• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Catchall Food Thread

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Many thanks to @Wendy for scoring this Lebanon bologna! One of my favorites growing up in NEPA but scarce as hens' teeth out west. It's about ⅓ gone since this morning.
38551.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not from eastern PA where this stuff is very common, but to me it seems like a weird kind of salami, not bologna. It is originally from the small town of Lebanon, PA. I prefer mortadella...
It is more salami than bologna.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a NEPA kid…I would describe it as a spicy bologna?

Was a favorite in my school kid lunchbox……from what I remember…. probably with white American cheese and spicy mustard….lol.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
:popcorn:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is more salami than bologna.
Should @Wendy ship you some scrapple? :roflmao:

I have eaten it a few times, okay if very crispy. My dad from Oswego, NY said they would eat in on the farm during the Depression, and that it was shipped in from Pennsylvania Dutch country. Of course, he liked Spam as well, but then he has a 20 year Air Force man from the Korean War through early Vietnam.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hackettstown Cordon Rouge- Chicken wrapped in Lebanon Bologna, then wrapped in Taylor Pork Roll.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I have eaten it a few times, okay if very crispy. My dad from Oswego, NY said they would eat in on the farm during the Depression, and that it was shipped in from Pennsylvania Dutch country. Of course, he liked Spam as well, but then he has a 20 year Air Force man from the Korean War through early Vietnam.
I brought Scrapple for Phil in my carry-on when I flew out to CO in April. Also some summer bologna and some kind of German pork sausage I’ve never heard of. I have TSA pre-check, but was flagged for the meat packages. LOL. The TSA person took out the square paper wrapped block of scrapple and said, “Scrapple, eh?” She still did a swab for the gas chromatograph - I would’ve loved to see that spectrum on the monitor. ogsmile

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink
You truly can get anything on Amazon these days.

But you miss the experience of going here to get it. Check out the sign:
819C6207-9FD5-4BF4-9338-8B78422A57FB.jpeg
I grew up in Lancaster, PA, and we got our meat from a local butcher. I was used to seeing brains, pigs feet, cows’ tongues, and pig’s stomach in the meat case. I never wanted to eat it, but my little kid brain was fascinated by it. When I went to college and saw meat in the grocery store pre-wrapped in plastic, I was horrified. I’d only ever seen meat cut fresh and wrapped in butcher paper. You’ll see the same things in this store pictured above. One thing I’ve never seen before was pickled pigs’ snouts ….big jars of it on the counter. Gross.

When I went in to get Phil’s goodies in April, a very elderly woman cutting vegetables with a very sharp knife waited on me. She was trying to convince me to buy some sticky buns….and she was telling me how they made them there with potatoes instead of flour, while waving the knife a mere inches from my face! It was a bit disconcerting. Her daughter finally came over and said, “‘Mom, I don’t think this woman needs a knife held to her to convince her to buy the buns!” :roflmao:

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

First, thank you to your father for his service. Please do not compare scrapple with Spam, they are not even in the same food category.

Sponsor

Staff online