• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Broke my bindings, can't replace, need new skis & bindings ASAP

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
*Not sure how I missed this thread. Sorry.

Is it preferable to have GW compatible? Are a lot of boots being made with GW soles now?
Yes, if you need new boots in the next few years you'll be happy if you go with a ski/binding combination that is compatible.

I've not read the entire thread but I did a quick brief of it.

Here is a good option at @SkiEssentials in packages, to fill the hole in your quiver and replace your broken ski.
2021 Fischer Ranger 92 Ti WS Women's Skis w/ Salomon Warden 11 Bindings

Really, there are good skis to replace your Viva, but overall, the skis in your original list are all over the map.
Something in the high 80s low 90s is good if you want an overall ski.
sub 80s if you want a carver to replace the Viva.

The OPs skis with system bindings are close to 10 years old.
That ski is anywhere from 10 to 12 years old.

Sure, they don't make them anymore, but that's a SkiTalk testers choice ski for $199.

I love love love that ski.
It is one of the brands that may need a full tune out of the box.
Great option!!

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah if you get that Liberty, budget in a base grind from the start. Don’t even just “go ski it” first. That era was notorious. I spent a while day demoing the unisex version and had to just throw them edge to edge, and fortunately the snow was softish.

Nice ski though.

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
@hollyberry, let us know if you need a crash course on how to mount your own bindings.
NOOOO noooo noo. I am not brave enough to try that myself lol. I'll probably ruin the skis. I'm not even sure I am going to take my skis to the local shop here in Baltimore (Princeton Sports) to be mounted because they did a lousy basic wax & sharpening on my & my husband's skis at the beginning of the season and took forever to do it, too. (About 15 days.) When I went in there to look at skis on Monday after my bindings broke, they sent a teen employee who is a snowboarder, not even a skier, to walk around the shop with me. When I asked him which skis he would recommend for me, he shrugged and said "I dunno. These are pink. Do you like these?" :doh: So they didn't leave the best impression on me!

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
It is still worth it to take your skis to a specialty ski shop that carries Blizzard skis, but just to get you through the rest of the east coast season.

If a piece of the ski binding under normal use snaps off without hitting a tree/rail/another skier,etc, it is a sign of a failing/expiring design/cheap oem. Call ahead to see if they sell Blizzard, then take them in for an inspection and ask for an inspection by a binding/mount tech.

Yes it's a unique binding that just left current list, but you never know if 1) it's just a sister model of another binding with a different name 2) they still have some in the back room 3) could still drill a different binding in some manner.

Bummer: You couldn't pick a worse week to try to buy & mount new skis than the week before MLK with a snowstorm coming. Maybe you'll be able to break out the powder sticks!
I'm planning to go to JFBB this weekend to catch the snow. I've only ever used my powder skis at Jay and at Snowbird/Alta. (They were an absolute impulse buy - $200 for a past year's model overstock- when Jay got more than 3 feet of snow while I was skiing there a few years ago. Most fun glades skiing ever!)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm not even sure I am going to take my skis to the local shop here in Baltimore (Princeton Sports) to be mounted because they did a lousy basic wax & sharpening on my & my husband's skis at the beginning of the season and took forever to do it, too. (About 15 days.) When I went in there to look at skis on Monday after my bindings broke, they sent a teen employee who is a snowboarder, not even a skier, to walk around the shop with me. When I asked him which skis he would recommend for me, he shrugged and said "I dunno. These are pink. Do you like these?" :doh: So they didn't leave the best impression on me!

OK, there are at least 3 shops near Roundtop that will give you a better tune and quicker. And that have new stock to sell. I don't know about Poconos shops, but you say you're going to JFBB so - do you have gear you can use?

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
*Not sure how I missed this thread. Sorry.

Yes, if you need new boots in the next few years you'll be happy if you go with a ski/binding combination that is compatible.

I've not read the entire thread but I did a quick brief of it.

Here is a good option at @SkiEssentials in packages, to fill the hole in your quiver and replace your broken ski.
2021 Fischer Ranger 92 Ti WS Women's Skis w/ Salomon Warden 11 Bindings

Really, there are good skis to replace your Viva, but overall, the skis in your original list are all over the map.
Something in the high 80s low 90s is good if you want an overall ski.
sub 80s if you want a carver to replace the Viva.

That ski is anywhere from 10 to 12 years old.

I love love love that ski.
Great option!!
I ended up buying some new 2021 Nordica Santa Ana 88's from EVO with Marker Squire 11 bindings for about $400 while it was available on Tuesday. I could always return the bindings and get GW compatible, since EVO will not send them mounted. The Santa Ana's seem to be ?sort of? similar to the Fischer Rangers? Hopefully it will end up being a good all-mountain ski. When I have a little more money saved up, I want to buy some really skinny skis to be my devoted carving skis...

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
OK, there are at least 3 shops near Roundtop that will give you a better tune and quicker. And that have new stock to sell. I don't know about Poconos shops, but you say you're going to JFBB so - do you have gear you can use?
I'm going to rent skis for the day from one of the shops up there. My new skis will be here around the 18th. : )

James

Out There
Instructor
Don’t get things like base grinds in non skiing town shops. (Unless highly recommended by ski racer people) Things are bad enough in ski town shops. Also, MLK is the absolute worst time for any service. Don’t get things like grinds then. Do it when they’re not that busy.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
The Squire is GW compatible. I have them on my SA 88's 2021's!
SA88.jpg

TS
hollyberry

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Don’t get things like base grinds in non skiing town shops. (Unless highly recommended by ski racer people) Things are bad enough in ski town shops. Also, MLK is the absolute worst time for any service. Don’t get things like grinds then. Do it when they’re not that busy.
Good to know! Yeah, I didn't have high expectations in Baltimore. Not exactly a ski town! :roflmao: It was better when I lived near Hunter, NY. The Pro Ski And Ride was my go-to. The bootfitter there, Keith, seems really good. He is the one I got my current boots from/fitted by.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I ended up buying some new 2021 Nordica Santa Ana 88's from EVO with Marker Squire 11 bindings for about $400 while it was available on Tuesday. I could always return the bindings and get GW compatible, since EVO will not send them mounted. The Santa Ana's seem to be ?sort of? similar to the Fischer Rangers? Hopefully it will end up being a good all-mountain ski. When I have a little more money saved up, I want to buy some really skinny skis to be my devoted carving skis...
That is a pretty amazing ski as well. Very versitile and fun. The Marker Squire 11 is GW compatible so you have no worries there.
The Santa Ana's are quite different than the Fischer Rangers. The Rangers are a bit more nimble, where the SAs are a tad more power oriented.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK now if only I could get angles like that while carving, too! Wow looks awesome.
What’s your BSL?
II have a pair of 165cm Liberty V76’s with Attack13 bindings that I’m looking to pass on. If you can come up to Blue Mtn or Bear Creek you could pick them up. You’d just need to pay for binding adjust or remount and a tune. I’m thinking they need a grind to flatten the bases. I don’t need $$ for them. They currently are in the possession of an instructor at Bear Creek but she doesn’t want them. They are in excellent condition. It would cost you about $150 tops to get them ready.

Sponsor