• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I have 2 Salomon Prophet airs..... black/orange and Yellow..... If they only had a blue.... :daffy: (I like this emo!)
I'm waiting for my yellow Prophet Air to arrive. Best fitting helmet I've ever tried on. Hopefully it arrives before I go skiing or I'm stuck wearing my Smith Variant that doesn'y really fit anymore because the adjustment thingy in the back is broken.

And I noticed you like that emo.

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I'm waiting for my yellow Prophet Air to arrive. Best fitting helmet I've ever tried on. Hopefully it arrives before I go skiing or I'm stuck wearing my Smith Variant that doesn'y really fit anymore because the adjustment thingy in the back is broken.

And I noticed you like that emo.

HA! Yes, the Salomon just feels solid and super comfortable. The air pump thingy will proabably break but it does work. I also like the ear flaps. Super warm.

oh, and :daffy:

Matt iskiIL

Booting up
Skier
I used to never wear one. Then one day about 8 years ago I had an argument with a tree involving my head. The tree sort of won (giant knot in my head) and I have never skied without a helmet since.

Giro will absolutely give you fighter pilot head. Its more important that the helmet fit properly. Check out the Pret or Atomic lineup.

Well, sometimes id like to think i look like this guy with my helmet on. :cool:
TomSki.jpg

However, I mainly wear mine out of fear from others more than for fear of injuring myself. This can be the lift bar as mentioned, or that skier who got on the wrong lift going 200MPH down the hill not knowing how to stop and plowing into me carving my below average turns. I saw it happen, bought a helmet for the next time out.

Attachments

• TomSki.jpg
    TomSki.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 12

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
So after reading the last few posts, WHY do parents who do not wear helmets make their children wear them?

I find this puzzling :huh:
I always told them it was because they were much faster and better skiers than I so they chanced getting hurt but if they wanted to ski wussy like their mom they didn't have to wear it. But no bumps or jumps then. Of course, no one wore helmets back then and they only wore it until they were 8 or 9.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My helmet has saved me from the safety bar many many times.

Mine, too, but then I realized that the bar never hit my head until I got a helmet. It makes me *just* tall enough, I guess ...

The correct answer to all children's questions is because I say so. The follow-up to that is you'll get some say so when you are paying all of your own bills and live not under my roof...until then my word or your mother's is engraved in stone.

And that works super well until they're out of sight of the front yard.

phatskier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
my helmet is for holding my gopro while i ski

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I never wore one until our son started skiing. For me it was completely unreasonable to make him wear one if I didn't. After wearing one once and discovering how much warmer they are than even the best ski hat I have never skied without one.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Better than a 35 mph stick through the liver!
Skier
I have an issue that most do not. I overheat pretty quickly. I wear I uninsulated pants and thin jackets/hoodies. I hardly wear gloves (burton spectre) to speak of, if any at all. and I get hot even wearing a beanie in some really cold weather mid winter.
Is there a way to make a helmet dump heat? All I ever hear is how much warmer they are. That's a bad thing for me, I would need windshield wipers in my goggles.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Take a look at the new Salomon Mtn Lab and Mtn Patrol helmets. Good size vents that are permanently open, removable ear pads, also certified for technical climbing. Also extremely lightweight.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So after reading the last few posts, WHY do parents who do not wear helmets make their children wear them?

I find this puzzling :huh:

I'm not sure of that either. I don't wear anything on my head unless it's sub zero - it's a weird fetish thing. I actually started my kid in a helmet when he was 4, but he spent so much time holding his head, that I took it off and put a hat on. I never made him wear a helmet. I did tell him that if he started playing in the park, a helmet would be required.

The correct answer to all children's questions is because I say so. The follow-up to that is you'll get some say so when you are paying all of your own bills and live not under my roof...until then my word or your mother's is engraved in stone.
Totally! If a parent chooses to include an explanation it's usually an issue of some importance and the child will have some decision making power. When parents don't open it up to discussion, it's non negotiable and to engage in discussion makes it appear negotiable.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have an issue that most do not. I overheat pretty quickly. I wear I uninsulated pants and thin jackets/hoodies. I hardly wear gloves (burton spectre) to speak of, if any at all. and I get hot even wearing a beanie in some really cold weather mid winter.
Is there a way to make a helmet dump heat? All I ever hear is how much warmer they are. That's a bad thing for me, I would need windshield wipers in my goggles.
Skull cap and a lid with the padding removed?

Sponsor

Staff online