• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PSA Faction CT 1.0 for $222 a pair!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did my DIN calculation — I’m good with Warden 11s and think the red and black would look sliiiiick on the Factions.

Oops I see you already decided on that.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally I'd go with the STHs or if you prefer the wardens get the 13s for the extra $35. It's not about the DIN, it's about their construction.
Hmm. I’m admittedly pretty clueless about bindings (I came to the right place, I know!). What differences in construction between the two matter?

18 seems a bit high for someone your size.
Just my 2 cents.
For instance, I set mine at 7, and the Pivot 18 starts at 8.

Heheh. I’m not saying this to complain about my body image or whatever but you would be shocked, shocked at the numbers on the scale for me. Legs like tree trucks, eh. But, yeah, I can’t actually use the Pivot 18s. Saving ’em for Dr Pugs.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmm. I’m admittedly pretty clueless about bindings (I came to the right place, I know!). What differences in construction between the two matter?

Heheh. I’m not saying this to complain about my body image or whatever but you would be shocked, shocked at the numbers on the scale for me. Legs like tree trucks, eh. But, yeah, I can’t actually use the Pivot 18s. Saving ’em for Dr Pugs.
I'm not judging about skill or body image, but an 18 binding that starts at 8 is a LOT for most of us. There are definitely women who can use the 8-18, and you could be one of them, but based on your conversations here I found it unlikely. ;)

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I sent off pics today of the rust and a top sheet scratch(I was able to remove) and going to get a credit card refund.
Hoping all these complaints will be a strong message that they need to both store their gear better as well as use more appropriate shipping boxes/use bubble wrap and/or paper to better secure the skis before shipping.

Curious if anyone has weighed their new skis yet-after taking rust pictures for refunds of course! Haha

All pairs vary a 20gr or less per side that I have. The 165cm was around 1900gr each, the 178cm around 2040gr each and my 183cm run from 2150-2000gr each.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was thinking more lime 1149 and 1159 after the rust removal lol.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Keep the rust on unless you plan on using them for touring. Then leave wet outside if you’re using them inbounds again…..ogsmile

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My 178's arrived in Tahoe on Monday but I was not there to greet them so they are sitting boxed in my neighbors garage until I return in November. Looking at some of the posted pictures of rust I am wondering if this was such a good deal after all (too good to be true)? If they are offering to pay for a full base grind & tune I will probably be okay with it but worried that by the time I get to it they may not be so generous.
How have you all approached this? Sending them photos of the damage?

On another note I am wondering about the mount point. I definitely want a traditional mount as if I was going to race on them. My first impression was that it would be -3cm but I have been reading -2.5cm?

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
My 178's arrived in Tahoe on Monday but I was not there to greet them so they are sitting boxed in my neighbors garage until I return in November. Looking at some of the posted pictures of rust I am wondering if this was such a good deal after all (too good to be true)? If they are offering to pay for a full base grind & tune I will probably be okay with it but worried that by the time I get to it they may not be so generous.
How have you all approached this? Sending them photos of the damage?

On another note I am wondering about the mount point. I definitely want a traditional mount as if I was going to race on them. My first impression was that it would be -3cm but I have been reading -2.5cm?
We sent photos for my wife's skis but for mine (which arrived a week later), I just used their chat function and told them about it. Got my partial refund with no pictures needed.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
i got 2190 and 2210 on mine, rust removed haha
Bet they would have been heavier than your Black Ops 118 with the rust on there! Haha

Was thinking today how the CT 1.0 and especially the wider CT 2.0 is actually a much better narrow BO then the actual BO 98. Even the CT 1.0 is 200gr heavier and the CT 2.0 is 300gr!

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looking at some of the posted pictures of rust I am wondering if this was such a good deal after all (too good to be true)?
Definitely not. The rust took minutes by hand to remove if yours even has any. Many on other forums have been fine.

I’d have someone take a peak if possible soon and if there is any issue, a full tune is $50 or so and they are willing to pay for it. Use their chat or call them if there’s any rust. Bet it’s less work to prove any issues now as there has been others before you.

I’d recommend a tune on any new ski so to get it for free on skis that are a deal at full price, it’s an unreal deal still.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I definitely want a traditional mount as if I was going to race on them. My first impression was that it would be -3cm but I have been reading -2.5cm?
See you have the 178cm. What’s your size?

A mount at -3cm will be the most traditional mount and “ski the longest” but the -2.5cm initiates turns a bit easier without noticeable loss in top end. 18m radius in the 178cm but very comfortable going straight at speed.

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
The MSP 91 has more sidecut/lower turning radius than the wider version or the SR 88 and CT 1.0 which are similar in length. So the MSP 91 won’t like high speeds as much.

The 184cm SR 88 has a long turn radius and long effective edge like the CT 1.0 but the difference is going to be a stiffer tip/tail in the CT 1.0, an extra 300gr plus in weight, a twin tail and more forward mount.

If you had said you didn’t like the SR 88 off piste as it’s “too hard to pivot” or wasn’t as good tracking in heavy crud, then CT 1.0 would improve that.

Edge grip should be very good on your SR 88 so I’m thinking you should invest in a stone grind to make sure your bases are flat/reset the base bevels and go to a more aggressive side bevel. I’m thinking you are feeling the slightly delay of the less aggressive base bevel before it “locks in” and maybe there is some high spots on the base which would make a ski feel unstable.
Stone grind and reset the edges to 1 base(1.4 plus factory) and 3 degrees side(2 factory) and you may find your ski is transformed.

Well looks like my procrastination led me to miss out on the pair of 183’s for myself. I was ready to bite, the stiffer tip and tails, and heavier ski all sounded like pros to me.

I did snag a pair of the 178’s for the 16 year olds birthday next week though.

Sponsor

Staff online