• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Attack 13 GW verse Attack 14 GW. Which are heavier, what are the adjustment ranges, difference in stand height and ramp angle, materials, and anything else we should know?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Attack 13 GW verse Attack 14 GW. Which are heavier, what are the adjustment ranges, difference in stand height and ramp angle, materials, and anything else we should know?
Same binding.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are Marker Schizos still a thing? Does anyone else make a comparably functional binding or do I need to go full demo to get a track to play with mount points these days?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are Marker Schizos still a thing? Does anyone else make a comparably functional binding or do I need to go full demo to get a track to play with mount points these days?
They are not and remember paying with mount points with a demo binding also means (in most cases) that you are doing with with a different stand height which makes as much of a difference fore/aft.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Grip(e)Walk V4…… got new boots today. The profile of the soles are different again from prior (same boot- 4th version for myself). Kinda a pita, but my question is will bindings like the Strive & Z13 GW accommodate all? I’ll carry a screwdriver for my STH2 WTRs.

Secondly, what’s out there for GW on Tyrolia plates? Z13 GW from Fischer is on my radar for poaching wife’s race skis & a SL ski. Are their similar Head/Elan… entries??

TIA!

Micah Roberts

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have a Pivot question. I have a minty set of Rossi 155’s I am looking to update to GW compatibility, I got a set of new pedestals with GW afd’s and thought it wound be easiest to just swap then as a unit into the old toes. There are small differences in the thickness of the pedestal bases that would necessitate some trimming of the afd plate I was looking to avoid.

when I went to re-assemble them they bound up. The new pedestal posts are wider than the old ones towards the bottom by about .020”. It is just enough to prevent them from rotating freely. I don’t recall reading anywhere that there had been any changes to the toes over the years. Has anyone else seen this?

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Pivot question. I have a minty set of Rossi 155’s I am looking to update to GW compatibility, I got a set of new pedestals with GW afd’s and thought it wound be easiest to just swap then as a unit into the old toes. There are small differences in the thickness of the pedestal bases that would necessitate some trimming of the afd plate I was looking to avoid.

when I went to re-assemble them they bound up. The new pedestal posts are wider than the old ones towards the bottom by about .020”. It is just enough to prevent them from rotating freely. I don’t recall reading anywhere that there had been any changes to the toes over the years. Has anyone else seen this?
Pictures?

Micah Roberts

Skier
Pictures?
D2AA2322-5217-4EF1-B002-132BBF74CDBA.jpeg
2D92CEBA-A612-44A9-83AA-6DD2853FA352.jpeg

Attachments

• B88ABE3F-5891-4715-A39C-8A5183DE949E.jpeg
    B88ABE3F-5891-4715-A39C-8A5183DE949E.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 0

Micah Roberts

Skier
Ah, I see. You shouldn't need to disassemble the binding. The new AFD bed should clip onto the old pedestal.

Did the new AFD come with a metal pedestal? I haven't seen that before.
I believe these were take-offs from cast conversions. The new AFD beds will require some tweaks to fit and I was hoping to not have to mess with that and and the potential AFD height issues I have heard that can result. Surprised to see there is a difference in the posts

edit: I measured and the pedestal bases are different thicknesses old vs new which will put the AFD too low with respect to the toe if I put the old pedestals on the new AFD beds.

Last edited:

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bump! I have a question about NX7 on Dynastar Team Comp JR (2020). I'm looking at this pair of skis for my daughter who is in U8 this year. The current binding is mounted on BSL240. Her BSL is 250mm. Are the bindings adjustable to that or am I looking at a remount?

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
I picked up some new skies, bindings, and boots this summer and I took them to my local shop for release testing. My two toe releases and one heal release were all set to a DIN of 6.5. The other heal release had to be set to a DIN of 7.5 for it to have the same tested force. Is that normal or should I be concerned?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I picked up some new skies, bindings, and boots this summer and I took them to my local shop for release testing. My two toe releases and one heal release were all set to a DIN of 6.5. The other heal release had to be set to a DIN of 7.5 for it to have the same tested force. Is that normal or should I be concerned?
Not that common but it does happen. The question is can you pull out of the heel about the same with each foot?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you receive the actual release values what it was in Nm? If they were within acceptable range, it is not an issue. it is more important that the Nm is correct that what it shows in the window.

The only thinng I would double check was that the forward pressure in the heels are identical. If you are unsure what to look for, reply with what binding your have and we can give you an idea what to look for.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Did you receive the actual release values what it was in Nm? If they were within acceptable range, it is not an issue. it is more important that the Nm is correct that what it shows in the window.

The only thinng I would double check was that the forward pressure in the heels are identical. If you are unsure what to look for, reply with what binding your have and we can give you an idea what to look for.
Had a shop do the same with my pivots. If I can recall, Toe was set lower than Heel by .5 to 1 din. But it all tested properly!

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
Bindings are Salomon M12 GW integrated. I can call the shop tomorrow and find out what it actually tested to. Thank you all for the help.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The whole purpose of testing is to calibrate the bindings settings using a calibrated tool. In the case of a Vermont Calibrator, the devices used is essentially a torque wrench with an artificial 'foot' and different lever arms to simulate the leg.

The actual number the binding ends up being set to can be higher or lower, to a point, than the initial setting and still be safe. If the value is too far beyond the number that the chart indicates for your height, weight, BSL and skier type, then it indicates that the binding is not performing as intended and should be failed. .5 or 1 higher or lower is not to much in most cases. For higher release settings, an acceptable value could be 2.5 higher or lower than the initial setting. Basically if the binding's setting is beyond two rows on the chart, either up or down, the binding is considered failing.

I do not recommend deliberately trying to pull out of the binding. It is an invitation to injury if the binding is in fact incorrectly set. That's what ski shops' calibrators are for: verifying the proper operation of the binding.

Sponsor

Staff online