• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

flying_j

Notorious Truant
Skier
Because non helmet wearing parents are old enough to make those decisions on their own, possibly detrimental to their health or not. Sorry but I feel that quote is kin to saying why do parents that drink alcohol not allow their children to drink. Because I'm an adult and make my own decisions. I don't like helmets, so I don't wear one. I'm allowed to make that choice, he's 8, he doesn't get a vote.

I grew up skiing without a helmet, and didn't wear one until very recently. I was going this route ("my son will wear one because it's good for him and I can make my own decisions for myself") until my wife made a good argument to me: I should wear my helmet FOR my son. That way, he has a better chance of not ending up without a dad. Or at least a dad who doesn't drool so much :cool:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have an issue that most do not. I overheat pretty quickly. I wear I uninsulated pants and thin jackets/hoodies. I hardly wear gloves (burton spectre) to speak of, if any at all. and I get hot even wearing a beanie in some really cold weather mid winter.
Is there a way to make a helmet dump heat? All I ever hear is how much warmer they are. That's a bad thing for me, I would need windshield wipers in my goggles.

I'd suggest you try to dump heat below your neck so you can wear a helmet.

How many layers do you have under your thin jacket? Try a single layer mid or lightweight zip-T. Open the zipper to vent down to your skin. Also, try a jacket with pit zips and pants with ventilation zips. No long underwear or silk weight if you are still hot.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
I lost the ear pads from my helment the last time I was at Solitude. If anyone finds them, please pm me.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I see Anon has some XL models that come in colors. Their marketing has a new schooler vibe, not sure if that changes the actual product. Anybody have any experience with them?

edit - looked at POC, too, there may be some options.

There are LOTS more options than when I looked a month ago. The online places seem to have finally restocked.

I'd really like to buy one in person though, since the only one I know fits is my old gray Giro. Maybe there brick-and-mortar places have gotten some more stock too. I'll have to check.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Adults need helmets but kids don't. Kids weigh less than adults and their heads are closer to the ground, so in a head first fall there is less force at impact and with short stature there is less distance for the kids head to travel before hitting the snowpack.:popcorn:

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Better than a 35 mph stick through the liver!
Skier
I'd suggest you try to dump heat below your neck so you can wear a helmet.

How many layers do you have under your thin jacket? Try a single layer mid or lightweight zip-T. Open the zipper to vent down to your skin. Also, try a jacket with pit zips and pants with ventilation zips. No long underwear or silk weight if you are still hot.

I don't wear much. My underarmor thermals, and a technical shirt of some sort and that's it. When it's really cold I'll wear a pull over of some sort. If I wear my marmot jacket it has a liner that I keep unzipped from the shell, then just zip the shell. My legs stay unzipped in everything but sub zero temps.....I just get hot. My wife despises me, she can't wear enough clothes.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
My marmot is simply a gore-tex with a zip in fleece. Mostly you'll see me in a hoodie unless it's snowing or exceptionally cold.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My Giro helmet works well on my large head; my Uvex race helmet is a 60 something?. I like the adjustment wheel in the back; a cross over from bike helmets, I think. It has vents that work well, too. I can wear it in the spring and not overheat. In the cold of winter I wear a thin fleece hat under it.

There. I made my presence in the obligatory helmet thread.

Edit: just checked. My Uvex is a 60-61cm. That equates to about a 7 3/4 to 7 7/8. Big head.

Last edited:
TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
I'll take u up on that....beats burning a dollar and a half on something that might wind up eternally hanging on the ski room wall after a use or two.

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
saw a nice Pret helmet, never heard of them does anyone have any info on them or experience wearing them?

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
I hope I don't bleed off heat at a 1:1 ratio, that's still another 25 years of cool down time before I can wear a coat.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Today's helmets aren't like the early Boeris. They were miserable. A half sphere of fiberglass filled with stryofoam. A good design for a cooler, maybe. I had one but needed a removeable liner because it needed to be cleaned every day. Todays helmets are more akin to bike helmets. I often find mine cooler than desired due to all the venting and need a liner to stay warm. My vents are opened and closed by flipping open or closed thin layers of the lining. @Jason Robertson , don't fear the modern helmet for the sake of overheating. ;-) It doesn't have to happen.

Couchmaster

Putting on skis
Skier
As my profile picture shows, I rock climb all the time with out a helmet. That shiny spot isn't a helmet, it's a bald spot LOL. Have been doing so for over 42 years. However, I do wear one on occasion. There are a lot of factors that play into that choice and I make it everytime I go out. Yet I do wear the ski helmet almost 95 % of the time these days. I was blasting down sun warmed snow on 2 Bowl at Mt Hood Meadows, had the whole slope to myself and had made the steep upper part with my skiis carving just as perfect as they ever had in great soft on the top corn snow. I was carrying some nice speed into the middle (right under the chair lift much to everyones soon to start up hooting and pole clapping amusement LOL) where it's not steep at all. I saw the shade coming up but didn't slow down at all. Had made most of the turn and then hit the shade and ice and was down and sliding. Now, I've mountain climbed a lot when I was a pup, and once stopped 3 others on the rope (I was in the lead) via ice axe self arrest on a damned steep slope, so I'm at least as savvy as the next person. Anyway, I proceeded to slide head first all the way down the slope at a pretty nice clip while trying to self arrest with a single ski pole. I'd dumped one pole and had both hands on the other trying to crank it in to get my head pointing uphill. The pole ineffectively bounced off the ice all the way down, not even slowing me down. The skis acted like an anchor, keeping my feet pointed uphill and the head down hill. I was thinking as this shitshow was happening, "I wonder if this is what happened to Sonny Bono?", and he just slid into a tree. I slid quite a long distance, and bought, as it turned out, a matte blue Giro the very next day. :) Have since witnessed an airborne snowboarder slamming into a kid and doing some damage. Kid fortunately had a helmet on or it would have been much worse. My helmet is very comfortable, and I think that's the key to happy helmet use.I figure that ya never know what kind of a day it will be or whats coming up. So I wear one. I bought them for both kids, but didn't enforce them having to wear them. They both chose to do so. Other folks can do what they want, I'm glad we have the personal freedom to chose.

Ignore my long diatribe if you want but at least read this next part. Take your goggles in when you try on the helmet, not all googles work with all helmets. That's all I know.

Last edited:

Sponsor