twisting the toe, just pulling the heel out.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I thought we were only talking about the heel and I did not talk about twisting the toe, just pulling the heel out.
Maybe so, but testing either method of release using your own limb exposes you to the potential for injury.

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
Here’s the test results using a Wintersteiger Safetronic.
91DAFFE0-666F-4B5B-9227-4EE4A87396A2.jpeg

Uncle-A

Skier
But trying to twist out or trying to release manually, no one can discern the difference in one setting.
Even if it is one setting too high? That is a risk.

Uncle-A

Skier
Maybe so, but testing either method of release using your own limb exposes you to the potential for injury.
So the correct setting "exposes you to the potential for injury" isn't that what the binding is supposed to prevent "injury"?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So the correct setting "exposes you to the potential for injury" isn't that what the binding is supposed to prevent "injury"?
This is why there is devices designed to test bindings to make sure they are functioning within tolerances. The days of putting the skis on a carpet and twisting out or jerking forward are the reason people like Carl Ettlinger put their life work into setting these standards and there are ISO and DIN standards.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Here’s the test results using a Wintersteiger Safetronic.
View attachment 182492
Thanks for posting the report. It shows that the bindings achieved the desired release values at the indicator values in the far right column. If these were my skis, I'd ski them with confidence.

As important as the calibrator's test results are, so is keeping your boots and bindings free of ice and snow, using boot protectors to prevent the soles from being worn and/or damaged by walking on pavement. Boot protectors also reduce the chance of grit embedding in your boot soles. Grit will increase friction in the boot/binding system leading to less reliable releases.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for posting the report. It shows that the bindings achieved the desired release values at the indicator values in the far right column.
Just out of curiosity, does the report tell you how far off the indicator values were from the actual level?

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As important as the calibrator's test results are, so is keeping your boots and bindings free of ice and snow, using boot protectors to prevent the soles from being worn and/or damaged by walking on pavement. Boot protectors also reduce the chance of grit embedding in your boot soles. Grit will increase friction in the boot/binding system leading to less reliable releases.

In other words, don't use your boots as boots. It's too bad the industry can't grow beyond this standard. An interface surface that needs to be clean and smooth to operate is also the same surface you scrap across the parking lot.

Uncle-A

Skier
Do you run your car into a wall to test your seat belt and airbag system?
Really. Do you rip a binding screw out of a ski to see if the adhesive you put in the screw hole holds well? Of course not but did the Honda owners get a recall on their airbags? Yes.

Sponsor

Staff online