• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Don't Try This. Common Gear Handing Mistakes

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
They are to clip a carabiner to the loop
Precisely. I keep a small carabiner attached to my jacket or pants (Hestras usually come with a small, cheap carabiner that is not the best, but it works). I run hot so I often take my gloves off in the lift line to dump heat and prevent sweaty hands. Easy to clip them in so you don’t drop them.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe. Depends on how well the bottom cinches down. Plus then there’s the base layer-sock gap that some can’t stand with 3/4 bases. Like @SBrown
Manufacturers certainly don’t follow this rule. Takes more work to find a base layer in 3/4 length and many don’t make them.
I find if I pull my socks over the bottom of my home made (I cut the bottoms off) ¾ base layer I get no gap.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Maybe. Depends on how well the bottom cinches down. Plus then there’s the base layer-sock gap that some can’t stand with 3/4 bases. Like @SBrown
Manufacturers certainly don’t follow this rule. Takes more work to find a base layer in 3/4 length and many don’t make them.
Not a lot of noobs are going to be wearing base layers that are dedicated exclusively for skiing. For the "New to Skiing" discussion, perhaps suggest the tactic of folding the bottoms up to the knee/top of calf. Gloves, pants, maybe jacket, helmet, and hopefully socks will reside in their new dedicated ski gear bag. Base and mid layers are probably work in progress..

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Precisely. I keep a small carabiner attached to my jacket or pants (Hestras usually come with a small, cheap carabiner that is not the best, but it works). I run hot so I often take my gloves off in the lift line to dump heat and prevent sweaty hands. Easy to clip them in so you don’t drop them.
Handy also for a men's visit to the "head"

Nobody

Skier
I have the loop on my Ortovox "spring gloves" (a thin leather pair with a very thin layer of wool inside), and maybe on another pair, but not, IIRC on my LEKI gloves, BTW.

Nobody

Skier
No one needs to see that. ;)
You should have seen the look on the face of the policeman who stopped me, a couple of years ago, for documents check, when I egressed (having said it beforehand that I was egressing to get my papers that were in the back of the car, Policemen here are mostly cool and keep their cool no matter what, but, still better to state ones intentions before doing anything anyhow) from the car in my base layers only...

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don’t forget to leave a drink (water with electrolytes or the like) plus a snack in the car, especially if you are driving a distanced back from the mountain. Skiing causes dehydration fairly quickly. With that said, if possible fill a small collapsible water bottle and put it in your jacket pocket if skiing somewhere were it is hard to get to a food /beverage counter.

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
When traveling on a plane, never check your boots, they are your carry on.

+2. That said I do enjoy throwing all the carry ones into check baggage on the way home. If I have to wait for my skis may as well do the same for the boot bags on my way home.

Base layers should be above the boot, the only thing you want in the boot is your foot and a sock.
Agreed but explain to me why ski stores care rarely cary 3/4 base layers? Especially for men? It drives me nuts, I almost always have to buy online.

Thought of one missed from what i can tell - Never wear your ski socks to the hill (especially when it’s an hour drive like me) - keep them dry/sweat free.

Last edited:

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don’t forget to leave a drink (water with electrolytes or the like) plus a snack in the car, especially if you are driving a distanced back from the mountain. Skiing causes dehydration fairly quickly. With that said, if possible fill a small collapsible water bottle and put it in your jacket pocket if skiing somewhere were it is hard to get to a food /beverage counter.
And if you ski somewhere that gets really cold, throw a cooler into the car to prevent your drinks and snacks from freezing solid! The insulation works well to keep the inside of the cooler from getting as cold as the outside world. Nothing worse than coming back to a solid block of ice when you’re thirsty.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
1643083396198.png

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah then they lose the stretch seal. If you can sew, you could cut it and reattach.

But, I call bs to the “no base layer in boots edict” while I generally use 3/4, I do it all the time with base layer in. I think I even did it when I had cutoff panty hose feet for socks when the boots were really tight.

As long as it’s not all bunched up, you’re ok esp. if you’ve got chicken legs.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
"new to skiing" folks aren't likely to buy dedicated ski longjohns or cut op the ones they have. Folding them up is way more likely for the "new to skiing" scenario.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah then they lose the stretch seal. If you can sew, you could cut it and reattach.

But, I call bs to the “no base layer in boots edict” while I generally use 3/4, I do it all the time with base layer in. I think I even did it when I had cutoff panty hose feet for socks when the boots were really tight.

As long as it’s not all bunched up, you’re ok esp. if you’ve got chicken legs.

Might be ok with your "chicken legs". However, with my fat calves I have experienced first hand the pain of base layer in boot syndrome: BLIBS. I don;t own any 3/4 lengths. I don't snip. I just fold up and this gives me the added bonus of helping to hold my knee braces on my knees and not slip down.

James

Out There
Instructor
Might be ok with your "chicken legs". However, with my fat calves I have experienced first hand the pain of base layer in boot syndrome: BLIBS. I don;t own any 3/4 lengths. I don't snip. I just fold up and this gives me the added bonus of helping to hold my knee braces on my knees and not slip down.
See, there you go. Dependent on the person.
I’d still say the vast majority of people are skiing with full length base layers unfolded. And I don’t mean < 5 days per year skiers.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
"new to skiing" folks aren't likely to buy dedicated ski longjohns or cut op the ones they have. Folding them up is way more likely for the "new to skiing" scenario.
I continue to marvel at people wanting 3/4 length long johns. Why is folding them up a "new to skiing" thing? I've been doing it for longer than I can count. The socks stick up above the boot cuff and I neatly fold up the bottoms of the johns until they get above the boot but not the socks. No gaps ever and they're completely comfortable. Of course you don't bunch them up, but make a one layer fold. On me it comes up almost to the knees and I get a benefit of double insulation.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Agreed. I could get the base layer in there, but the pain comes at the seam of the baselayer. I guess if you had some with a very minor seam, it could be OK. Or if the seam falls right next to the boot tongue, so the seam is in that little cavity next to the tongue. Mine have a fairly rough seam and don't align with any spare space in the boot.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January