• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Formula 1 2022

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Without Gasly taking Norris out this would have been a very poor race.
Really? I stopped watching regularly years ago because the races were snooze-fests...this one had a lot of battles for place. And I thought the circuit was a lot better and more interesting than some of the circuits they have bee to in recent years.
Well, different strokes and all...

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
It had battles at the start but then just settled down into a procession. I suspect the only reason it even had the interest it did was due to the lack of knowledge teams and drivers had. They do to do a lot of work to the track to allow for offline racing or it will get very dull in future

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Pretty exciting race I thought. I really enjoyed the battle between RUS and a stricken VER. Sorry for Leclerc who looked like a sure win. Would love to have seen how PER and VER would have battled. Clearly VER was faster but could he have made the pass without DRS?

James

Out There
Instructor
Any consensus on the change from 13 inch to 18 inch wheels and lower profile tires? Did they change the tire degradation rules so they last longer?

scott43

Skier
No they want tire deg. Livens up the racing. The profile change was mostly about relevant technology and suspension performance.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Speaking of deg, interesting that in that hot weather basically no one ran the hard tire and they mostly went for the three stopper. I assume they all knew what they were doing...

scott43

Skier
Speaking of deg, interesting that in that hot weather basically no one ran the hard tire and they mostly went for the three stopper. I assume they all knew what they were doing...
Yeah they know. Pirelli provides options based on what they think teams will want but there are many factors. Track surface, temperatures, level of grip (downforce, braking and cornering). Then the teams guess at strategies based on expected wear for each tire. They do a lot of simulation to figure out what strategy works best. I do like the current tire situation in F1.

scott43

Skier
And it's raining in Monaco..pinball anyone??? :ogbiggrin: What's the over/under on number of finishers...6?? I want some of THAT action!!!

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Fastest (legal) Ferrari engine in years..... and it keeps blowing up.

Might as well hand Red Bull and Max their trophies now

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Talking about the race with a friend this morning I felt that I had to point out how fast Red Bull really was Verstappen derailed by a puncture and Perez going from last to 2nd with the extra stop for the nose. With a clean race they probably would have finished 30 seconds ahead of Ferrari and lapped everyone else!

scott43

Skier
Talking about the race with a friend this morning I felt that I had to point out how fast Red Bull really was Verstappen derailed by a puncture and Perez going from last to 2nd with the extra stop for the nose. With a clean race they probably would have finished 30 seconds ahead of Ferrari and lapped everyone else!
It's possible but sometimes things aren't linear like that. If so though, bodes well for the rest of their season..

Sponsor

Staff online