• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Catchall Food Thread

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Madison Avenue meets ranch hands.

Speaking of branding, SkiTalk needs one of these. (Note that there is no reason whatsoever that you couldn't use this on tofu.)
Especially with all the tofu rustling going on in the West these days.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Antelope burger smothered in sautéed mushrooms and onion and a side of grilled asparagus served with a nice Chateau St. Jean Malbec. Not bad for a Thursday. 20210930_183332.jpg
20210930_185150.jpg

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Antelope burger smothered in sautéed mushrooms and onion and a side of grilled asparagus served with a nice Chateau St. Jean Malbec. Not bad for a Thursday.

Love antelope/elk. I'm wondering where to source. I'm not a hunter.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Love antelope/elk. I'm wondering where to source. I'm not a hunter.
Some high end butchers will either have it or source it. Next time you're in Reno, hollar! If I have any left I can share.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I recall driving past some buffalo and elk ranches when visiting in-laws in Wisconsin. I guess they can make more on the meat than they can on dairy farming. They had shops for direct sales to the public, so maybe check in your area.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
IMG_20220409_181636.jpg
My wife decided that we have had our fair share of Italian food so she made this tray of Stuffed Cabbage like her mother use to make.

Uncle-A

Skier
PXL_20220417_125816831~2.jpg
Easter Sunday brunch, Easter Eggs, baked ham, basket cheese, kielbasa and horseradish, Panettone, and Poppyseed roll.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, no pics….but an observation from dinner last night.

Went to dinner last night in Milford, PA…..place we’ve been lots of times. Upon receiving the bill, they had the total if using cash….but then a total with a penalty/tax charge for using a CC? (the bill was about an extra 10.00 for using a CC).

Nobody really carries cash around anymore….so either the restaurant/CC companies are basically taxing us again?….on top of all the other stuff/inflation has jacked us up on.

It led to a long discussion at the table about how screwed up life/everything/expensive is now?….Even our waitress got into the mix….lol. We all agreed/wondered how people are able to afford to actually do anything anymore?

Anybody else seeing restaurants or businesses starting this new trend of charging fees/tax for using a CC?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, no pics….but an observation from dinner last night.

Went to dinner last night in Milford, PA…..place we’ve been lots of times. Upon receiving the bill, they had the total if using cash….but then a total with a penalty/tax charge for using a CC? (the bill was about an extra 10.00 for using a CC).

Nobody really carries cash around anymore….so either the restaurant/CC companies are basically taxing us again?….on top of all the other stuff/inflation has jacked us up on.

It led to a long discussion at the table about how screwed up life/everything/expensive is now?….Even our waitress got into the mix….lol. We all agreed/wondered how people are able to afford to actually do anything anymore?

Anybody else seeing restaurants or businesses starting this new trend of charging fees/tax for using a CC?
Gas stations do it, different price for cash or credit. Arco charges a flat fee if you use a credit card. When I oversaw operations at our rifle range it cost us money when someone used a card. We were told we could not charge extra for car use. Not sure if that was internal or from the card companies.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gas stations do it, different price for cash or credit. Arco charges a flat fee if you use a credit card. When I oversaw operations at our rifle range it cost us money when someone used a card. We were told we could not charge extra for car use. Not sure if that was internal or from the card companies.
Yeah, knew gas stations did/do it….but this was the first time I saw it at a restaurant. Figure it’s now gonna just be another charge we are going to have endure.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Handling cash costs money too, but it's largely a volume-independent cost. I think that's why a lot of places are going cashless. Eliminate the whole function.

On the other hand, if cc companies can afford to refund 1%, they must be overcharging the merchants.

Uncle-A

Skier
The WAWA gas station by me is the same price for cash or credit card. They are not the cheapest place but not the most expensive either.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It used to be illegal (federal law) to charge more for using a CC. That was changed 5 - 10 years ago and you are allowed to boost the price you charge to cover the fees.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My son owns an all-day cafe in Brooklyn. Hipsters don't have cash. But he has been living on a very small margin during and through the pandemic. He instituted (and posted prominently) a 4% surcharge for CC use. If he didn't do that, he'd reduce his already small margin to "negligible" on most transactions given all his expenses.
An unpleasant reality...but a reality nonetheless.

As someone else noted, CC companies must be earning a fair bit if they can offer % back on cardholder's purchases. Who do we think is bankrolling this gig?

Sponsor

Staff online